PDA

View Full Version : small pouch for pack hip belt?

DavidNH
11-13-2005, 14:44
Hi,

I had the idea of getting some sort of small pouch that could attach to my packs hip belt (a gregory forester) that would be large enough to securley hold an AT data book, some candy bars and small bag gorp etc. that way I could have it all in easy reach without taking pack off. Such is my goal.

What do you reccommend and how can I acquire it? this must exist somehow somewhere!

davidnh

Mouse
11-13-2005, 14:54
I looked all over for the right sized pouch. I finally got one intended to hang around one's neck and sewed on one of the removable velcro ice axe straps from my pack to convert it. With that I hung it from my pack's shoulderstrap, to me a somewhat more convenient location than the waistbelt.

Mouse
11-13-2005, 14:56
Ooops, I forgot. Look at pack accessories, travel supplies and wallets, camera accessories: anywhere with pouches until you find one the size and shape you want, then add whatever strap you need to hang it where you want.

Pacific Tortuga
11-13-2005, 15:01
You might want to look at Dana Designs(accessory's) or maybe find one that also has some kind of thin waist belt to use for money,ID or ect. around towns.I bought one that seems to work for me at REI.

MDSHiker
11-13-2005, 15:37
Yeah, I would find the appropriate sized pouch you want and engineer it to fit the hipbelt or shoulderstrap. I have a Forester also and have done just that. I also made it so that I could take it off and strap it around my waist for when I was away from camp or in town. I always kept my valuables in it... and even slept with it. LOL

theurbansuburban
11-13-2005, 15:59
I've had one of the Dana Designs one for a couple years now, and it works pretty well. The main reason I got it was because of the additional water bottle holder, but it has a good sized map, pouch too.

Kerosene
11-13-2005, 16:22
Take a look at the Dana Design Wet Rib (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=DAD1151) and Dry Rib (http://www.danadesign.com/packs/accessories/dry_rib.asp). They're basically zippered pockets that hook into your pack straps and hip belt, with the Wet Rib capable of holding a sports water bottle. They work pretty well, although like many Dana Design products I think that they're over-engineered and a bit heavy (6 oz. for the Wet Rib).

hikerjohnd
11-13-2005, 16:35
I've got a couple of Mountain Smith pouches - three or four - and I use them for snacks and maps. I prefer a couple of smaller bags instead of one big one to better keep stuff separated. I usually hike with to - one for snacks and one for maps.

HikeLite
11-14-2005, 10:36
I use the Outdoor Products Belt Pouch sold at Campmor.

Just Jeff
11-14-2005, 10:54
I use the stuff sack that my rain pants came in, and wrap the mitten hook around the very bottom of my shoulder strap. I can fit a map and water bottle in there, and when I need it I just slide it up the strap until I can reach the stuff. When I'm done, I just let it go and it slides down and back until it's out of my way. Every now and then it bumps my hip, but not a big deal.

I hook my camera the same way on the other side.

tlbj6142
11-14-2005, 11:36
www.orgear.com makes a couple different pouches. Might also want to checkout http://www.simblissity.net/index.htm

orangebug
11-14-2005, 12:59
The problem with the Dana Designs Ribs - they aren't water proof. Water comes barrelling through on sweat or rain, ruining any paper (databook, etc.) that you put in there.

Footslogger
11-14-2005, 13:12
I experimented with a lot of pouches and finally got a small fanny pack for my thru in 2003. It was one with a wide strap. It was large enough to hold my wallet, camera, snacks and quick access items.

The fanny pack went on first and then I attached the backpack buckle underneath. That way the fanny pack did not rest directly on my lower abdomen.

Thing I liked the most about the fanny pack, aside from convenience, was the fact that when I took off my pack I always had my valuables with me. Really nice when I was in town.

'Slogger

sparky2000
11-14-2005, 14:20
The cargo pockets on one's nylon shorts have the same capability for data and small maps. Water is best for most via camel.

orangebug
11-14-2005, 15:48
The cargo pockets will let items slap around as you walk. I reserve them for random trash, paper and maps. My WetRib gets my compass, basic first aid kit, snacks for the day and camera.

I like the idea of a fanny pack as suggested above.

c.coyle
11-14-2005, 16:16
Dancing Light Gear (http://trailquest.net/store.html) has an assortment of small silnylon pouches and a fanny pack.

Footslogger
11-14-2005, 16:23
Dancing Light Gear (http://trailquest.net/store.html) has an assortment of small silnylon pouches and a fanny pack.
=======================================
In general I like Dancing Light Gear stuff but one reason I wouldn't go with that fanny pack is the width of the strap. What I found was that the thinner straps caused more irritation on my lower back. I found one made by Columbia that has a 2" webbing strap. I figured out how long it needed to be and then cut off the excess.

'Slogger

Ramble~On
11-15-2005, 07:20
OR has a black nylon water bottle pocket that weighs very little and works great for all kinds of things on the hip belt.
I've used them for munchies, camera, maps...all sorts of things

soulrebel
11-15-2005, 08:35
www.fuelbelt.com (http://www.fuelbelt.com) dual looped elastic on the back, inner pocket, I might have an extra b/c I bought 2 and I'm not even sure I need them... GG virga.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-21-2005, 09:49
A couple I have used:
Pouch from REI duck back pack rain cover. Lots of fastening alternatives
Gaz 270 stove pouch. smallish belt loops.
Tektronix Oscilloscope probes pouch (really nice but the scope it came with cost 30k)
Various army surplus web gear pouches

Blister
11-21-2005, 15:37
Throughout my hiking careeer i have seen many alternatives. One of the best I have ever seen and could not find was a dana design kangaroo pouch that one of my PCT hiker partners had. I liked the idea of the smaller water bottle being right there, this was before hydartion systems became so popular. This past year I was also searching for a front access pouch to use on my pack. In the end after visiting many types of outfitters that had nothing in the range of what I knew would work for me. I made myself a pouch to be attached to my hip belt. I got the pouch at a dollar store in leadville, CO. The price was right and with all of the extra gear and strapping material I have laying around customed the pouch to secure onto my waistbelt. Of course there was a bit of sewing by hand but it worked out well and I still have and use it.

prozac
11-21-2005, 18:44
I've been looking for the exact same item but did not want to add another 5 or 6 ozs. to my packweight. Just needed something to keep snacks and trash in while hiking as I don't like cargo pockets. The Unslack Pack by Simblissity looks perfect. Lightweight (0.7 oz), waterproof and not too big. Thanx for the link Tlbj6242

TDale
11-21-2005, 21:14
I attach pouches to my shoulder straps and hip belt with small loops of double-sided velcro. Vertical pouches on the shoulder straps, horizontal pouches on the hip belt.