PDA

View Full Version : To Have And Have Not...

Trooper347
11-13-2005, 18:34
Hello there all...I would like to get some input on my gear lists, the Have and Have Not lists...The have not list is the gear I have reviwed and am most interested in getting for my thru...I do not expect to be making many mail drops for food or gear, so I am planning on using light clothing, wearing/carrying layers. Thanks in advance for the help in any help on how to lighten this load, or better gear ideas for quality. I am VERY interested in how some others make coffee fresh on the trail, I cannot do the instant...(too many packets eaten dry from mre's while in the Army has ruined instant for me).

HAVE-
1> Clark Jungle Hammock, North American Model.... 3lbs 7oz
2>Swiss Gear Trekking Poles... 1lb 9oz
3>2 each One Liter Nalgene Bottles... 11 oz
4>Cooking Pot and Cup... 8oz
5>Food Sack/Hang Bag... .5 oz
6>Bandannas x2... 1 oz
7>Mid weight "Duo Dry" long sleeve shirt... 7oz
8>Light Weight "duo Dry" T-shirt... 4oz
9>Light Weight "duo Dry" shorts... 5oz
10>SmartWool Hiking Socks x2 pair... 6oz
11>Polarfleece Jacket... 14oz
12>Polarfleece Vest... 11oz
13>Nylon Pants (Zip Off Legs)... 11oz
14>Army Poncho Liner (warm weather bag/hammock cold insulator)... 1lb
15>First aid/Hygene/Survival... 1lbs 10oz
16>ETOWAH Alcohol Stove...4.5oz

Total 12lbs10oz

Have Not List
1> Moonstone "Delta Cirrus" 32 deg. ...1lb 12 oz
2>Gossamer Gear "Mariposa" Pack... 17oz
3>Thermarest "Z-Lite" sleeping Pad... 6.5oz
4>Rei Minimalist Bivy (for the nights when there are no trees lol)... 1lb 1oz
5>Polarfleece Pants... 13 oz
6>Fleece gloves... 5oz
7>Katadyn Mini Filterw/ extra filter cart. ... 9.6 oz
8>Titanium Spoon/fork... 1.4 oz
9>Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp... 1.8 oz
10>Easton Tube Tent Stakes x4... 2oz
11>Gortex Easy Gaitors... 5oz
12>Turtle Fur Fleece Hat... 3oz
13>Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka and Pants... 1lb 10oz
14>Teva Hurricane Sandals...?oz
15>Jagbag Silk Sleepingbag Liner, Endura Mummy... 4.75oz

Total 8lbs 8.6oz

Grand Total=21lbs2.6 oz

I know there are a few items needed, fuel bottle, boots, but those will be bought soon. Again, Thanks for any input about the gear I have selected.

:banana p.s. Just had to throw a 'Nanna in there lol

SGT Rock
11-13-2005, 19:15
Hello there all...I would like to get some input on my gear lists, the Have and Have Not lists...The have not list is the gear I have reviwed and am most interested in getting for my thru...I do not expect to be making many mail drops for food or gear, so I am planning on using light clothing, wearing/carrying layers. Thanks in advance for the help in any help on how to lighten this load, or better gear ideas for quality. I am VERY interested in how some others make coffee fresh on the trail, I cannot do the instant...(too many packets eaten dry from mre's while in the Army has ruined instant for me).

HAVE-
1> Clark Jungle Hammock, North American Model.... 3lbs 7oz
2>Swiss Gear Trekking Poles... 1lb 9oz
3>2 each One Liter Nalgene Bottles... 11 oz
Since you already have the hammock, just work with it. Hammocks are great :D
Your poles should also work for you.
I would loose the nalgens and just get one Gatorade bottle at 1.5 ounces and a platypus bladder at about 1.5 ounces.

4>Cooking Pot and Cup... 8oz
5>Food Sack/Hang Bag... .5 oz
6>Bandannas x2... 1 oz

Do you really need the cup? How big is your pot? You could probably half that weight.
Do you really need two bandanas? One should do it.

