PDA

View Full Version : Concept phone claims to to 20 days on a charge.

Sarcasm the elf
05-23-2015, 09:33
This concept phone isn't expected to hit the market until next year, but it sounds like an interesting idea.:

http://m.disclose.tv/news/no_facebook_no_games_no_browser_the_light_phone_is _the_antismartphone/118127

NO FACEBOOK, NO GAMES, NO BROWSER: THE LIGHT PHONE IS THE ANTI-SMARTPHONE

May 19, 2015 - The Light Phone is the opposite of every other phone in existence. It is thin, light, lasts 20 days on a charge, and literally does nothing but make and answer calls. It’s as if the makers of the Sports Illustrated Football Phone had studied the timeless teachings of William Walker Atkinson and created a telephone that was the platonic ideal of the ultimate telecommunication device. The best thing? It costs $100.

What does it do? Nothing. You put in a SIM card, press a few buttons, and make a call. There’s no browser. No games. No NFC. It has quick dial, which is nice, and it doubles as a flashlight. Did I mention it lasts for 20 days on a charge?

The creators, Joe Hollier and Kaiwei Tang, created the phone at Google’s 30 Weeks incubator in NYC. They both came from a design background but Kaiwei has a background in building phones.

“We started building this because it became very clear that true happiness means being present. This has been written about by so many of the smartest minds since Seneca. So much of our days are spent connected and staring at screens that we are losing that presence in so many situations. We built the Light Phone as a way for people to find balance with their connectedness. It’s not that we think people should never connect again, it’s just that taking a break is extremely healthy in every sense of the word,” said Hollier.

The goal, ultimately, is to use the phone as little as possible. They include 500 minutes of pre-paid talk time and it charges via USB, but they really want you to pull it out, make a call, and put it back. They plan on shipping in May 2016, which is a long time to wait for something that is supposed to bring you back into self-awareness, but them the breaks.

And get this: because it’s so basic (in a good way) it will never need to be replaced.

“This phone will likely never need to be replaced by a new model,” said Hollier. “This project is really about a conversation we want to start. Is where technology is going really the way we want in terms of living our day to day lives in the happiest sense? We are not against tech at all (clearly we joined an incubator and have a passion for this) but we think that maybe we need to put the human first in tech again and think about what kind of tech will make our lives better in the long term. I don’t think the Light Phone is the end all be all answer to this question but it’s our first step in starting the conversation and we have lots of ideas for going forward.”
( via techcrunch.com )

Feral Bill
05-23-2015, 11:04
The next best thing to no phone at all, which is not always an option.

MuddyWaters
05-23-2015, 11:45
Odd. My phone does that, texts as well, cost $14.88 at walmart, and battery lasts for month+.

Turn off and remove battery when not being used. Duh. Most phones are still "on" when they are off. Talking to towers, running apps.

imscotty
05-23-2015, 11:47
I go with no phone at all. The other night I enjoyed a great night out with a friend and we stopped our conversation for a moment and looked around. Everyone else in the place had their faces buried in their phones, oblivious to their companions and their surroundings. Some days I feel like I am the last free man in America.

Alligator
05-23-2015, 11:59
Odd. My phone does that, texts as well, cost $14.88 at walmart, and battery lasts for month+.

Turn off and remove battery when not being used. Duh. Most phones are still "on" when they are off. Talking to towers, running apps.No, your phone does not receive calls with the battery out. Not a lot of details there but I am assuming this one would for the 20 days.

MuddyWaters
05-23-2015, 12:59
No, your phone does not receive calls with the battery out. Not a lot of details there but I am assuming this one would for the 20 days.

You are correct.
But it does do that for about 7 days.

3x larger battery, and done. There aint no concept or no technology here. Just attempting to sell something to fools that are used to their smart thingys needing to be plugged in every couple hrs.

When Im walking, I only text. Most of the time no cell service. When Im at a high point, near a road, etc turn phone on and recieve texts that you might have missed. I usually only do that once per day and text my wife and kids.

