PDA

View Full Version : Grafton notch to rangeley

tonyjackson
05-19-2015, 16:46
I'm doing a section hike next week (memorial day to Friday) from route 26 in Grafton notch to route 4 in rangeley. I was wondering if any thru hikers have made it that far yet. I know you would have had to be haulin' to get there that fast, just thought I'd ask.

peakbagger
05-19-2015, 17:15
There was a recent trail report from last weekend on VFTT.org regarding severe blowdowns on the AT ascending Baldpate from Graton Notch. You may want to bring a saw for the blowdowns and a sense of humor for the black flies that are out in full force. The late winter and mud season may have delayed maintainers from addressing a lot of issues.

Rain Man
05-19-2015, 23:34
Would love to know your thoughts after doing it. I'll be doing that section starting Labor Day weekend.

LoneStranger
05-20-2015, 08:07
There was a recent trail report from last weekend on VFTT.org regarding severe blowdowns on the AT ascending Baldpate from Graton Notch. You may want to bring a saw for the blowdowns and a sense of humor for the black flies that are out in full force. The late winter and mud season may have delayed maintainers from addressing a lot of issues.

Had been considering the GLT for this weekend until I saw that trip report. Blowdowns don't scare me as I'm used to unmaintained wilderness trails, but those alpine bogs have some man eating mud holes I'd rather let dry out a bit before heading up there. That whole section is likely to be pretty wet this early.

tonyjackson
05-20-2015, 19:15
I hiked baldpate about 5 years ago in mid may. I know what you mean about those bogs. If i remember, the one between the two peaks had a boardwalk about an inch above the surface of the muck. *fingers crossed*