PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Thru-Hike

mPalozzola01
05-18-2015, 21:32
Hi all. This is my first post on the forum. I am currently researching and saving for a 2017 thru-hike. My first question as I begin to plan out what I may want to do is, Is it viable to hammock camp the entire AT. I live in S.Florida and when I camp down here I take my Clark Jungle Hammock. I love it and would love to camp the AT with one but I don't know if there are many stretches in open flat treeless terrain or above the tree line. I can set up on the ground with the Clark occasionally but would greatly prefer not to often. Thanks for the info!

fastfoxengineering
05-18-2015, 22:31
First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, use the search bar and Google and a lot of "beginner" questions are thoroughly answered. When it comes to hammocking on the AT, this website is a great resource as well as hammockforums.net

To answer your question, the AT is a great trail to hammock the whole way. The only place that really restricts you in a hammock on the whole trail is in the smokies. A quick search and you'll find out what I mean.

Many people have used one a thru hike with great success. LonerAT2012 has a youtube channel and he hammocked the whole way.

Also, for the most part on the AT, you can neither tent or hammock above treeline. It's either dangerous or illegal.

Believe it or not, sometimes it's easier to find a spot for your hammock than a tent on the AT.

In conclusion, if you like your hammock, then you should certainly move forward with that decision and start researching other aspects of the hike.

gunner76
05-18-2015, 22:35
Yes you can do the AT in a hammock except in GSNP which requires one to sleep in the shelters but there are some ways around it. I used one on the AT back in the early 70's but did not know about needing insulation and froze my but off...back to the ground until 6 years ago.

Strongly recommend you attend a group hammock hang and check out the different setups being used. Not sure which Clark Jungle hammock you are using but I have a feeling you can find a hammock better suited for hiking AT.

Go join Hammock Forums where all we do is talk about hammocks and watch Shug videos :D

HooKooDooKu
05-18-2015, 22:36
You can't expect to hang in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Unlike most other places along the AT, in GSMNP you can only camp at designated campsites. With one exception all the campsites along the AT in GSMNP are shelters and you are required sleep in the shelter. The only exception is if you are hiking GSMNP on a thru hikers permit and the shelter is already full... then you can tent or hang a hammock near the shelter (hammocks may not be attached to shelters or other buildings in GSMNP ).

mPalozzola01
05-18-2015, 22:38
I do apologize for not using the search to find the beginner section I am still getting used to the format on my phone I am surfing the form using an app tapatalk. The navigation is slightly confusing and less you know exactly how the app works. I do appreciate the answer, and will definitely look through the suggested reading.

One other question which may or may not be in the beginner section but since I have your attention I figure I'll ask quickly; how safe is your gear when working with a hammock on a popular trail like the AT. Do hammock campers tend to hug their bags in the hammock at night or hang them from tree above? I'm used to much less populated trails down here where you may see one or two hikers over a three day period.