No reason to have a real phone on when you have no service, unless you are just stupid.

Too many people attached to their social media like a baby to moms teat. They panic without it, and leave their devices on all the time , they would hate to miss someones facebook update.......You know, someone might tweet where they are eating dinner, important stuff!!

But heres another problem with those claims of battery life. If you have weak or no service, the phone spends it power trying to amplify very weak signals. At home my phone lasts about a week. I work in a little town with no ATT service a lot, there my phone will go dead in about a day, because it is trying to talk to a weak signal. Major difference.

garlic08
05-23-2015, 13:06
Odd. My phone does that, texts as well, cost $14.88 at walmart, and battery lasts for month+....

Same here. When I first read the OP I thought it was a satirical joke.

I guess I'm old enough to remember when cell phones were used for making phone calls.

Nodust
05-23-2015, 13:12
No phone calls, just text when I'm on a multi day trip.

BirdBrain
05-23-2015, 13:27
Mine is on just long enough to send a couple texts each day. Up to 10 days and I still have plenty of battery left. I don't take my battery out. None of what I say here is meant to discount the other tips or the new phone coming out. If it weighs less, I am interested.

10-K
05-23-2015, 15:10
I was pretty sure I was reading something from The Onion......

Odd Man Out
05-23-2015, 17:22
I have one like this.

http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Quadband-Unlocked-Bluetooth-Networks/dp/B00EFD4UO0

If you google unlocked quad band GSM candy bar phone, you will find lots of options for very little money. I used mine all through Europe a couple of years ago. You can send text messages, make phone calls. Mine has a micro SD slot so you can upload mp3 files and use it as a music player. I've used the alarm clock feature too. It has two SIM card slots so you can have multiple phone numbers. Never measured battery life but I know it's pretty good. Because it's a GSM phone, service in the US may be a little spotty if you are in areas served by non-GSM carriers, such as Verizon.

Alligator
05-23-2015, 20:37
You are correct.
But it does do that for about 7 days.

3x larger battery, and done. There aint no concept or no technology here. Just attempting to sell something to fools that are used to their smart thingys needing to be plugged in every couple hrs.

When Im walking, I only text. Most of the time no cell service. When Im at a high point, near a road, etc turn phone on and recieve texts that you might have missed. I usually only do that once per day and text my wife and kids.

No reason to have a real phone on when you have no service, unless you are just stupid.

Too many people attached to their social media like a baby to moms teat. They panic without it, and leave their devices on all the time , they would hate to miss someones facebook update.......You know, someone might tweet where they are eating dinner, important stuff!!

But heres another problem with those claims of battery life. If you have weak or no service, the phone spends it power trying to amplify very weak signals. At home my phone lasts about a week. I work in a little town with no ATT service a lot, there my phone will go dead in about a day, because it is trying to talk to a weak signal. Major difference.Do you have a personal filter? The gratuitous cheap shots you are taking at people who use their phones differently than you do are unnecessary, you are insulting people when the OP simply chose to talk about an extended life bare bones phone based on a philosophy of minimalist communication. Try to be more mindful of the user agreement.

In my opinion, most everybody would leave their cell phone on all the time if battery life were unlimited. That's how landlines work. How often have you seen someone turn off their landline, and then compare that to all the people who don't. It's an anti-smartphone, they are not marketing it to people used to texting and social media. They are marketing it to people who want to make and receive calls only who don't want to mess around with maintaining the battery in any way. No taking the battery out, no limiting on off times, no battery upgrades (or case back changes to fit it either), no external chargers, just keeping it extremely simple.

Now if larger batteries are on the table, maybe this device can get a 3x bigger battery and last 60 days.

No price or weight in the link.

Fredt4
05-25-2015, 11:47
This does remind me of the very small cell phones that were popular before the smart phones started coming out. Wonder what's the smallest (lightest) phone available.

Fredt4
05-25-2015, 12:15
This does remind me of the very small cell phones that were popular before the smart phones started coming out. Wonder what's the smallest (lightest) phone available.