PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone name this knot?

Size12
05-23-2015, 23:13
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can put a name to this knot? I was taught it when I was sailing a while ago, but I was never given a name for it. It is essentially a bunch or round turns with the tail tied with two half hitches. It functions as a slide and grip knot/ adjustable loop.

Seems to work better than a midshipmans hitch, tautline hitch, blakes hitch or similar. I cant reliably get any of them to work in the rope I use for tarp lines, but this unnamed knot seems to work, but I havent field tested it yet. If anyone can suggest any other knots that will give a slide and grip/adjustable loop, that work in rather slippery paracordesque rope, then please give me a shout because Im sick of using truckies hitches on every line and having to retie them with each adjustment.

Pictures attached

rocketsocks
05-24-2015, 02:46
looks like maybe an improved clinch knot to me, used for fishing. and an improvement over the original cinch knot by passing the tag end back up and through the last loop after the spirals around the running line.

rocketsocks
05-24-2015, 02:49
looks like maybe an improved clinch knot to me, used for fishing. and an improvement over the original cinch knot by passing the tag end back up and through the last loop after the spirals around the running line.
upon further inspection I see a larger view now and not sure what to make of the half hitch to finish it....so in answer to your question...Nope, not sure what it is.

Size12
05-24-2015, 04:08
I havent the foggiest idea myself, and the fella that tought me it never had a name for it either. But it seems to be one of the simplest sldie and grip knots out and seems to hold easily in line that other knots dont. Im itching to rig a tarp with one sides lines as the above knot, and then the other side as either blakes hitches or truckies hitches to compare their performance under a shifting wind load.

HeartFire
05-24-2015, 08:01
Taut Line hitch (http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/tautline-hitch/)

Rain Man
05-24-2015, 08:16
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can name to this knot?

Bob. I name it Bob!

Just a little Sunday morning humor before church. LOL

The devil made me do it! Please forgive me!

:D

P.S. Looks like a good knot to know, so thanks for sharing it.

rocketsocks
05-24-2015, 08:35
...of sorts, yes.

rocketsocks
05-24-2015, 08:38
Bob. I name it Bob!

Just a little Sunday morning humor before church. LOL

The devil made me do it! Please forgive me!

:D

P.S. Looks like a good knot to know, so thanks for sharing it.
Reminds me of the fella who sowed his wild oats all week and went to church on Sunday to pray for a crop failure...you are forgiven. :sun

moytoy
05-24-2015, 09:27

definitely a taut line hitch but with extra hitches added.. I guess you could call it a modified taut line hitch. To the OP...If it works then it's a "good" knot.

rocketsocks
05-24-2015, 10:10
definitely a taut line hitch but with extra hitches added.. I guess you could call it a modified taut line hitch. To the OP...If it works then it's a "good" knot....and inverted from the traditional. Samme same though.

moytoy
05-24-2015, 10:17
...and inverted from the traditional. Samme same though.

Yep... I was wondering if the inverted hitch might make the knot more difficult to adjust.

rocketsocks
05-24-2015, 10:21
Yep... I was wondering if the inverted hitch might make the knot more difficult to adjust.hmm, yeah it is kinda jammed in there under a load..cool knot.

rocketsocks
05-24-2015, 10:23
Ya knoooow

if we could put a proper name to it, we could then list it's history, and milk this thread for at least a couple more pages...before we start in ta arguing on the best knots. :D

moytoy
05-24-2015, 10:41
:banana............:)

moytoy
05-24-2015, 10:42
I hate those dancing bananas.

rocketsocks
05-24-2015, 10:49
I hate those dancing bananas.
yeah, but we got 3 more posts outta it. :D

Size12
05-24-2015, 18:56
Id differ on the opinion that its of relation to a taut line. Its formed completely differently and is hitched off in a different place. Tautline hitches off around the rope it is being tied to. This one hitches off to itself (the rope it is being tied from). Hitches off in a slightly ugly manner, and I think might need a stopper after the 2 half hitches to stop it untying over time (in the rope Im using anyway).

Seems like it grips tighter than a tautline, midshipmansor blakes hitch etc and might bind more, but In that respect it makes it actually work in the nasty cheap thin polypropylene cord I use.

And from now on Im referring to it at bob.

Hikes in Rain
05-24-2015, 20:10
Pipe Hitch: http://ruralsystemguide.com/Knots02/Knotspipe01.gif

Another Kevin
05-25-2015, 00:11
Looks to be in the same slip-and-grip family as the Prusik, the Klemheist, the Bachmann, and the Machard. But it isn't any of them exactly. I don't know a name for that one in particular.

Size12
05-25-2015, 01:36
Mystery solved. Hikes in rain is dead on. It definitely seems to be a pipe hitch! I knew it had to have a name somewhere!

shelb
05-25-2015, 08:45
Youtube video explaining how to tie and use a pipe hitch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuhVmDXpMNQ

moytoy
05-25-2015, 09:52
It's a good day when I learn something :)

Rain Man
05-25-2015, 11:41
The OP's pics look like a pipe hitch to you guys??? I'm not seeing it.

Maybe a pipe hitch on a bight?

rocketsocks
05-25-2015, 12:08

Yeah I'm not seeing pipe hitch.

Feral Bill
05-25-2015, 13:31
For adjusting line length, consider a the truckers hitch. I prefer this to "slide along" knots. More secure and very easy.

Size12
05-26-2015, 07:19
Its definitely a pipe hitch, but tied around its own tail to form a loop. The one in the picture had been tensioned a bit, so doesnt look exactly as it should, but it is certainly a pipe hitch. And feral bill, good suggestion, but truckies hitches are a bit more annoying to adjust constantly during setup. I think instead of tying off the truckies hitches with half hitches as normal, Im going to use a slide and grip on them to make them easier to adjust

BirdBrain
05-26-2015, 08:30

I did not see it at 1st either. However pipe hitch is used to form a loop by being constructed over the standing end. The knot in question is the small portion. I think that is why AK named the Prusik. At least that is what I am seeing. I am no knot expert. I only use a few basic hitches and slip knots.

BirdBrain
05-26-2015, 08:32
Its definitely a pipe hitch, but tied around its own tail to form a loop.
I knew I should have stayed out of this discussion. Had I read all posts, I would have.