PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer water filter

pickle
05-21-2015, 13:36
found a sawyer squeeze system at Wal-mart today for $30.00- it might be last years model as the box looks different than one I saw on Campmor's website

Walkintom
05-21-2015, 14:08
Sawyer changes up the boxes periodically, yes.

TheYoungOne
05-21-2015, 14:14
The Sawyer Mini sells for $20, but due to the smaller size the output flow is slow and they are not as good as the original Sawyer Squeeze. $30 for an original squeeze is a good price.

HooKooDooKu
05-21-2015, 14:25
When used as a gravity filter, I find the Sawyer Mini to be more than adequate.

Red Cinema
05-21-2015, 16:04
When used as a gravity filter, I find the Sawyer Mini to be more than adequate.

I second that

saltysack
05-21-2015, 17:37
Curious how most set up as gravity filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain Man
05-21-2015, 18:43

Put an output tube onto the Mini with a CamelBak (or other brand) quick-connect adapter on the tube. Fill the Sawyer dirty water bag, screw on the Mini, hang it from a tree limb, snap the quick-connect to your drink tube, lay the clean water bladder on the ground, sit down and rest for 5 minutes while enjoying a snack and the scenery. Done.

I do hole-punch my bags and bladders and thread a short piece of cord onto them, to facilitate carrying and hanging.

saltysack
05-21-2015, 18:51
I only use bottles don't like hydration bladders....in theory guess would work same way..thx

BenOnAdventures
05-21-2015, 18:52
From what I've heard the Sawyer Squeeze is great, I'd pay the extra ten instead of getting just the mini. Great deal my friend.

HooKooDooKu
05-21-2015, 23:39

I do it much the same way as Rain Man.

I specifically bought an Evernew Water Carry (bladder) as my dirty water bag because it is clear and has threads that match the mini's input (unlike the platypus which uses a custom thread pitch). I punched a hole along the edge of the Evernew to loop a piece of string to facilitate hanging. For the clean water bag I got a Platypus Hoser, removed the hose and replaced it with surgical hose (because it's easier to roll up than the thick hose that comes with the Hoser).

The mini's output nipple is fairly large. You have to just push the hose as far as it will easily go over the nipple. So long as nothing tugs on the hose, it will hold well enough.

OCDave
05-22-2015, 00:10
I have both the Squeeze and the Mini. I can't say I have a preference for one over the other. They both serve me well. If I am solo, I gran the Mini, with a group I bring both.

shelb
05-22-2015, 00:45
I really like my drops. Would you suggest bringing a mini for when the sources has more particles/crap in it?

Hangfire
05-22-2015, 02:35
The Sawyer/Walmart combo is pretty clutch out there on the trail. I had gone into Waynesboro PA for the Chinese buffet and on the way back out my sawyer slid out of my pack and under the tool box in the back of the truck that I hitched in (at least that's how I think it happened). It wasn't until the Deer Lick shelter that I realized that my filter was gone...my dear old filter that had provided me nice drinking water since the approach trail some 3 months earlier, I was crushed (I guess it was fatigue but I was so bummed to lose that thing). Anyways I made do hitting up the spigot water at the Antietam shelter which held me over until the next day when I was able to get into Fayetteville and hit the Walmart and pick up a new Sawyer. Amazing luck, less than 24 hours after losing my original I was back on trail with a new one having barely broken stride.

Rain Man
05-22-2015, 08:01
I really like my drops. Would you suggest bringing a mini for when the sources has more particles/crap in it?

I've read about dirty water on the AT, but it all my years so far, I've yet to run into water with crap in it.

Hangfire
05-22-2015, 14:17
I've read about dirty water on the AT, but it all my years so far, I've yet to run into water with crap in it.

Yeah I don't know about "crap" but I had to make water a couple of times in New Hampshire (Velvet Rocks and Moose Mountain) that I would say the water was "funky". My definition of funky is the way it smells, like old aquarium water, and you know it's funky when it still has that distinct smell after being filtered by the sawyer. In fact out of paranoia I started carrying aquamira along with the sawyer and after adding the hot batch the smell was actually neutralized. And as for the odd after taste that aquamira leaves behind, it's very similar to Southern California tap water...

Walkintom
05-22-2015, 14:26
And as for the odd after taste that aquamira leaves behind, it's very similar to Southern California tap water...

Aquamira uses chlorine dioxide, which many municipalities use for water treatment.

elray
05-22-2015, 18:31
I'm no expert but I kinda like the taste that Aquamira leaves, it almost freshens the water, I carry a Sawyer as well, best new filter in a long time. I began hiking in the pre-filter era where all we had was iodine or bleach, yecch!

Jake2c
05-25-2015, 13:22
On my last hike, 5 days, I was using a lot of water because it was hot. I had used the full size Sawyer for about 3 years without a problem but this was the first time I used the mini. I guess because the flow rate is lower I ended up putting to much pressure on the bag and blew it out right at the threaded plastic piece so I could not really use it without the danger of dirty water bypassing into my clean container. Should have brought an extra bag but didn't. I saw a few of people using the platypus gravity 4L bag. I liked the set up so bought one. With the 4L bag I can carry only that bag to the source (which can be fairly distant with a steep climb angle), and I have enough for the nights cooking, drinking, and to leave with my two water containers I use while hiking, full. On this last trip, because of my high water consumption, I was filling the containers I had for the evening and cooking, then doing the hike again to water in the morning to leave with a full load. Got tired of that. I bring drops as a back-up and may carry a Sawyer at first until I have gained more confidence in the Platypus.

Back on the trail
05-27-2015, 17:57
Just used the mini on my hike - filled my smart water bottle up with water, screwed the mini on top and walked on. Took a sip when I needed to. Not sure why you would carry a dirty and clean water bladder. We grabbed water from the beaver pond once - I tossed the Aqua Mira in that bottle full.

BirdBrain
05-27-2015, 18:09
....screwed the mini on top and walked on...Not sure why you would carry a dirty and clean water bladder.

Because some of us don't like to sip. I would collapse a lung trying to draw enough water through a mini to get the rate I desire.

billnchristy
05-27-2015, 18:29
I got our squeeze at walmart as well, I was surprised their price was better than amazon and REI. It is just a single bag, a 32oz, though.

virginiagunny
05-29-2015, 16:08
I also use a Sawyer mini, Also carry the water tabs just in case.

Wanderingventurer
05-29-2015, 22:18
What are your suggestions and tips for filling the dirty water bag? I seem to have problems doing so at least half the time or more.

Buttercup01
05-30-2015, 09:56
Don't short yourself on a water filter. The first time I drank spring water I got Guidaria. Worst abdominal pain in my life for six weeks. The Sawyer should solve this problem.

gbolt
05-30-2015, 09:58
What are your suggestions and tips for filling the dirty water bag? I seem to have problems doing so at least half the time or more.

I bought the Sawyer when the bags where suspect. I felt the smallest bag was worthless and most likely to fail. Therefore, I cut the top 1/8 inch off and got rid of the cap. I then cut the right corner at a slight angle. When water flow is slow and or depth of pool is not great, I use the bag as a scoop. Then with the corner cut, it is easy to fill the small water bag opening. It should go without saying that I treat both the scoop and the dirty water bag as dirty.

HooKooDooKu
05-30-2015, 10:42

To put it simply, you need falling water or some sort of scoop.

saltysack
05-30-2015, 10:44
To put it simply, you need falling water or some sort of scoop.

Most times it's easy to create water shoot with large leaf...