PDA

View Full Version : Musical Instruments

reh1966
11-14-2005, 13:52
How many of you carry a musical instrument with you when you hike? I currently don't play an instrument but was considering it. Thinking along the lines of a harmonica, recorder, flute or something like that. Wouldn't want anything to big or expensive so as to not have to worry. What are your thoughts and observations?

Rex

Kerosene
11-14-2005, 14:06
I've seen a number of people on the trail carryng cut-down guitars strapped to the back of their packs. I've only seen one harmonica and a mouth harp, but I'm sure that there are more out there at the bottom of the packs.

Of course, you can mimic Tuba Man, who thru-hiked a few years ago with his concert tuba, which actually protected him from injury when he fell off of a rock in Pennsylvania I think!

sparky2000
11-14-2005, 14:06
It is a thought. If u do the think at a shelter and it's not loud, that would normally be ok. If'n u try while trekn, difficulty of walking will occur. How much time do u have at a shelter ? Enough to warrent carrring the tuba ?

dudley
11-14-2005, 15:19
I'm teaching myself to play ukulele.
(It's not all Don Ho and tip toe thru the tulips)
You can find a decent one for $50 or so.
The one I have was only $20, Cheap enough so that you can bang it around.

TAMBOURINE
11-14-2005, 18:35
Well that is how i got my trail name i carry a Tambourine sometimes when i want to hear noise i play ot a while .Helps for the bear also

fiddlehead
11-14-2005, 18:38
I usually carry a Martin "Backpacker" guitar. I wouldn't do the AT without it!

Doctari
11-14-2005, 19:01
I carry a 6 hole PVC flute, & a few tunes (sheet music). I have many memorized, but have found that memorized at home isn't the same as remembering them on the trail.

I enjoy playing, and the few times I have played in a shelter, others seem to enjoy my playing.

I would prefer to carry my bamboo flute as it sounds better & is lighter, but not nearly as sturdy.

Doctari.

RedneckRye
11-14-2005, 19:09
Since Fiddlehead already posted that he carries a Martin Backpacker, I suppose he won't mind if I "toot" it's (or his) horn. I first met him at Muskrat Creek Shelter in '99. Very quickly figured out he was a great guy. Then he pulled out this rather odd looking guitar sort of thing. The performance was awesome. It doesn't exactly sound like a guitar, but it does sound good, especially in the hands of a good player. Is it a great guitar? I have no idea, I can't play. But if you can, sure, take it along on your hike.

SalParadise
11-14-2005, 19:21
Definitely bring something. Anything. I had three friends with instruments and we'd sit in the middle of the Trail and play the blues for a while. It was some of the most fun I had on the trip. A harmonica's great and drumsticks are nice, too.

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2005, 19:46
Not to be a killjoy, but while it's perfectly OK to bring an instrument with you, the Trail is NOT the place to be learning how to play it. Over the years, I've had the pleasure of hiking with some extraorinarily accomplished musicians, along with some equally noteworthy horrible ones. At the end of a long day, NOBODY wants to hear you practicing "Oh, Susanna" ninety times on a harmonica, tin whistle, or anything else. Most trail guitarists and banjo-pickers aren't that great. Nearly all Trail troubadors (i.e., would-be folk-singers) are indescribably bad. And drums, or anything that can be heard from very far away, are absolutely verboten.

And it goes without saying that after dark, unless EVERYONE you're camped with is up and hanging 'round the fire, the instruments go to bed for the night.

flyfisher
11-14-2005, 20:12
I usually carry a native american flute I made out of red cedar. It can be in the rain all day on the outside of my pack without harm.

I play most often at lunch along the trail, especially at nice overlooks, and when I am alone at night.

Weight: about 3 oz.

My Native American Flute Page:

http://www.imrisk.com/flute/flute.htm

Mouse
11-14-2005, 20:27
I wonder if anyone has ever brought bagpipes?

Husko
11-14-2005, 20:32
I usually carry a native american flute I made out of red cedar. It can be in the rain all day on the outside of my pack without harm.

I play most often at lunch along the trail, especially at nice overlooks, and when I am alone at night.

