PDA

View Full Version : How much time should I give myself to set up camp?

troubletrev
05-20-2015, 09:27
This July I'll be hiking a section of the AT from Springer Mountain to Erwin TN. I want to complete this journey within a 21-24 day time period. My goal is to cover as many miles as I can by beginning the day early and finishing the day late. How many hours should I give myself to wind down and set up camp at the end of each day? Days are much longer in the summer so I'm pretty fortunate. I am open to any advice or knowledge you may have. Thanks!

4eyedbuzzard
05-20-2015, 09:43
This July I'll be hiking a section of the AT from Springer Mountain to Erwin TN. I want to complete this journey within a 21-24 day time period. My goal is to cover as many miles as I can by beginning the day early and finishing the day late. How many hours should I give myself to wind down and set up camp at the end of each day? Days are much longer in the summer so I'm pretty fortunate. I am open to any advice or knowledge you may have. Thanks!Practice setting up camp, cooking dinner, hanging bear bag, cleaning up, etc. before beginning your hike. Practice making camp in the rain and wind if possible as well. Know how long it takes YOU, don't worry about others. Remember that available light around sunset is much less in the woods and mountains compared to open civilized areas. Some people are very fast, others take their time. It depends on one's style, experience, etc. I like an absolute minimum of an hour in the evening (usually 2) before any artificial light would be needed. Often, a convenient place to camp will leave many hours of just relax time, maybe a swim, a more complex meal, read a book, socialize with other hikers around a fire, etc. In the mornings I usually only take 30 to 45 minutes. Make coffee, pack up, and go, sometimes by first light. I usually don't stop to eat until a couple of hours later.

rhjanes
05-20-2015, 09:58
good advice by 4eyes. Also, the more you do it, the faster you will become. You will work out "everything in it's place" and also a rhythm to setting up. Agree also that say sunset is 8 PM. You need to be setting up by 6:30 at the latest. And even then, you will be rushed perhaps. As while the sun sets at 8, in the forest, you are quickly loosing light by 7:15. If you stop earlier and eat and clean up, then you have less to do in camp.
I also attempt to watch what other hikers with me might be doing. I'm always up to learn! Last hike with with a person who hikes a lot, is a past AT thru hiker. I picked up from him, FIRST thing is toss the bear bag line. With maximum light that way.
Then, weather can also affect your actions. Raining? Tent or hammock tarp FIRST. Then hammock. Then maybe filter water and get some boiling, while you continue set up. Not raining? maybe just toss the bear line, start the water boiling.

Oh, and after the bear-bag toss, find your headlight and unlock it and hang it around your neck! Then, at least you are ready for DARK.

4eyedbuzzard
05-20-2015, 10:17
Good stuff above by rhjanes as well. Also remember that typically you will be gathering water for both evening meal and morning (I have my water ready to pour and make morning coffee) when you stop for the evening. Sometimes the water sources are very close to shelters/camping areas, or within a mile or so along the trail on your way to stopping. But sometimes not, and it can be a bit of a hike downhill then back up in some places. Make sure to leave enough time. Walking around in the woods by headlamp to gather water when it's not right there is not a good plan. It's surprisingly easy to get, um, disoriented (aka LOST), even with a headlamp, even if you're experienced, even if you think you are an expert at hiking/camping (stuff like this really happens). You will figure it all out in short order though. And probably all of us can tell stories about having to set up and cook: after dark, in the wind, in the rain, in a bad place (as in low, as in big puddle), arriving at shelters/camp areas after dark to the dismay of others already there (which isn't good trail etiquette) . . . Practice your camp skills, especially including operating your stove and preparing meals, before hitting the trail. It will make your hike much more enjoyable.

illabelle
05-20-2015, 10:29
You probably already know this, but don't leave your food/pack unattended while you run off to get water. Possession is ownership. You may come back to find that a wild creature now owns your stuff.

