PDA

View Full Version : Where for June 100 miles? DWG North or Rockfish Gap south?

shelb
05-22-2015, 00:40
I will have time beginning the third week of June this year to hike about 110 -120 miles, taking about 7-10 days. I want to continue with what I have already completed on other yearly section hikes. This means hiking north from Palmerton, PA (not too far south of DWG) or hiking south from Rockfish Gap (southern part of the SNP).

Any opinions on which to choose?

Studlintsean
05-22-2015, 14:18
I haven't hiked the PA section yet (working my way there with a 5 day section hike from Duncannon in a few weeks). Either section will probably be super hot which I am sure you know. I have hiked the 100 miles south from Rockfish Gap and I enjoyed the hike. I hiked part of it last summer in June and the elevation seemed to really help with the humidity. I would recommend camping at the Tye River just south of the Priest if you can. We took a nice swim there which was great in June. It also allowed us to hike the Priest SOBO on fresh legs. There are many other opportunities to get in water/bathe away from LARGE water sources to cool down but I do not know all of them off the top of my head . I didn't take advantage of all of these due to weather but I can think of James River, Matt's Creek Shelter just south of Buena Vista, Shelter just South of James River, Shelter just north of Tye River, Shelter just North of the James River, Road crossing just south of Bryant Ridge Shelter. From what I hear PA is pretty dry in the summer. The VA section has lots of water which is certainly a positive. Hope this helps at least a little bit.