PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking With a Dog

Reidbnm
05-20-2015, 14:59
We are planning on doing as much of this hike as possible with a dog. If we make it the whole way, all the better. I know many people will caution against bringing a dog. We recognize that taking a dog with us will make the logistics of the trail that much more difficult. We have had a vet give the dog all clear for this massive undertaking, and we are conditioning him regularly with his pack and with distance.

A few questions I have for people who have done the trail:

Just how hard do you think hitching will be with two hikers and a pup?

With potentially scaled back daily distances what do you think we should anticipate is the longest stretch without water?

Has anyone else tried to do this with a dog and had success?

Any input would be appreciated.

bearcreek
05-20-2015, 17:13

I did quite a few 20+ mile days with my dog with no major difficulties. I was met and resupplied at roads so I didn't have to do any hitchhiking. He carried his own food. I kept him on leash most of the time - they get too tired if allowed to run back and forth. He was brought to me at the start of Segment 2 because the lower part of Segment 1 is closed to dogs. The long hair ended up getting cut - it was a mess and too hot.

(This certificate is not something that is available - it was a gift from the CTF after I did a GPS survey of the trail)

booya
06-03-2015, 11:02
I had the same question about hitching with a dog. I have someone resupplying me for the first week or so but once I get further away from Denver, I'll need to go into towns. I might send my dog back with my last resupply on trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cookerhiker
06-03-2015, 11:42
During my 2011 thruhike, we met and hiked with a woman and her small border collie dog for 10 days. She and her dog finished the trail and the dog seemed to do fine in the stretch we hiked with her - Segments 15 through 24. The dog carried a little backpack with food and water dish.

When a promised shuttler failed to show up at Spring Creek Pass, we were forced to hitch 33 miles to Creede. Although there was one driver who said he couldn't take dogs, the other two who gave us rides had no problems. It's possible that having a small dog may actually enhance your chances of getting a ride.

bemental
06-03-2015, 15:33
The majority of the times I've hitched with my 100lb lab/shepherd mix, the drivers have commented on how they typically don't stop for hikers - but since I had a dog, they felt obliged to.

Other times the drivers didn't mention the dog at all, just wanted to do a good deed for a hiker.

I've read on WB that a few other dog owners have had similar experiences.

Grampie
06-03-2015, 21:52
If you are serious about doing a thru-hike than leave the dog home. Just remember: 80% of thru-hiker that start fail to complete the trail. Add a dog and it goes to 95%.

Birdogsid
06-04-2015, 10:44
I would agree with Grampie. I would suggest leaving the dog at home. You have the choice to be out there hiking. The dog doesn't. If you do bring it, make sure to keep it leashed. Some folks don't like having dogs come up to them on the trail.

adamkrz
06-04-2015, 11:13
If you are serious about doing a thru-hike than leave the dog home. Just remember: 80% of thru-hiker that start fail to complete the trail. Add a dog and it goes to 95%.

This is not an answer to the question and no help - when I hitch with my dog it seems more people stop because of my dog and rides are easier.

bemental
06-04-2015, 14:39
Just remember that logistically, you're adding another number to your hike for food, water, hostel stays, etc. Except this number doesn't eat the same food as you, and isn't allowed in many of the hostels you go to (or if they allow pets then it'll cost you extra).

It will add difficulty, but if you plan for this in advance it shouldn't be a problem.

What others have said about the dog not choosing to be out on the trail, is definitely something to take into account - but how you do that is up to you. My personal suggestion would be to take extra care of the pup, feed him/her the best quality food you can, ensure that he/she is getting the absolute most rest possible, and ensure that the dog is drinking enough water.

You control damn-near every aspect of the dog's life out on the trail; how much food he gets, when he eats, when water is available, how much he carries, how long his leash is, if and when he is allowed to play, when he can interact with other dogs, other hikers, etc.

Ensure you plan his hike as detailed, or even more so, as you plan your own, and you'll be off to a solid start.

Traveler
06-04-2015, 15:59
Keep in mind dogs are not allowed in GSMNP and Baxter SP.

Mags
06-04-2015, 16:08
Keep in mind dogs are not allowed in GSMNP and Baxter SP.

..but they are allowed everywhere on The Colorado Trail except for Waterton Canyon. ;)

Traveler
06-04-2015, 16:13
I was thinking he may want to walk further.... :datz

bearcreek
06-04-2015, 23:56

I know for a fact that considerably more than 20% of hikers that set out to thru hike the CT are successful. Sources?

Mags
06-05-2015, 11:17
I know for a fact that considerably more than 20% of hikers that set out to thru hike the CT are successful. Sources?

I suspect Grampie did not realize he was posting on on non-AT forum.