PDA

View Full Version : Grad School Research Survey

Veggie_Mandy
05-22-2015, 21:19
Hi Everyone! Veggie here. I am currently in graduate school at Prescott College for Environmental Studies, which is why I am going sobo on the CDT rather than nobo this year. I am now in the data collection phase of my thesis and I would like your help! The current title for my thesis is: Developing environmental attitudes in relation to sustainability resulting from thru-hikes on long-distance trails in the United States. The purpose of the study is to uncover potential change in the environmental attitudes of thru-hikers concerning sustainability during the act of thru-hiking and to analyze and interpret how thru-hikers explain their developing environmental attitudes to non-thru-hikers through blogs created during their thru-hikes.

If you are over eighteen years old and have completed at least one thru-hike in the United States, I invite you to take a survey that will be included in my thesis research. This includes all thru-hikes in the U.S. over 200 miles. While I would greatly appreciate participation, this study is completely voluntary. Please see the attached link to fill out the survey. More information is available on the survey site before the survey begins. Also, I am here and on email to answer any questions as well; my email is [email protected]. Feel free to share this with other thru-hikers, too! Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KRL8R6V

WingedMonkey
05-22-2015, 21:54
This includes all thru-hikes in the U.S. over 200 miles.

Seems to me to be an unusual qualifier for what makes a thru-hike.

Veggie_Mandy
05-22-2015, 22:13
The expectation is that by making the lower limit 200 miles, one would be hiking for around two weeks. Furthermore, it allowed me to include the JMT in the survey. It would not, for example, include a 200 mile section hike of a longer trail.

Tuckahoe
05-22-2015, 22:20
Seems to me to be an unusual qualifier for what makes a thru-hike.

Why so? Seems to qualify one who has thru-hiked a trail such as the Long Trail but not the Foot Hills Trail.