PDA

View Full Version : Cottage Quilt Makers

FlyFishNut
05-19-2015, 13:26
Hi -
I'd like to get a nice quilt to use in warmer months in my hammock as well as use to supplement my cold weather sleeping bag during winter and would like to do business with a local cottage type supplier.

Can you guys advise some links??

Thanks,
FFN

Studlintsean
05-19-2015, 13:36
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

I just received a 40 deg quilt from EE. I will be testing it out on a 5 day trip in June and then throughout the summer into the fall.

Bluegrass
05-19-2015, 13:46
Another vote for Enlightened Equipment. I have a 20 degree Revelation from them, along with a 40 degree underquilt. Good prices, and great products.

Tuckahoe
05-19-2015, 13:47
Any of the cottage quilt makers are well regarded. In addition to Enlightened Equipment there are these --

Jacks R Better -- http://www.jacksrbetter.com

Kickass Quilts from Arrowhead Equipment -- http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c3/KAQ_Synthetic_Quilts.html

Underground Quilts -- http://www.undergroundquilts.com

Wilderness Logics -- http://wildernesslogics.com/main.sc

mudsocks
05-19-2015, 14:08
Hammock Gear -- http://hammockgear.com
UGQ -- http://undergroundquilts.com/
Jacks 'R' Better -- http://www.jacksrbetter.com/
Arrowhead Equipment -- http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/

Billiard Yeti
05-19-2015, 14:09
http://www.hammockgear.com/

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/

Odd Man Out
05-19-2015, 16:15
I love my Underground Quilt. Many options. Custom order just the way you want it.

fastfoxengineering
05-19-2015, 20:23
all the vendors mentioned at hammockforums.net are worth mentioning.

I have only ever ordered from hammock gear

I might hit up wilderness logics for a tadpole tarp though

billnchristy
05-19-2015, 20:29
I like all the length options with the UG quilts, my wife doesn't need a full length but a 3/4 would be too short. The 7/8th sounds just right.

Just Bill
05-19-2015, 20:51
ARG...
I have nothing meaningful to say until next week, but I really, really hope to add my name to that list shortly.

Just A Quilt- 0.1

Model
Temp
Ounces
Grams

SUL

Regular

Big Guy

billnchristy
05-19-2015, 21:34
I'll be looking for that post. We are in need of three.

fastfoxengineering
05-20-2015, 13:30
ARG...
I have nothing meaningful to say until next week, but I really, really hope to add my name to that list shortly.

Just A Quilt- 0.1

Model
Temp
Ounces
Grams

SUL

Regular

Big Guy

synthetic or down? Because you've been so good to me Just Bill. you have my support.

Just Bill
05-20-2015, 23:14
synthetic or down? Because you've been so good to me Just Bill. you have my support.

Synthetic-
As I recently received my official approval as vendor- I can say specifically Primaloft Gold.
I may use some Apex for certain pieces, but very excited to be one of the few globally, and perhaps the only US vendor making Primaloft Gold quilts.
I found one guy in Japan, but no one else offering this product. I'm not positive, so call it speculation. I haven't looked hard enough to claim it.

Lot's of fine folks mentioned above, plenty of fine down gear out there. In the above freezing range synthetic still has many advantages and if you balance weight and cost I think it's the clear winner in 40 degree and up pieces. Sometime between 35 and 20 degrees the advantage tends to fall to down. I'll be adding a 25 degree synthetic to the line but likely won't venture into down or much below those temps.

There is much more involved in making Primaloft based stuff over Apex- but the weight, feel, function, packability are worth the extra headaches I think. Still working out some final production details- but I feel pretty good about this rating system and offering a 45 and 25 quilt. Field testing and the math seem to agree- that's always a bonus!

Suggested-
Cool
Average
Warm
Extreme

CLO 2.76

Suggested-
Cool
Average
Warm
Extreme

CLO 5.52

What I'd really like to show you is my bridge- I think that is a piece of engineering you'd be highly interested in.
Micro bridge (including poles and suspension) is in the 10 ounce range. Comfy enough for me- but if you don't sleep well on a 20" pad- most might find it tight.

My more production minded and (slightly) more mainstream version is about 13 ounces as of the last version. I got the math sorted I think and this guy is so flat you can belly sleep deeper than an Irishman with $200 tab at the Inn @ Long Trail.