7>Mid weight "Duo Dry" long sleeve shirt... 7oz
8>Light Weight "duo Dry" T-shirt... 4oz
9>Light Weight "duo Dry" shorts... 5oz
10>SmartWool Hiking Socks x2 pair... 6oz
11>Polarfleece Jacket... 14oz
12>Polarfleece Vest... 11oz
13>Nylon Pants (Zip Off Legs)... 11oz

You could probably do without the zip off pants.

14>Army Poncho Liner (warm weather bag/hammock cold insulator)... 1lb
Are you sure about that weight? I own two liners, one is 21 ounces and the other is 24 ounces.

15>First aid/Hygene/Survival... 1lbs 10oz

You could probably cut that weight by 3/4 That seems a lot of extra stuff. My "survival" is about 0.5 ounces, first aid/repair kit is about 4.5 ounces, and my hygine is about 4.5 with toliet paper included.

16>ETOWAH Alcohol Stove...4.5oz

Total 12lbs10oz

That is a good stove, but you could reduce to a stove that weighs about 1/4 that.

Have Not List
1> Moonstone "Delta Cirrus" 32 deg. ...1lb 12 oz
That bag sounds good.

2>Gossamer Gear "Mariposa" Pack... 17oz

I don't have experience with that exact pack, but with some similar including some GG stuff. I think you will find that pack is not really up to the loads you plan on inflicting it with.

3>Thermarest "Z-Lite" sleeping Pad... 6.5oz

Is this pad for insulation?

4>Rei Minimalist Bivy (for the nights when there are no trees lol)... 1lb 1oz
Learn to use your hammock as a ground tent and loose the idea of needing this.

5>Polarfleece Pants... 13 oz
6>Fleece gloves... 5oz
7>Katadyn Mini Filterw/ extra filter cart. ... 9.6 oz
Learn to use iodine and vitiman C and you can save yourself about 1/2 pound from this filter.

8>Titanium Spoon/fork... 1.4 oz
All you need is a lexan spoon. No need for a fork since you can eat just about everything you can eat with a fork - with a spoon. A Ti spoon is overated, take my word on it :D

9>Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp... 1.8 oz
10>Easton Tube Tent Stakes x4... 2oz
11>Gortex Easy Gaitors... 5oz
12>Turtle Fur Fleece Hat... 3oz
13>Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka and Pants... 1lb 10oz
14>Teva Hurricane Sandals...?oz
15>Jagbag Silk Sleepingbag Liner, Endura Mummy... 4.75oz

Total 8lbs 8.6oz

Grand Total=21lbs2.6 oz

I know there are a few items needed, fuel bottle, boots, but those will be bought soon. Again, Thanks for any input about the gear I have selected.

Some things to think about you don't have listed:
Lighter
Camera
Journal
Pen
Maps
Guidebook
compass
knife
Fuel bottle (empty soda bottle)

Trooper347
11-13-2005, 19:44
Thanks for the great job on picking apart my list SGT. Rock.
I will...

ditch the bottles, go simpler

use one bandanna

ditch the nylon zip pants

I love the durability/stability of the Etowah, but will look into lighter models

The Therma-rest is for insulation, but also the Mariposa pack support. If I go with another pack, such as a "Wild Things AT" Pack @ 2lbs8oz, I will just use my "Blue" Wallyworld CCF pad

ditch the Bivy

get a lexan spoon

and learn about Iodine or other chemical treatment. I see alot of WB folks use A.M., and I guess I will have to test both to see if the flavors, if any, of the products bother me.

As for the Poncho Liner, I re-weighed it, 16oz confirmed. It was new in the bag, tho in storage since 1993 when I got out of the Army. It appears to have all of its loft, at least compared to the one I kept out of storage, almost the same age.

As for the "Survival/Hygine/FirstAid" bag, In it are my swiss army knife, small digital camera, notepad, pen, compass, trash bags, and a few other items I consider important to take. Sorry I did not break the list down further, I just accepted the 1lb10oz and took it for granted.

Again, Thank you for your input, I will use it , and any other great ideas I am finding here on WhiteBlaze.

