PDA

View Full Version : converting XL pants to something more useful

Deb
11-13-2005, 19:51
I was recently given two new pairs of XL pants - one is Goretex rainwear and one is a very bulky down pair for extreme cold.
I'm small, 5-2, and can't wear them, but I was thinking - there is a lot of good material there, maybe I can convert them into something useful.
I was thinking of a stuff or food sack for the Goretex and maybe down socks.
Any ideas? Has anyone else done a similar conversion?

Roland
11-13-2005, 20:00
~~~ I was thinking of a stuff or food sack for the Goretex and maybe down socks.
What if you sold the pants? You could give an XL guy a great deal on some new duds, and use the cash to buy fabric of your choice.

DebW
11-14-2005, 11:17
Maybe you could turn the goretex pants into a bivy sack (or part of one). I wouldn't waste goretex on stuff sacks. Maybe the down pants could become an ultra-light 3/4 length sleeping bag (combine with jacket for sleeping in moderate weather). Or maybe a down vest. This sounds like a fun project.

PKH
11-14-2005, 15:15
Since you're planning on getting your scissors out, why not convert the lower legs to a pair of home made gaitors? It would be fairly easy to fit elastic at the tops and bottoms to keep them in place.

Cheers,

PKH

Footslogger
11-14-2005, 16:00
[quote=PKH]Since you're planning on getting your scissors out, why not convert the lower legs to a pair of home made gaitors?
==========================================
Then you'd have a pair of shorts (albeit Gortex) AND a pair of gaitors. If you didn't want to go the shorts route there'd probably be enough fabric in the upper legs for 2 decent sized stuff sacks.

'Slogger

MisterSweetie
11-14-2005, 21:54
I have the same issue. Pair of XL gortex pants (that are HUGE XL).. I'm now a L at most, and the pants swallow me whole. But I'd be more likely to follow the suggestion above and sell them instead of making something else out of them, since my sewing skills are nonexistent.

bogey
11-14-2005, 21:56
I was recently given two new pairs of XL pants - one is Goretex rainwear and one is a very bulky down pair for extreme cold.
I'm small, 5-2, and can't wear them, but I was thinking - there is a lot of good material there, maybe I can convert them into something useful.
I was thinking of a stuff or food sack for the Goretex and maybe down socks.

Not in the same realm, but when I melted the bottom of my Frog Toggs pants, my wife wanted to convert what was left into waterproof capris. :p

Deb
11-15-2005, 11:16
Thank you for the ideas, everyone. Winter is a good time for a sewing project.