PDA

View Full Version : REI Evergreen

Offshore
05-23-2015, 08:26
Came across this preview for a new product line on REI.com. http://www.rei.com/h/evrgrn

I'm sure there are a lot of smart marketers at REI going after a demand, but this doesn't bode well for "real" outdoor gear - an REI Snuggie?!?. Back in their day, Abercrombie & Fitch, LL Bean, and Eddie Bauer used to be decent outfitters, but now are primarily lifestyle brands. A&F is a lost cause, while LL Bean still has some decent stuff among the lighthouse lamps and dog beds. Eddie Bauer is making an attempt at a comeback with its First Ascent line. It's just disappointing to see REI seemingly taking the first steps down the same road.

LIhikers
05-23-2015, 08:46
Well, if you want to stick to hiking Rail Trails you could use a Rickshaw to haul that stuff.
They're going where they think there's money to be made, nothing wrong with that.
No different than a store that carries car camping gear as well as backpacking gear
I just hope they don't drop the backpacking gear to make room for the new stuff.

Sarcasm the elf
05-23-2015, 09:24
Came across this preview for a new product line on REI.com. http://www.rei.com/h/evrgrn

I'm sure there are a lot of smart marketers at REI going after a demand, but this doesn't bode well for "real" outdoor gear - an REI Snuggie?!?. Back in their day, Abercrombie & Fitch, LL Bean, and Eddie Bauer used to be decent outfitters, but now are primarily lifestyle brands. A&F is a lost cause, while LL Bean still has some decent stuff among the lighthouse lamps and dog beds. Eddie Bauer is making an attempt at a comeback with its First Ascent line. It's just disappointing to see REI seemingly taking the first steps down the same road.

I spent about five seconds reading that site before I had to close it. The intentional spelling mistakes and lack of capital letters on the page is infuriating. I don't care if their marketing department thinks it's trendy, it makes them look like idiots.

(Side note: I do understand the hypocrisy of posting the above comment a few minutes after I started a separate thread that has a typo in the title. :datz)

Feral Bill
05-23-2015, 11:07
It might be time for REI members to get active in COOP management.

hikeandbike5
05-23-2015, 11:27
they'll do very well with this line.

Offshore
05-23-2015, 13:43
I spent about five seconds reading that site before I had to close it. The intentional spelling mistakes and lack of capital letters on the page is infuriating. I don't care if their marketing department thinks it's trendy, it makes them look like idiots.

Or hipsters (which anyone who has ridden the L train from Union Square to Brooklyn may feel are one in the same).

Damn Yankee
05-23-2015, 20:06
As others have said. There is a whole sub-culture called car-campers, they're filling a nitch. I doubt that it will interfere with the backpacking end.

Walkintom
05-23-2015, 22:51
Something has to pay for the very liberal return policy.

Snuggies or higher prices?