Weight: about 3 oz.

My Native American Flute Page:

http://www.imrisk.com/flute/flute.htm

Man, I sure wish I could meet you at a shelter sometime on my hike. That sounds great!

tombone
11-14-2005, 20:53
i rarely stay at shelters any more, and try to be sympathetic to others who are quite possibly enjoying the serenity of the woods. jack, your points are on the money. but with that said, there is nothing like the sound of my instrument filling a hollow or echoing back from distant ridges. playing it outside is similar to the alphorn experience, for the player as well as those who hear it. i have owned a 'backpacking' trombone for years. it is a smallbore tenor horn with no counterweight on the tuning crook and a lightweight gig bag, which of course offers less than substantial protection. the biggest problem i face is stepping between trees and other obstacles when it is lashed to the top of my frame pack. the places i like to go usually have plenty of obstacles, which also often means less ears for the sound to penetrate.

Uncle Silly
11-14-2005, 21:12
DEFINITELY carry a musical instrument if you have any desire to do so. Ignore the naysayers and do it. You'll have plenty of opportunities to play with or without an audience. Take whatever instrument you'll feel comfortable carrying and be interested in practicing.

I carried a cheap beginner A-style mandolin during my whole trip. I'm not an expert but managed to amuse lots of folks along the way. The whole rig weighed about 3 lbs ... gig bag, instrument, spare set of strings, tuning fork, extra picks, and song notes. I strapped it to the outside of my pack and went down the trail. A couple of times I even tried playing while hiking, but that was less successful.

I saw one or two native american flutes on the trail this year. I also ran into a few folks carrying harmonicas, three or four carrying the Martin Backpacker guitar, and two that carried a cheap child-sized regular guitar. A couple of these guitar-toters were just learning themselves, but it was still fun to jam with them.

For guitarists, I recommend the child-sized guitar: it's cheaper (Crazy Horse found his at a flea market in VA for about $40, versus $300 for the Backpacker), it sounds and plays more like a real guitar, and you won't break down in tears when/if something happens to it on the trail.

If you're planning a NOBO thru-hike and expect to be among the crowd some of the time, you might consider a harmonica or something over a flute or recorder -- it'll be easier to join in with other trail musicians. Just make sure you have a good key... maybe a C or G harp for most songs and an A or D harp, or even an A-minor harp, for a little variety. Though if you're really hankering for a flute or recorder, go for it. It is, after all, your hike!

A fellow named Old Scrubs carried a set of Scottish Smallpipes on his hike this year. They're a smaller member of the bagpipe family. He said they weighed about 2 lbs. I met him at Jenkins Shelter in VA while he was playing early one evening. We even tried to jam, but the results weren't encouraging.

Doctari
11-14-2005, 22:54
I agree with Jack.
Learn to play FIRST. I'm not the best player, but I can play well enough that the songs are recognizable. Have heard a few on the trail, and was so glad they had learned to play. A plesant evening indeed.

Have heard myself play as I was learning, ohmygoditwasawfulintheextreme. :datz I wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone. :eek:

Doctari.

Mr. Clean
11-17-2005, 18:57
I've thought about bringing my bagpipes on section hikes, but have thought better of the idea. Heavy and bulky, too.
I'm sure there are many who are glad of my decision....

Doctari
11-17-2005, 19:08
I've thought about bringing my bagpipes on section hikes, but have thought better of the idea. Heavy and bulky, too.
I'm sure there are many who are glad of my decision....

If I played,,,,,,,

Oh the joy of playing, in full regalia, atop Max Patch :dance

Yes, too heavy, but WOW. A bit much for playing in a shelter too.

I love the bagpipes.

Someday, , , , , , , ,

Doctari.

I wear a kilt when hiking anyway :)

CynJ
11-17-2005, 19:45
<sigh> I love bagpipe music. :D

I used to play flute & piccolo - and I really and dying to try a pan flute - I think that would be great in the woods. But Jack is right - the great outdoors is not a place to inflict practicing.