Odd Man Out
05-20-2015, 10:47
The other variable to consider is the availability of camp sites. If you think "I'll hike to 7 pm" but then find yourself on the side of a mountain with no camp sites you could be in a pickle. I was hiking in VA last summer. Was on the top of sinking creek mtn in the late afternoon. I probably could have made it to the next shelter before dark but just barely. There were lots of good places to camp on the ridge but i suspected that once the trail started down the mtn there might be fewer options and I would be committed to pushing through. I ended up stopping a bit earlier then I had planned. But in the end that was the best decision and was glad to have resisted the urge squeeze as many miles out as possible to "keep on schedule"

rhjanes
05-20-2015, 11:44
also, if you are going to leave your camp site, have TWO lights. Something you can hang by your tent/hammock, while you have your headlight with you. If it is approaching dark, turn that on when you head for water. Guiding light! I also have a foot long piece of reflective stuff off a road workers vest. I tie that to my hammock tarp. You can hit that with your headlight and it can REALLY be seen. Aids in those late night ventures!
Good stuff about planning to hit a known camp site (above). But also, if you are not going to hit a known site, then you need to even start looking earlier!

Bluegrass
05-20-2015, 11:54
The flip side to the question is "How long does it take for you to get hiking each morning?" I tend to be fairly quick each morning, from awake to hiking in about an hour. I also tend to wake up earlier than a lot of other people on the trail. As a result I get some good early miles out of the way. The result is that I tend to end earlier each day. Sure I could crank out some more miles, but I know that I will be too exhausted the next day. Better for me to do 18 miles consistently than 22 one day and 12 the next. This also means I have time to wind down and relax in the afternoon/evening and still get to bed early, allowing me to get up early the next morning and repeat the process.

I tend to prefer having free time in the late afternoon at camp than sitting around a half-broken down campsite in the morning.

Rocket Jones
05-20-2015, 12:14
What helps me most is to have a process. Do things the same way, in the same order each time. When you take something out, put it back where it belongs as soon as you're done with it. That way, you don't spend time looking for an item that you just had but put down, and you don't have to stop and think about what's left to do. Makes it easier to pack up in the morning too.

+1 on the suggestion about putting your headlamp on early, so you know where it's at when needed.

GoldenBear
05-20-2015, 12:52
One last thing that has helped me: learn to set things up in complete darkness. More than once I've arrived at a shelter / place to camp when darkness is approaching, and had to set up tent without light. If you simply practice doing so at your home with your eyes closed, you'll learn how to do so by feel alone.

As noted above, it's critical to pack your stuff the same way every morning, so that you know where it is every evening. There's no bigger time waster than fumbling around for a small (but vital) object that you can't recall exactly where you put it.

Walkintom
05-20-2015, 12:58
It also depends on how you DEFINE setting up camp. I see mention of water hauls and things like that. To me those aren't setting up camp. Setting up camp to me is the establishment of my gear in a manner which I use it for sleeping.

Meals, laundry, personal sanitation, water hauls - all not part of setting up camp. Still necessary, and take time so defining 'set up camp' seems to be an essential pat of answering your question.

Tipi Walter
05-20-2015, 13:07
How many hours should I give myself to wind down and set up camp at the end of each day? I am open to any advice or knowledge you may have. Thanks!

It's hard to believe this question exists and has been responded to in some depth and with a few lengthy posts. No one can answer this question except Troubletrev. Wanna set up camp at 2 in the afternoon and crap out? Do it. Wanna hike 30 mile days and set up at night? Go for it. Want to night hike and set up at midnight? Do it. Wanna pull a zero day in your tent and not hike? Why not?

John B
05-20-2015, 13:18
also, if you are going to leave your camp site, have TWO lights. Something you can hang by your tent/hammock, while you have your headlight with you. If it is approaching dark, turn that on when you head for water. Guiding light! I also have a foot long piece of reflective stuff off a road workers vest. I tie that to my hammock tarp. You can hit that with your headlight and it can REALLY be seen. Aids in those late night ventures!
Good stuff about planning to hit a known camp site (above). But also, if you are not going to hit a known site, then you need to even start looking earlier!