BUT I can't quite show it yet...ARGGH :mad:

tracedef
05-27-2015, 17:27
My go to underquilt for the last year or so has been an Englightened Equipment Revolt and am a big fan of the Revelation top quilts ... for hanging or ground. Here's a list of cottage companies I built ... it still needs quite a bit added to it, but it's a start for an overview: Cottage Industry Hammock Underquilts (http://alpinescience.com/gear-cat/hammock-gear/under-quilts/)

Kraken Skullz
07-09-2015, 06:44
Synthetic-
As I recently received my official approval as vendor- I can say specifically Primaloft Gold.
I may use some Apex for certain pieces, but very excited to be one of the few globally, and perhaps the only US vendor making Primaloft Gold quilts.
I found one guy in Japan, but no one else offering this product. I'm not positive, so call it speculation. I haven't looked hard enough to claim it.

Lot's of fine folks mentioned above, plenty of fine down gear out there. In the above freezing range synthetic still has many advantages and if you balance weight and cost I think it's the clear winner in 40 degree and up pieces. Sometime between 35 and 20 degrees the advantage tends to fall to down. I'll be adding a 25 degree synthetic to the line but likely won't venture into down or much below those temps.

There is much more involved in making Primaloft based stuff over Apex- but the weight, feel, function, packability are worth the extra headaches I think. Still working out some final production details- but I feel pretty good about this rating system and offering a 45 and 25 quilt. Field testing and the math seem to agree- that's always a bonus!

Suggested-
Cool
Average
Warm
Extreme

CLO 2.76

Suggested-
Cool
Average
Warm
Extreme

CLO 5.52

What I'd really like to show you is my bridge- I think that is a piece of engineering you'd be highly interested in.
Micro bridge (including poles and suspension) is in the 10 ounce range. Comfy enough for me- but if you don't sleep well on a 20" pad- most might find it tight.

My more production minded and (slightly) more mainstream version is about 13 ounces as of the last version. I got the math sorted I think and this guy is so flat you can belly sleep deeper than an Irishman with $200 tab at the Inn @ Long Trail.

BUT I can't quite show it yet...ARGGH :mad:
Are you up and running yet?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Vegan Packer
07-09-2015, 16:43
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

+1, but this is my first quilt. I can't say what the competitors are like, but I am pleased with my Prodigy 50 degree quilt.

Lots of size configurations available.

Just Bill
07-09-2015, 17:09
Are you up and running yet?

Unfortunately not.

I made a business and quality decision to have these quilts made by an experienced sewing contractor who specializes in outdoor gear.
I sew acceptably, but not with any speed or beauty. At some point I would need to go that route (as some other cottage folks have) so I made the choice to subcontract the sewing from the start and invest in prototyping new gear rather than sewing equipment.

Unfortunately coming from a construction background I'm a bit naive as to the pace of the sewing industry in general and getting the first run kinks worked out. It still looks like I am on track for the fall, perhaps early August, but as late as September.
My "Not a Kilt" will come out a bit later but hopefully by October.

Since production slowed I got sidetracked too with a personal project (a book) but my website will hopefully be up soon.

I am not yet taking any pre-orders but the first run of quilts (opening inventory) will roughly be-

Model
Temp
Count

SUL

REGULAR

BIG GUY

SUL

REGULAR

BIG GUY

I'm going to try to run my business as openly as I can, so when it arrives that will be my opening inventory and I have no idea how quickly that may sell (or if it sells at all). Being a responsible dad I have some reserve savings, but my wife and I have agreed to take the risk and go for it so I put as much of my money into it as I could. So much so that I don't have any fabric around to make a one-off or sew a few directly for folks... perhaps a mistake on my part.

But anywho...
If you are interested or would like more info my e-mail is up and running at this point. [email protected]
As I said, too early to do orders and I don't feel right even offering a pre-order or taking a deposit until I get the finished products in my hand and verify quality and specs have met expectations and I can provide a solid delivery date.

If you do have a strong interest please let me know. If it turns out there is some demand perhaps I can find a way to adjust on the fly and start an informal waiting list at least.

We all know the first week is the hardest... this hike is still heading up the damn steps of the approach trail.
Man them falls are pretty but can't wait to get to Springer and get this thing rolling.

Thanks so much for your patience and interest.

Kraken Skullz
07-09-2015, 17:12
Unfortunately not.

I made a business and quality decision to have these quilts made by an experienced sewing contractor who specializes in outdoor gear.
I sew acceptably, but not with any speed or beauty. At some point I would need to go that route (as some other cottage folks have) so I made the choice to subcontract the sewing from the start and invest in prototyping new gear rather than sewing equipment.

Unfortunately coming from a construction background I'm a bit naive as to the pace of the sewing industry in general and getting the first run kinks worked out. It still looks like I am on track for the fall, perhaps early August, but as late as September.
My "Not a Kilt" will come out a bit later but hopefully by October.