Blissful
11-17-2005, 20:33
Yes, we met Scrubs too who played his bagpipes for us at Bearfence Mtn shelter this past spring when we were section hiking in SNP. It was great. My son wants to bring his saxophone on our thru hike in 2007, ha!

zachv
11-17-2005, 23:16
i am planning on carrying a martin backpacker mandolin, similar to the guitar, for my march thru-hike.

Uncle Silly
11-18-2005, 19:04
i am planning on carrying a martin backpacker mandolin, similar to the guitar, for my march thru-hike.

zach, is this something you already have, or are you buying one specifically for the hike? i looked at those but they really aren't very good -- the neck is wide for a mandolin, the weight balance is different (concentrated on the neck and head), they're expensive, and they don't sound like a mandolin (mostly due to the weird shape of the resonating chamber). unless you already own this and are used to it, i recommend a cheap A-style ... you can find a beginner instrument new for $75 or less. i'm not positive, but i don't think there's any weight savings of the backpacker over a standard A-style.

if you already have one, what does it weigh? (and why do you like it? just for my curiosity...)

Mr. Clean
11-18-2005, 21:17
I've only been playing for a bit over a year, but will enjoy hiking to a little visited peak here in the Whites and let others enjoy from a distance, as I get better. I need to buy a set of the smaller "kitchen" pipes if I decide to travel long distances.
I'd no idea how hard it is to tune them and keep them full of air. I guess you can now call me a blow-hard!

bogey
11-19-2005, 02:35
I'm told they're trying to get away from the noise:D

MedicineMan
11-19-2005, 04:23

been playing pipes for 17 years....a typical stand of pipes in blackwood can weigh 10 pounds and that is without any serious silver embossing....
there are kitchen pipes (northumbrian) that are in the 2 pound range but sound like the practice chanter...
I've gone to a couple of overlooks, namely Jane Bald, but that was a short walk with 'em.

TooTall
11-19-2005, 08:33
Drummers don't need to bring a drum. Your hands can beat out a rhythm on almost anything. Get creative - a table, a tree, your pack, Janet's van. Zero pounds and you can annoy antisocial hikers everwhere you go!

Too Tall Paul
(amateur percussionist)

Whistler
11-19-2005, 09:15
Drummers don't need to bring a drum. Your hands can beat out a rhythm on almost anything. Get creative - a table, a tree, your pack, Janet's van. Zero pounds and you can annoy antisocial hikers everwhere you go!

Too Tall Paul
(amateur percussionist)
No nooooooooo!

Errrg. That drives me crazy. Whacking on tables, trees, and packs just doesn't cut it. I guess I'm just really picky about tone and timbre and color. I've never really gotten into the drum circle/ jamming scene, either.

Many times I've fantasized about having something like 5-octave marimba out there... But back to reality, something like a mbira would be a good hiking percussion piece. Maybe a set of tabla if you had the room and were willing to take care of them [and being able to play them would be cool, too].
-Mark
[amateur percussionist]

TooTall
11-22-2005, 09:30
Errrg. That drives me crazy. Whacking on tables, trees, and packs just doesn't cut it. I guess I'm just really picky about tone and timbre and color.

But it's fun to find what sort of tone and timbre you can achieve from what's around you. What does that tree sound like when you slap on it? Does the wall of that shelter have much resonance?

Many times I've fantasized about having something like 5-octave marimba out there... But back to reality, something like a mbira would be a good hiking percussion piece.

What about a mini-glockenspiel? Or maybe carving a set of wood blocks? A Bohdran isn't much weight and would fit pretty easily on the back of a pack.

Too Tall Paul

flyfisher
11-22-2005, 10:58

Too Tall Paul
(amateur percussionist)

Sometimes I carry a 35 mm film cannister. I collect little bits of rock here and there as momentos. I have occasionally used the cannister like an "egg" rattle.

This is not something I use in the presence of other hikers. My chanting would probably drive the sanest hiker bonko.

Rick

icemanat95
11-22-2005, 11:15
The only instrument I play is a practice chanter for Highland pipes, and even for a piper, the chanter sounds gawd awful. I wouldn't subject anyone to that intentionally, except myself.

