PDA

View Full Version : The Weekend is Here! Who's Ready?

BenOnAdventures
05-22-2015, 08:50
The weekend is here, who's ready? Any big hikes, backpacking trips or travel plans for the weekend? My family and I are going to the lake for the weekend!

BirdBrain
05-22-2015, 08:52
Going to Acadia for part of it. Not sure which hills I will walk. Just getting the maps out now. But yes.... I am ready for a long weekend. :)

hannah.freeman.9250
05-22-2015, 08:55
BirdBrain- the Beehive trail at Acadia is so much fun and the views at the top are stunning! I highly recommend it!!

peakbagger
05-22-2015, 09:06
Freeze warnings in the Whites tonight with a slight chance of snow at some point overnight with 70 degrees later in the weekend. I can look out my window and still see snow field on Mt Adams.

illabelle
05-22-2015, 09:14
Leaving town just after lunch, headed to northern Virginia to ride the Rollercoaster!!!
Can't wait! :)

TheYoungOne
05-22-2015, 09:20
I wish I could, but I hate the traffic and crowds on Memorial day weekend. That is why I am waiting until next weekend to do a hike ;)

full conditions
05-22-2015, 09:21
Headed out to Camp Creek Bald tomorrow morning and hiking south to Hot Springs - we wont have it to ourselves but it shouldn't be overrun either.

BirdBrain
05-22-2015, 10:06
BirdBrain- the Beehive trail at Acadia is so much fun and the views at the top are stunning! I highly recommend it!!

I agree. Been there. I hike in Acadia quite a bit. My favorite is Penobscot and Sargent from Jordon Pond.

ocasey3
05-22-2015, 10:45
I like the "quiet side" of MDI and hiking in the mountains around Long Pond. Great views and fewer people. The crowds have started to grow in Bar Harbor. We are headed out to do an overnight in Cutler. :)

bigcranky
05-22-2015, 10:54
Staying in town, planning a big Memorial Day picnic and a sendoff for our daughter who leaves next weekend for a year overseas. We can hike after that :)

BirdBrain
05-22-2015, 10:59
I like the "quiet side" of MDI and hiking in the mountains around Long Pond. Great views and fewer people. The crowds have started to grow in Bar Harbor. We are headed out to do an overnight in Cutler. :)

Great suggestion. Maybe we will do Mansell Bernard loop.

johnnybgood
05-22-2015, 11:27
Rockytop-Big Run loop overnighter in SNP.

2000miler
05-22-2015, 12:12
Stuck in Chicago without a car... So no hikes for me!

On the bright side, I'm using this weekend as an excuse to test out some Freezer Bag meals for my upcoming week-long section hike of the PCT!

On the menu to be tested: Tuna couscous with shredded coconut, annie's mac and cheese with summer sausage, and freeze-dried blueberry and coconut oatmeal!

BenOnAdventures
05-23-2015, 08:51
Thanks for all of the replies! It was great hearing from everyone!!

RangerZ
05-23-2015, 12:00
Please don't forget what this weekend is about.

BirdBrain
05-23-2015, 13:41

Amen to that.

One of 4 of my great great grandfather's who fought in the Civil War.

barefooter333
05-23-2015, 13:43
not the weekend but tis week going to try and do a over night trip in north ga

bigcranky
05-23-2015, 16:27

Yup, exactly. We'll have a little music jam after dinner and offer some songs and poems appropriate for Memorial Day.

LoneStranger
05-24-2015, 07:40

I went Thursday through Saturday for that very reason.

Riocielo
05-24-2015, 09:14
Doing Woody Gap to Springer on part of our vacation this week.

BirdBrain
05-26-2015, 08:47

The Western Mountains were beautiful. Thank you for the suggestion. More views that the guides suggested. Had to go really slow. Took company. Weather was great.

ocasey3
05-26-2015, 10:37
The Western Mountains were beautiful. Thank you for the suggestion. More views that the guides suggested. Had to go really slow. Took company. Weather was great.

So happy you enjoyed it! Even at the height of summer it is never quite as crowded over there and I often go after work for a few minutes of solitude.

I did my first overnight backpacking trip ever this past weekend! We went over to the Bold Coast and the Cutler Public Reserved Lands. Carried all our water as suggested and really felt the weight. We did discover a few water sources not mentioned or on any map I could find, and we took advantage of them on the way back out. It was a bit more crowded than I had hoped, but we all made it work! Incredibly beautiful. Amazing adventure. I'm hooked! :)

BirdBrain
05-26-2015, 10:43
So happy you enjoyed it! Even at the height of summer it is never quite as crowded over there and I often go after work for a few minutes of solitude.

I did my first overnight backpacking trip ever this past weekend! We went over to the Bold Coast and the Cutler Public Reserved Lands. Carried all our water as suggested and really felt the weight. We did discover a few water sources not mentioned or on any map I could find, and we took advantage of them on the way back out. It was a bit more crowded than I had hoped, but we all made it work! Incredibly beautiful. Amazing adventure. I'm hooked! :)

I do not know how this happened. I somehow missed when the mandatory fees started. I have been hiking Acadia for decades. I always thought if you stay off the loop road, then you could avoid the fees. After seeing signs everywhere about displaying your park pass, I researched the fees of Acadia. How did I miss this?

Water Rat
05-26-2015, 10:53
I do not know how this happened. I somehow missed when the mandatory fees started. I have been hiking Acadia for decades. I always thought if you stay off the loop road, then you could avoid the fees. After seeing signs everywhere about displaying your park pass, I researched the fees of Acadia. How did I miss this?

Last season was the first season the guards handed over a National Park Pass holder to display on the dashboard. Prior to that, I didn't used to have to leave the pass in the truck. There were no big articles on it... The change just seemed to happen overnight. You used to be able to bi-pass the park entrance gate and still access trails as long as you didn't take the loop road. Now they want you to leave your park pass on the dash when you are out on the trail.

Deer Hunter
05-26-2015, 12:28
Day hike in SNP. Whiteoak Canyon and Cedar Run loop. People everywhere.

LoneStranger
05-26-2015, 15:34

That is a heck of a way to introduce yourself to backpacking! I try to get in there mid-week, just before the snow, every Fall. Even then I've had mixed results getting the place to myself.

Great spot, but lets never speak of it again :)

full conditions
05-26-2015, 15:37
My hiking partner and I walked from Camp Creek Bald TR (Jones Meadow) to Sam's Gap - 22ish miles. Incredible weather; a few other hikers including a handful of late start thru hikers; great vistas from Firescald Knob; enjoyable and excellent new trail from Big Butt (which I climbed while humming "Baby got Back") to well past the Shelton graves; awesome weekend hike.