Since production slowed I got sidetracked too with a personal project (a book) but my website will hopefully be up soon.

I am not yet taking any pre-orders but the first run of quilts (opening inventory) will roughly be-

Model
Temp
Count

SUL

REGULAR

BIG GUY

SUL

REGULAR

BIG GUY

I'm going to try to run my business as openly as I can, so when it arrives that will be my opening inventory and I have no idea how quickly that may sell (or if it sells at all). Being a responsible dad I have some reserve savings, but my wife and I have agreed to take the risk and go for it so I put as much of my money into it as I could. So much so that I don't have any fabric around to make a one-off or sew a few directly for folks... perhaps a mistake on my part.

But anywho...
If you are interested or would like more info my e-mail is up and running at this point. [email protected]
As I said, too early to do orders and I don't feel right even offering a pre-order or taking a deposit until I get the finished products in my hand and verify quality and specs have met expectations and I can provide a solid delivery date.

If you do have a strong interest please let me know. If it turns out there is some demand perhaps I can find a way to adjust on the fly and start an informal waiting list at least.

We all know the first week is the hardest... this hike is still heading up the damn steps of the approach trail.
Man them falls are pretty but can't wait to get to Springer and get this thing rolling.

Thanks so much for your patience and interest.
I'd be interested in checking out your prototypes to be your guinea pig for the southeastern region. [emoji6]

Just Bill
07-09-2015, 17:21
I'd be interested in checking out your prototypes to be your guinea pig for the southeastern region. [emoji6]
Might have a slightly faster fella signed up for that already, lol.

What's going into production is version 20 ish, lol. I sold most of the prototypes off to raise funds for this venture.
Several went to WB folks but I won't bug em to give feedback unless they choose to.
Many of those were Apex Quilts too, not Primaloft so perhaps not a good comparison. It came down to the wire if I could pull the PL off but that was always my first choice.

I am considering a kids line or cheapie version for Scouts with Apex but that's probably next season.

Kraken Skullz
07-09-2015, 17:44
Keep us posted. I'm sure you will have good support here on the forums.

jbo
07-09-2015, 17:48
Can't wait to see how this works out for you. I think it will be great to have another cottage maker in the mix. I always like options.

Just Bill
07-09-2015, 18:32
Thanks to you both!
I respect the folks that are out already, I also worked pretty hard not to make copycat gear or something you couldn't get already.
Tim at EE makes very nice stuff, so do many others.

To the best of my knowledge no U.S. company makes a Primaloft Gold quilt or sleeping bag.
If I was making Apex I'd have them on the shelf, but PL Gold required some special techniques (thus the manufacturing troubles).
I'm also going to try very, very hard to hold my introductory prices permanently.
"Light, Cheap, Well Made- pick three!" is what I'm hoping for.

And I know for a fact my "Not A Kilt" will be the lightest and cheapest hiking skirt available.

I do have about 5-6 gear testers lined up north south, east and west of various skill sets too, they will be my long term testers... but if stuff pops in the future I am always looking for feedback and I always start here.

jbo
07-09-2015, 18:55
You sold me at "pick three" lol. I will buy one for sure

jbo
07-09-2015, 18:57
Any kickstarter campaign the works?

Walkintom
07-09-2015, 19:52
Sounds like a good product that will fill a missing niche. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a few of these.

Just Bill
07-09-2015, 20:24
Any kickstarter campaign the works?

LOL...
After a brief bit of thought and wishful thinking, those don't seem to be too popular amongst my intended customer base. :eek:

jbo
07-09-2015, 20:30
LOL...
After a brief bit of thought and wishful thinking, those don't seem to be too popular amongst my intended customer base. :eek:
I was unaware. I would have thought the opposite and it would have been a great kickstarter idea.

Thanks for the info.

Just Bill
07-09-2015, 20:35
LOL, might not be the end of the world...
but fer the most part folks here tend to appreciate those who do for themselves.

I am still considering it here and there, or some type of investor... mainly so that I can bring more stuff to market faster and pursue a few patents.
Unfortunately some of my bridge hammocks, packs and shelters are on lockdown for a bit while I get the ball rolling towards that goal.

One day at a time...

slbirdnerd
07-10-2015, 07:59
+1 for Hammock Gear!

Dogwood
07-10-2015, 10:22
ARG...

