PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism at the summit of Stratton Mountain, VT

Jeff
05-20-2015, 13:45
You cannot get away from idiots. Will post more when further details are available. Hope Jean and Hugh are still able to provide caretaker duties on the summit this year:

http://www.manchesterjournal.com/local/ci_28153153/stratton-vandals-damage-historic-cabin-and-fire-tower

Uriah
05-20-2015, 14:43
You cannot get away from idiots. Will post more when further details are available. Hope Jean and Hugh are still able to provide caretaker duties on the summit this year:

http://www.manchesterjournal.com/local/ci_28153153/stratton-vandals-damage-historic-cabin-and-fire-tower

As has been said, "If you build it, they will come." It's just surprising it's taken (them) so long. But given the slow circling of the drain that is civilization, such as we call it, I suspect we'll see this behavior on the increase, anywhere man-made structures are left alone atop mountains or deep in the woods or desert. Now the question remains, do we spend tons of money for repairs, or do we let the mountain alone and let nature run its course (as man is)?

burger
05-20-2015, 14:47
As has been said, "If you build it, they will come." It's just surprising it's taken (them) so long. But given the slow circling of the drain that is civilization, such as we call it, I suspect we'll see this behavior on the increase, anywhere man-made structures are left alone atop mountains or deep in the woods or desert. Now the question remains, do we spend tons of money for repairs, or do we let the mountain alone and let nature run its course (as man is)?

In the US, every type of crime has been on the decline for decades. This vandalism sucks, but it is not a harbinger of the end of civilization.

BirdBrain
05-20-2015, 14:59
In the US, every type of crime has been on the decline for decades. This vandalism sucks, but it is not a harbinger of the end of civilization.

Statistics are based in bias and definition. During prohibition crime went through the roof because a new definition was created. After prohibition was repealed crime plummeted because if a new definition of what was legal. The behaviour occurred throughout all periods. I agree with Uriah that abhorrent behaviour is on the rise. The acceptance of the abhorrent behaviour masks its existence. In short, things are not getting better. We are just lowerring our acceptance of what is good and normal.

GA_Windbreaker
05-20-2015, 15:03
Somewhat related to this subject:

There is an old beech tree on my property that has a date in the 1800s carved into the side of it. I think that is cool as hell. Meanwhile, there is a tree on the hiking trail at a local state park in which everyone and their brother has carved something in. I think that is vandalism & disrespectful.

Uriah
05-20-2015, 15:04
In the US, every type of crime has been on the decline for decades.

I certainly never figured it a harbinger of the end of civilization, nor alluded to it as such. But as far as the above sentence goes, population increases (doubling in my relatively brief forty-odd years) have indeed led to increases in crime. So while percentages decline on the whole, the number of criminal incidences has increased and continues to do so. Look no further than the number of those incarcerated in this country, a number certainly on the increase. Bend statistics to suit you, but the facts remain. More people = more crime. Easier access to "nature" = more damage done to it.

burger
05-20-2015, 15:39
Statistics are based in bias and definition. During prohibition crime went through the roof because a new definition was created. After prohibition was repealed crime plummeted because if a new definition of what was legal. The behaviour occurred throughout all periods. I agree with Uriah that abhorrent behaviour is on the rise. The acceptance of the abhorrent behaviour masks its existence. In short, things are not getting better. We are just lowerring our acceptance of what is good and normal.

You're just 100% wrong. Let me edify you:

http://time.com/3577026/crime-rates-drop-1970s/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/01/02/in-major-cities-murder-rates-drop-precipitously/

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0109/US-crime-rate-at-lowest-point-in-decades.-Why-America-is-safer-now

Sorry, but you're just wrong. Enjoy your day, and remember: if you're less than 60 or so years old, every day is the safest day in your lifetime crime-wise.

burger
05-20-2015, 15:40
I certainly never figured it a harbinger of the end of civilization, nor alluded to it as such. But as far as the above sentence goes, population increases (doubling in my relatively brief forty-odd years) have indeed led to increases in crime. So while percentages decline on the whole, the number of criminal incidences has increased and continues to do so. Look no further than the number of those incarcerated in this country, a number certainly on the increase. Bend statistics to suit you, but the facts remain. More people = more crime. Easier access to "nature" = more damage done to it.
And that's just really dumb. Your risk of crime is 100% dependent on the rate of crime per person. If you don't understand that, then you're beyond my help. It's basic math that my any 8th grader should understand.

This is my last post on this subject since it's off-topic. Hope they catch the vandals at Stratton and give them a good whuppin'.

BirdBrain
05-20-2015, 15:42
Been wrong before. Been corrected before. Will be wrong again. No big surprises there. Doubt statistics are going to dissuade my lying eyes though.

BirdBrain
05-20-2015, 15:53
And that's just really dumb. Your risk of crime is 100% dependent on the rate of crime per person. If you don't understand that, then you're beyond my help. It's basic math that my any 8th grader should understand.