It never occurred to me to hang a small LED on my tent when I'm away from the site at night. That's a great idea that I will absolutely do.

ralph23
05-20-2015, 13:53
If you are truly considering long hiking days here is the process we go with. Generally wake up around 5:30 am and start hiking within 20 minutes. We stop for breakfast once the sun comes up.
For evening- we stop around 5 or 6pm for dinner, generally about a 30-40 minute stop. Then we hike again till 9 or 10 pm. Once we stop to camp its 20 minutes till we are laying down.
If you want to get in massive miles don't waste time in your tent or sitting around at camp.

rhjanes
05-20-2015, 14:58
It never occurred to me to hang a small LED on my tent when I'm away from the site at night. That's a great idea that I will absolutely do.
You (and others) are welcome. However, when left on.....Keep glancing back at that light! You don't want to march off, half asleep, turn around after a "short" way and NOT see that light. Glance back a few times and keep it in view. Hung on a hammock tarp line or outside the tent door, will maximize spotting the light. But then, hanging it IN the top of the tent, might make the tent glow and be MORE visible. Someone chime in if they tested that method (hung in the tent, versus outside).

Another Kevin
05-20-2015, 15:26
It's hard to believe this question exists and has been responded to in some depth and with a few lengthy posts. No one can answer this question except Troubletrev. Wanna set up camp at 2 in the afternoon and crap out? Do it. Wanna hike 30 mile days and set up at night? Go for it. Want to night hike and set up at midnight? Do it. Wanna pull a zero day in your tent and not hike? Why not?

Only reason why not is that I hate trying to hang a bear bag in the dark. Hate it hate it hate it.

And sometimes I'm pushing just because I don't go out for as long as you - remember, I'm a clueless weekender - and need to make a pickup time or get back to work.

Another Kevin
05-20-2015, 15:29

My tent lines are GloWire, and there are also a couple of little reflective patches near where the poles go. I'm astonished how far those are visible by headlamp. The reflective vest is also a good idea. It does double duty in hunting season, since I wear it during the day.

rhjanes
05-20-2015, 16:41
I don't have the entire vest....just a strip of it...hung from my tarp line. And yeah, you can see it really well, IF you know which direction to shoot your headlight beam to!
I also have some reflective tarp lines...but I have several tarps so that isn't consistent. I bring a small light, and attach to the tarp line. I actually rarely flick it on when I wander off. I just stay close enough, glance back to catch the reflective strip with my headlight. I have a small cuben stuff sack which I always put my hammock suspension into (keep it, and any tree sap, away from my hammock) and the strip of reflective just stays in that. So no matter which tarp or hammock I have, the reflective is with me, to be hung.
Another consideration for the OP. The time to pack and unpack both need considered. There are some good thoughts on hiking later and such, or starting at day break or before. If you arrive at camp and hurriedly toss stuff around because of darkness, then the next morning, you will be packing slower. It's a trade-off.

JumpMaster Blaster
05-20-2015, 19:03
Personally, I give myself 2 hours to set up camp (including getting water, eating, hanging food if cables are around, etc). In the morning I'm a bit of a slowpoke, mainly because I'm trying to put everything back exactly how it was packed the day before. Good point on being organized, especially with the little things, like knwoing where your headlamp, knife, etc are.

MuddyWaters
05-20-2015, 19:18
Stop at 5 pm , eat, and rest for an hour.
Then start hiking again at 600, and hike for another 2 hrs or so. You will be refreshed.
Stop again at 8pm, make camp, get water, and go to sleep.

You just added 5 easy miles per day over what most do.

Fredt4
05-20-2015, 20:40
Then start hiking again at 600, and hike for another 2 hrs or so. You will be refreshed.

Agree, with this. Plus don't bother with a food bag hanging, it's a waste of time.

RangerZ
05-20-2015, 22:08
I keep a small keychain light dummy corded in my tent to find something, check the time or write a note. I have pointed it up and it does show through the rain fly but not the brightest. I have reflective strips around my food bag and the top of my stick and have seen them first with my head lamp.

Motel 8 – we’ll keep the light on for you.

Buttercup01
05-20-2015, 22:20
I hike in the dark without lights frequently, BUT finding and managing water in the dark is terribly hard. And practice lacing boots in the dark before you try it on the trail.

brian039
05-21-2015, 01:54

That is what I like to do, also. Who doesn't enjoy an after-dinner walk? Plus, the best light is in the evening and has cooled down significantly.