Just A Quilt- 0.1

Model
Temp
Ounces
Grams

SUL

Regular

Big Guy

Taking a relabeling que from Starbucks hey? Their small is called a tall. Their med is a grande. Their large is a Venti. I think you've invented a new category for the "husky" folks calling it Big Guy. :) Just bustin ya chops Big Guy. :)

Is your site up yet? I want to know the dimensions of the SUL. Specifically, I'm really interested in the width and especially the length. Up to what height user will the SUL be good for? Do you have a giraffe category? That's the one I would need at 6'4". C'mon, talk to me Bill. You're a biz man now. BTW, I've been enjoying your book Lying on the Trail. :)

Just Bill
07-10-2015, 15:11
Taking a relabeling que from Starbucks hey? Their small is called a tall. Their med is a grande. Their large is a Venti. I think you've invented a new category for the "husky" folks calling it Big Guy. :) Just bustin ya chops Big Guy. :)

Is your site up yet? I want to know the dimensions of the SUL. Specifically, I'm really interested in the width and especially the length. Up to what height user will the SUL be good for? Do you have a giraffe category? That's the one I would need at 6'4". C'mon, talk to me Bill. You're a biz man now. BTW, I've been enjoying your book Lying on the Trail. :)

What book, I never wrote a book...

Everyone needs a little marketing splooge. ;)

Just a Quilt-0.1-Fall 2015 Specs and Pricing- http://1drv.ms/1D5UWLG
Just a Quilt- 3.0-Old one for pictures only- http://1drv.ms/1IPwCUF

Once more, my apologies for jumping the gun a bit. The Fall 2015 sheet shows the correct specs and prices for the first production run (the quilts for sale)
The Just a Quilt 3.0 is an older Apex prototype and this quick and dirty flyer was for that product. So please ignore specs and prices. While the production models will be slightly different, the pictures at least give you a good idea. The size regular is basically what is there.

Sizes-
SUL is as tight as I could reasonably go, that said I'm 510, 210 lbs with a 44 chest and use it just fine. Slimmer/athletic folks will find it cut pretty generous. This is the design I refined for my speed hiking kits, with everything I could cut but still have a useful piece of gear. Despite the SUL namesake, this isn't cut to the razors edge of uselessness. But if you're not chasing the ounce and a half... it's probably not for you.

Average is well average, so most will prefer Regular. This is what's in the pictures attached. It has a more generous foot box so it's easy to move, a few extra inches in the body, and a few extra inches in the length. Overall most folks will find this one to be just right.

Big Guy- I think that many folks (for a 3 ounce penalty in 45*) who are not sure about a quilt, worried about drafts, or just plain old don't want to fuss will really like this size. So this is generously sized for those not sure about a quilt, who don't like to mess around, night time ninjas, furious thrashers, or just plain bigger folks. My son and I can sleep in this one together no-problemo on a 25" Neo-air.

On the height-
Partly business, partly reality; I'm just getting going so stocking lots of different specialty sizes didn't make much sense. That said, I like my quilts taller than most, and my base sizes reflect that. Also, in this design and with the Primaloft Gold you loose a bit less in the foot box than with an APEX quilt. About 4-6" in my experience. Folks of your towering stature DW could probably make the regular work with a slight loss in mummy options, but if in doubt the Big Guy should easily work for folks up to 6'6"

To give you a frame of reference versus EE quilts-
SUL is 78" tall= Regular in EE.
Regular is 80" tall- 2" taller than EE.
Big Guy is 85" tall- 1" taller than EE's long size (84")

As you can see in the pics, at 5'10" I've got room to curl the top over or mummy up with a side sleep position slightly curled.
In a hammock as a top quilt I would recommend the Regular at a minimum unless you really know your stuff or you are under 5'8"

WingSpan!
This is a play on an idea that Farmer Chef once posted. After 10 or so tries I got it down!
A traditional quilt is taper cut (EE for example) the taper reduces some of the weight while allowing the quilt to be big enough to give you something to grab onto and tuck in to bust drafts. But if the whole point of a quilt is to reduce carried insulation and eliminate the insulation that you compress under you- why insulate the tapered part of the quilt? So Just A Quilt has a simple solution- insulate a generous area to ensure comfort and provide a single layer of fabric to help you bust drafts and tuck in tight when you want to and avoid hauling around what you don't need.

On the list is a side by side of Just a Quilt to EE's design. In doing so you can see where what you need is what you get. Large core area of insulation, and even more fabric to grab onto. As a result I'm able to pack more insulation into the least amount of material and just do the job by working smarter not harder. Ultra Right and not stupid light.

Temps-
I'm also working on a more indepth article in general, but our recent discussions in other threads might help shed some light on the variability of temp ratings. I want to be as honest as possible- so there is the CLO rating, and roughly the corresponding temps for cool, average, warm sleepers. Extreme is what an experienced, properly clothed user in a complete sleep system may be able to "Push" What does that mean, is the quilt really that warm? If you're asking the question the answer is no. And if you've never used a quilt, consider yourself a Cool sleeper.