The idea of carrying a good set of pipes (a bad set ain't worth having) on a long hike isn't appealing. A good set of pipes will cost you about $1,000 USD and up...I'm not jeopardizing that on a hike.

Alligator
11-22-2005, 12:56
Man, I sure wish I could meet you at a shelter sometime on my hike. That sounds great!
He does play well.

Gray Blazer
11-22-2005, 13:20
No nooooooooo!

Errrg. That drives me crazy. Whacking on tables, trees, and packs just doesn't cut it. I guess I'm just really picky about tone and timbre and color. I've never really gotten into the drum circle/ jamming scene, either.

Many times I've fantasized about having something like 5-octave marimba out there... But back to reality, something like a mbira would be a good hiking percussion piece. Maybe a set of tabla if you had the room and were willing to take care of them [and being able to play them would be cool, too].
-Mark
[amateur percussionist]

Whistler, I am an elementary school music teacher in Archer, FL. I have a set of tabla (tabla?) that I ordered when I wrote a multi-cultural music grant. I would love for any of you amatuer percussionists or professionals for that manner, to drop in and jam with me and perform for my kids. I need someone to show me how to play the tabla and the musical bow. Someone told me if I got the cover of some old Shankar albums, there were some suggestions on there. Since I'm putting this out there, is there someone who can tell me what pitches you tune a mandolin? I am a jazz saxist from way back and if you've ever been in Gainesville, Fl you may have heard of my group, Unsafe Sax. I have retired from playing out and my sax has been on the shelf since last Dec. Just got tired of the tenor. I still play the flute. I need to pick up one of those backpacking guitars. The mbira would be the perfect weight for backpacking.

Whistler
11-22-2005, 13:29
But it's fun to find what sort of tone and timbre you can achieve from what's around you. What does that tree sound like when you slap on it? Does the wall of that shelter have much resonance? I agree. I'm definitely one of those people that explores and taps and knocks on things just out of subconcious habit. There are some surprisingly good sounds out there... but as I said, when it comes to making music, I'm just picky. There's also the idea of knowing your instrument, delving into and mastering it that attracts me. I'd rather be able to pull out my trusty X, know what I'm going to get, and be able to make something special, than pull out my trusty hands, explore an unconventional object, and make something special. Maybe it's just not wanting to learn the instrument while I'm performing?

What about a mini-glockenspiel? A Bohdran isn't much weight and would fit pretty easily on the back of a pack. Those are both great ideas! I could take a look at one of those child glocks and see if there's a way I could reproduce it or expand the range a bit. And a frame drum... so obvious in hindsight! Thanks!
-Mark

Gray Blazer
11-22-2005, 13:36
A pair of rosewood claves are about the best instrument to carry with you for jamming. You can fit them in your backpocket and whip them out and start playing right away.

Gray Blazer
11-22-2005, 14:52
Glock bars are made of metal. I have soprano xylos and they are still bulky, but the bars do come off. Have a good turkey day. See ya online next Monday.

Whistler
11-22-2005, 15:49
Whistler, I am an elementary school music teacher in Archer, FL. I have a set of tabla (tabla?) that I ordered when I wrote a multi-cultural music grant. I would love for any of you amatuer percussionists or professionals for that manner, to drop in and jam with me and perform for my kids. I need someone to show me how to play the tabla and the musical bow. Someone told me if I got the cover of some old Shankar albums, there were some suggestions on there. Since I'm putting this out there, is there someone who can tell me what pitches you tune a mandolin?
Florida is a bit far for me to drop in, but there are probably some students in local colleges that could help you out.

Alas, I don't own tabla and have never learned to play them. I've only piddled on a set for a few minutes. They're pretty sensitive and need some babying before, during, and after playing. I saw Ravi & Anoushka Shankar LIVE a year or two ago [from about 30 feet away, too]. They had a fantastic pair of guys backing them up--awesome accompinament, and they did some kick-butt tabla dueling later in the concert. Great performance.

-Mark

Uncle Silly
11-22-2005, 17:53
Since I'm putting this out there, is there someone who can tell me what pitches you tune a mandolin?