This is my last post on this subject since it's off-topic. Hope they catch the vandals at Stratton and give them a good whuppin'.

Intelligence is not contingent upon agreement with a held opinion. Calm down sonny. Let's find some common ground. We all agree it is a bad thing that should not have happened.... I think. I agree with the hope that the vandals are found and held accountable. I am just sad that I never got go see it as it was. Will be there in July.

swisscross
05-20-2015, 17:38
Vandalism of a historic building and structure is horrid and the perpetrators, if caught, should be punished. Please explain the quote from the article.

"damage as significant"

I have never seen the Stratton cabin in person but it appears to be a 8'x6' box.
They must have darn near torn it to the ground to be considered significant.

Driver8
05-20-2015, 18:00
Vandalism of a historic building and structure is horrid and the perpetrators, if caught, should be punished. Please explain the quote from the article.

"damage as significant"

I have never seen the Stratton cabin in person but it appears to be a 8'x6' box.
They must have darn near torn it to the ground to be considered significant.

It is small and cozy. Maybe more like 8 by 10, but yeah, small. I worry at the "significant damage" report. Wonder if the vandals were trying to "free" the mountain, or at least its summit.

Praha4
05-20-2015, 19:26
When I read this news, I felt anger and sadness. That Stratton Mtn caretaker's cabin is virutally Jean and her husband's home during hiking season. I've stopped there and talked to her on every LT hike I've done since 2010. They have served as GMC caretakers on Stratton Mtn for more years than I know ... Jeff probably knows how long. Incredibly friendly, helpful and kind is my only way to describe them. They let me see the inside of the cabin on one trip, has a small wood stove, a couple bunk beds, very cozy for them on cold days and nights. To hear that some low-lifes have vandalized the tower and cabin really has to enrage any LT or AT hiker who respects the trail and what the tireless trail volunteers try to preserve for future generations. I've always been very impressed with the Vermont community and people, those that are in GMC and the trail angels and friendly citizens I've met in trail towns. Manchester Center has to be one of my all time favorite trail towns on the AT or LT. I'm betting the GMC and local law enforcement may already have some leads on who did this. Manchester Center is a close knit community, and I'll bet somebody has already been talking about this. No secret that there are big drug problems in Rutland and small towns across the country, this may or may not been done by low-lifes under influence of drugs or alcohol. People who do this sort of thing have no respect for themselves, so how can civilized people expect them to have respect for the trail, they are human garbage, no other way I can say it. I hope the GMC and local law enforcement catch the little b*stards that did this and string them up by their buster browns, and prosecute and fine them to the max.

Driver8
05-21-2015, 12:18
Praha:

Jean and Hugh treated me and other summiters to apple pie and a drink of our choice May 19, 2012 on my second visit to Stratton, and a visit inside their cozy cabin. They told how long they've been there, but I forgot. Something like the early 70's. I'm sure the GMC will repair the damage. Sorry they have to.

TheYoungOne
05-21-2015, 14:00
From this website.

From the Long Trail (http://4000footers.com/longtrail.shtml) / Appalachian Trail (http://4000footers.com/appalachiantrail.shtml) parking area on Stratton-Arlington Road, hike up the Long Trail / Appalachian Trail for 3.8 miles until you reach the summit of Stratton Mountain. You will pass a small caretaker cabin right before the actual summit which has a fire tower. This trail is relatively easy and only has roughly 1,700 feet of elevation gain.

So these idiots hiked up 1700 ft and 7.6 miles round trip, off season, to destroy a national registered historic site in a US National forest. That is a federal offense, and the last I check Vandalism of an historic site on Fed land has a penalty of a $250K fine and up to 5 years in jail and damage on has to be $500 or more.

I hope these idiots get caught.

Traveler
05-21-2015, 14:22
They could have come up along the ski trails or even the ski lift when it was running. Its not all that hard to get to the tower from the resort lifts, which would attract kids.

According to the article the vandalism occurred sometime before May 16th, ski resorts had a lot of cold and snow this past winter and I think Stratton was operational through mid April this year. My take is few people would expend that kind of energy with that kind of climb in and walk out in front of them, however, the ski lift provides a far easier means to reach the top and would be a handy commute for those predisposed to such behavior.

Driver8
06-24-2015, 21:13
According to the Rutland newspaper linked in the other WB thread posted on this topic, the cabin was broken into and ransacked. Sounds like maybe opportunistic burglary.

I was thinking about the cabin and the mountain this weekend as family and friends memorialized my dad, Phil Stratton. Hoping to visit the summit again soon in his honor and hope to see Hugh, Jean, the cabin and tower all happy and sound. Any further news? Jeff? Anyone?

Jeff
06-25-2015, 05:26
Hugh and Jeanne are greeting hikers once again. Nothing can stop their hospitality.

Here is an older link to an article about these folks who spend every summer on Stratton:

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/from-4000-feet-hugh-and-jeanne-joudry-have-kept-watch-over-vermonts-stratton-mountain-for-decades/Content?oid=2266512