You will also see the R-value of the corresponding sleeping pad. Quilts are part of a system, if your pad doesn't at least meet or exceed the matching R-value, your system is broken. Same goes with proper headwear, face protection for the 25*, and clothing. Your shelter choice plays a factor as well. Don't expect to slap down your 3/8" blue foamy, slip on a merino beenie and cowboy camp in at freezing in a 25* quilt.

Some general things-
QUILTS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE! They take some time and experience to learn to use, and a careful review of your sleep system in general.

If you really, really, really want a zippered footbox... you're going to have to call EE.
If you want simple, nothing to break, and a little cheaper and lighter- Just a Quilt.
If you want down- the list is endless but doesn't start with Town's End.
It does come with a pad strap kit- it is basically just 1/16" shock cord, some mitten hooks and cord locks. Nothing fancy.
I'm working on instructions for two ways to customize your choice.

If you want Primaloft Gold, a clever design, and a good price- no where to go but Town's End!

No colors, no stuff sack, no logos, just what you need and no BS.
Just the lightest, best, affordable, and well made quilt that I could build for you.

Town's End vs EEsynthetic- Spec comparison- http://1drv.ms/1GcMY3r
Town's End vs. EE-Sizing Comparison- http://1drv.ms/1GcNcHN

Dogwood
07-10-2015, 15:27
That's a BIG arse bat on your deck or is it a stuffed eggplant on roided up MiracleGro?

Just Bill
07-10-2015, 18:17
Eggplant grown using PRIMALOFT GOLD!

For fun... not a total direct comparison but as close as it will get.

Town's End vs EEsynthetic- Spec comparison- http://1drv.ms/1GcMY3r
Town's End vs. EE-Sizing Comparison- http://1drv.ms/1GcNcHN

And in business they say; competition is the sincerest form of flattery. I think EE's synthetic quilts are the closest direct competitor, but I don't mean to imply anything other than that. They make good stuff, and Tim got started the same way I did... making gear for himself. His down products are some of the best around. I have used Apex insulation for years but I truly believe Primaloft Gold to be the superior product, and my designs just a hair more clever in terms of warmth to weight.

Apex vs. Primaloft Gold-
The simple answer- it's like comparing Wool to Merino wool. Softer, better performance, more packable, better feel, better when wet (though they are both good).
Primaloft Gold is tricky to work with, and Apex has been considered "good enough" for it's balance of cost, weight, performance. What's new for me?
A trick, cause you know I like tricks, that I cannot share to resolve many of the manufacturing costs, although labor is still 50% higher than Apex.
My trick also solves the durability issues one might have if they tried to cheat on the manufacturing and quilting requirements without impacting CLO values. Apex is .82 CLO, PL Gold is .92 CLO- a great number on paper whose advantage is easily lost with the wrong assembly (sewn thru quilting).

The tricks I can share; good design to reduce labor and material overall, good business and a general contractors experience to keep overhead low and slash costs, good partners in supply and manufacturing. So I can deliver what should be 25% more expensive, for the same or a little better price than my competition.

Down vs. Synthetic-
It isn't for everyone, but for those wondering when the synthetic vs. down gap would close... it's getting very close with this product which is why I am excited to bring it to market. If you can't afford down, are tough on your gear, don't want to worry about water, or push the limits of your gear there are still many good reasons to look to synthetic in the 30* and up range. Above 30* you may find that synthetic is actually lighter. Much below 30* and I still think that a good down mummy bag is the clear winner.

Temps-
So that's why I am offering the versatile 25* to compete with the typical 20* down quilt many like to carry.
The 45* synthetic... you'd be hard pressed to beat it by much on weight in down and you could easily pay double the price to do it.
Prove it? Okay-
A Zpacks Regular/Long 40* bag- 13.2 oz and $360.
Town's End SUL 45* is 13.6 oz and $145.22
- 1/2 an ounce for $150 is $300 an ounce- OUCH!
Exciting- YES! Because Synthetics require no baffles it can be very competitive in low weights. Shell weight vs. fill weight ratios get so close as to be negligible... well there is a .4 oz or so difference.. but for $150 I'd call that non-existent.

Not to pick on the hammock guys out there- but for synthetic I don't think there's a comparison.
For down... you guys have fun with that. :)

Dogwood
07-10-2015, 18:23
Hey, since you didn't write that book if a royalty check is mistakenly mailed to you forward it to me. :D

Much gracias for all da beta. Stay safe. Stay outta the south side. Sounds like it's the old west out there.