SGT Rock
11-13-2005, 19:57
Thanks for the great job on picking apart my list SGT. Rock.
The Therma-rest is for insulation, but also the Mariposa pack support. If I go with another pack, such as a "Wild Things AT" Pack @ 2lbs8oz, I will just use my "Blue" Wallyworld CCF pad
I don't know that pack, but I have a couple of friends that LOVE the ULA P2, and that is slightly less in cost than the Wild Things AT but slightly higher in weight (7 more ounces)

and learn about Iodine or other chemical treatment. I see alot of WB folks use A.M., and I guess I will have to test both to see if the flavors, if any, of the products bother me.
I've used them both, I went back to iodine and Vit C because it is cheaper.

As for the "Survival/Hygine/FirstAid" bag, In it are my swiss army knife, small digital camera, notepad, pen, compass, trash bags, and a few other items I consider important to take. Sorry I did not break the list down further, I just accepted the 1lb10oz and took it for granted.
Good deal. Then that weight ain't bad with all that.

Good luck.

Trooper347
11-13-2005, 20:14
I don't know that pack, but I have a couple of friends that LOVE the ULA P2, and that is slightly less in cost than the Wild Things AT but slightly higher in weight (7 more ounces)

Good luck.

I just looked at ULA's web-page, and the P2 is no longer offered, tho they offer the "catalyst" at 43oz now. Not a bad looking pack. Also I have researched the "LuxuryLite" system, and it looks interesting to say the least.

Thanks again for the help :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
11-13-2005, 20:22
The Luxury Lite pack works well, and it can be used as a chair. Not bad. I've tried one of the lower priced aluminum frame versions. The hip belt is a way cool adaptation.

Seeker
11-14-2005, 13:27
rock just about covered everything i'd have said, and a few i hadn't thought of. rock, just a note-my poncho liner also weighs 16oz... i think the newer ones are thicker/larger/heavier... mine dates to 1995.you might already have done the down vs synthetic analysis and come up with your ideal bag. if not, and money's not a huge factor, look at a down bag from WM... i've got a Caribou (35*) that weighs about 20oz.the walmart grease pot is about 4oz, and a plastic measuring cup is another oz... an ion stove is less than an ounce.fleece gloves... just a note-i just found a pair at walmart for $2, not on sale... camo pattern. not sure how long they'll last, but for $2, wth... fleece pants-walmart had some on sale last year (mens pajama bottoms, actually) for $9, and i'm still kicking myself for not buying a set... this year, they don't carry them in the men's department... i can get them over in the girls section, but instead of plain old blue or green, i'm offered designs... like tinkerbell, mickey mouse, barbie, spongebob, etc... even in the dark, under my rain pants, i'm not wearing spongebob pants... (tinkerbell might be ok though... whatta ya say guys?)like rock said, don't waste money on a spork.. get the titanium foon instead... (just kidding...) a lexan spoon is all you need. there are lighter alternatives, but probably not as durable. JustJeff once gave me a rundown of some viable fast food spoons that are really light and hold up well enough, but i've forgotten what thread they were on... DQ was one that i recall...my 2 cents worth...

QHShowoman
11-14-2005, 13:42
Old Navy carries tons of fleece items ... pants, gloves, shirts, etc. .... not as cheap as Wal Mart, but still affordable.

Trooper347
11-14-2005, 14:01
Thanks Seeker and QHShowoman for the tips, I'll check out Walmart and Old Navy for those items. Also I will look into WM bags, at this point, the weight of the overall pack is the most important thing to me. So the WM bags may be the better option. Thanks again.

JP
11-14-2005, 15:41
The important item... coffee. Get corse ground beans use about a teaspoon per cup and just boil it. Add some cold water when its as dark as you like it and the grounds will settel to the bottom of your pot.Pour slow and sip careful, have fun !

Trooper347
11-14-2005, 18:40
:banana
JP, that's the tip I was waiting for...here I was planning on a camp percolator, and missed the obvious answer. Thanks for the tip!