Old Hiker
05-21-2015, 06:38
I started looking for a good campsite when the sun was 4 fingers above the horizon or so. This is about an hour.

After a few days, I knew this was about 1815-1830 or so. It gave me about an hour to set up: tent first, sleeping bag out to air and fluff, get supper out, hang the bear bag, eat and clean up. By then, it was almost dark and beddy-bye time.

I would always get water about 1600 – 1700 so I didn’t have to get it in camp.

Traveler
05-21-2015, 07:46
This July I'll be hiking a section of the AT from Springer Mountain to Erwin TN. I want to complete this journey within a 21-24 day time period. My goal is to cover as many miles as I can by beginning the day early and finishing the day late. How many hours should I give myself to wind down and set up camp at the end of each day? Days are much longer in the summer so I'm pretty fortunate. I am open to any advice or knowledge you may have. Thanks!

To use a common phrase, it will take as long as it takes.

No two people are the same, so getting information from others is as useful as asking their favorite color, it won't have much application for you.

The other issue is you will face different conditions daily. Weather will cause fumbling or things blowing away, distance from water, meals you are carrying, overall health, muscle/joint fatigue, nearby campers, wildlife, or "the worries" that will elevate stress (like reaching the next Post Office before they close, how to treat the knee that is suddenly bothering you, etc).

The advice to practice is the most sound. If timing issues are important, you will need to standardize how you set up/break down your camp, how you manage food, how you manage water, how you manage natures call, and how you manage weather. Having a practiced method for these and other processes you will need to master will limit the opportunity for losing items and/or slowing down the process if speed is necessary.

As an aside, I usually find I set up and break down faster if I do it at a measured pace. When I try to rush I will forget things, lose things, assemble things out of order, spill things. "Make haste slowly" should be your operative goal, use economy of motion in a planned manner that will result in a faster process even if you feel its moving slowly.

garlic08
05-21-2015, 08:27
It's hard to believe this question exists and has been responded to in some depth and with a few lengthy posts.,,

There's a question embedded in the OP about how to maximize hiking time. That's what's being responded to at length.

My first long hike I ended up hiking with a small group and we all developed pretty much the same rhythm of camping. And that has already been mentioned several times above, so others do it too. Get up a first light, eat a snack (a handful of Fig Newtons for me) while breaking camp, and be hiking within 10-20 minutes. Stop a couple hours later (5-6 miles) hopefully in a warm sunny spot for a real meal, and every couple of hours (5-6 miles) thereafter. (If you can do that five times a day, say over 14 hours, you have a serious day of hiking in without ever getting really fatigued or hurt.)

Then an hour or two before sunset start looking for the good spot you've been thinking about for the last couple of hours after looking at the map, reading a guidebook, talking to other hikers, etc. Sometimes that might mean a dry camp, which means carrying water, maybe from your last meal break. If you don't eat in camp and are well-hydrated during the day, you don't need much water in camp, sometimes 1/2 liter will do. Setting up camp is slightly longer than breaking, but not much more than 20 minutes because you're often more motivated to lie down than to get up.

Do most of your chores during the daily breaks, like washing clothes, writing your journal, mending gear, tending to feet, reading, contemplating your navel, etc.

If you view camping as what you do when you're not hiking, it changes your trip and maybe the way you pack. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing or the best way to do it, but if making miles is your goal, it's a good way to achieve it.

English Stu
05-21-2015, 09:48
I wondered what took me so long to break camp so I took note of what I was doing and came up with this process. Limit wasting time by doing the old office in-tray technique i.e touch things only once and deal with it. Put away, or at least into stuffsacks the night before what is not going to be used again before walking. Have the packing process in mind; the sequence of what goes in first and so on;this eliminates picking stuff up only to put it down again.

If you intend to breakfast later have it organised at the top of your pack.

This sort of thing limits what I call OMMAT-Old Mans Messing About Time- when 15 or so minutes disappear and you wonder where it went and what you did with it.

shelb
05-22-2015, 00:48
Personally, I like at least an hour - minimum! I like to take my time at first and get water, then relax, and then make dinner, following with more relaxation. I will say that I don't feel as pressured if I have other people in my group who will start dinner, get water, etc.