It's tuned GDAE -- just like the standard violin tuning (except with two of each string, so it's really GG DD AA EE). Feel free to PM me for other mando questions. Or check out some online resources like http://www.mandolincafe.org/ ... they've got some handy PDF chord charts that you can print out for the trail. :cool:

SGT Rock
11-22-2005, 18:25
Why not just learn to whistle really well.

Bjorkin
11-22-2005, 20:06
That's just way too simple Rock. I'm trying to make a silnylon pan flute that doubles as a shelter. :p

TooTall
11-22-2005, 21:15
Sometimes I carry a 35 mm film cannister. I collect little bits of rock here and there as momentos. I have occasionally used the cannister like an "egg" rattle.

Heck, at Trail Days '02 I took a beer can and put some pebbles in it from a Damascus parking lot. Used it as a Maraca until someone got tired of playing their Conga drum and let me sit in at the drum circle on Friday night. A Smokies ridge runner thought the beer can was cool and started shaking it. She didn't understand to keep her wrist locked and shook out all the pebbles (grin).

Too Tall Paul

lazerzade
11-22-2005, 22:33
I play the harmonica guitar and hand drums such as bongos etc. I have only brought along my harmonica when hiking and at times it’s nice to have along (just make sure it’s the right time). Anyone can blow on a harmonica and annoy many people. Unless you are somewhat good at the harmonic I would not bring it along. It does not take that long to get good enough on the harmonica to play along with someone on guitar. Just remember that each harmonica is only in one key so get a G, C, or E (guitars are usually tuned to E and can be tuned to open G). Do not get the cheapest harmonica because this makes learning hard. A good book to help you learn is “How to Play Harmonica” by Marcos. I think this book comes with a CD. A CD is great because you can hear how things are supposed to sound. It’s a lot of fun when you meet someone on the trail to play music along with such as a guitar or another harmonica. I have had some good times jamming out with on my harmonica with someone else on guitar. Just make sure others around you are ok with you playing when you do

Whistler
11-22-2005, 23:58
Why not just learn to whistle really well.
Been there, do that, thus the name... Besides, it's always cool to have something to pull out of your pack: "Hey, I've got a clarinet!" as opposed to "Hey, I brought lips!":banana

-Mark

LIhikers
11-23-2005, 18:03
My wife is a pretty good musician but when we hike she doesn't want to carry her guitar, or flute, or drag her piano up all those hills :eek: , so she's bought herself a tin whistle and is learning to play it.

Heater
11-23-2005, 21:40
My wife is a pretty good musician but when we hike she doesn't want to carry her guitar, or flute, or drag her piano up all those hills :eek: , so she's bought herself a tin whistle and is learning to play it.

Yeah, a Pianist is pretty much outta luck when it comes to backpacking.
:(

TooTall
11-23-2005, 22:33
Yeah, a Pianist is pretty much outta luck when it comes to backpacking.:(

I hear there is some sort of flat roll up keyboard used for practicing.

Too Tall Paul

Uncle Silly
11-24-2005, 16:10
Yeah, a Pianist is pretty much outta luck when it comes to backpacking.

There's always the accordian....

(but seriously, some of the smaller button-boxes would be a good trail substitute for the hiking accordian player...)

Mr. Clean
11-24-2005, 17:53
The only instrument I play is a practice chanter for Highland pipes, and even for a piper, the chanter sounds gawd awful. I wouldn't subject anyone to that intentionally, except myself.

The idea of carrying a good set of pipes (a bad set ain't worth having) on a long hike isn't appealing. A good set of pipes will cost you about $1,000 USD and up...I'm not jeopardizing that on a hike.

True, I'd never take them on a long, or even an overnight, hike. I do take my chanter, though, and play that when I'm alone

rainmaker
11-24-2005, 22:41
Madame and I met a group of three Kentuckians section hiking from Punchbowl to Waynesboro. One of them, Dub, carried a Martin Backpacker guitar. At night he would entertain us , playing some old familiar tunes but also stuff that he had written. The guy is good, real good. I hope we run into them next year.