PDA

View Full Version : So,...What's new???

amac
05-26-2015, 09:08
Seriously, what's new out there in the hiking world. About two years ago life got a bit busy so I haven't been able to check-in with Whiteblaze multiple times a day, like I used to. I've been away for so long now I'm wondering what the latest and greatest techniques and gear are. Is there anything that's the hiking community has taken by storm in the past couple years? To give you some context, I'm a hammocker with a WBBB, a Z-Packs cuben-fiber tarp, a GoLite Pinnacle pack (so sorry to see them go), and a DIY cat-stove.

So, what's new in the world of backpacking?

fiddlehead
05-26-2015, 09:39
PCT is dry as a bone.
CDT NOBO'ers experiencing the wettest May ever.
That's about the biggest news I can think of.
Oh yeah, and the movie Wild is out and bringing more hikers to the trails.

TREKMAN001
05-26-2015, 10:01
As lone wolf would say... nothing new, it's just walking... LOL
Everyday on Whiteblaze somebody, including myself, learns something new about this thing called "just walking".
After years of running and cycling I sustained an upper body injury that ended all of that.
Hiking, with this websites help has reintroduced me to exercise.
Keep on trekking!
Guy.

amac
05-28-2015, 12:31
just OP bumping this. I can't believe there's no new hot stuff out in the past two years. No latest and greatest water filter? or tarp material? There's gotta be something.

Dochartaigh
05-28-2015, 12:48
From the hammock world: WBBB's are pretty heavy anymore (and most people use an 11' hammock for better comfort). TONS of new hammock-specific materials out as well: PolyD, Argon, HyperD, and many I forget. Newest one is HyperD 1.6oz XL which is 72" wide (just ordered a hammock from Dream Hammock in this material). Should also check out Hammeck.com for the new kid on the block making beautiful hammocks.

Lots of new hammock suspension items out as well. Go and check out DutchWareGear website. Titanium everything. Also, the newest 1" wide tree straps are made of kevlar and super light (my complete suspension now weighs 3 ounces flat). Whoopie slings are still king however.

...that's about it off the top of my head.

Dochartaigh
05-28-2015, 12:51
Oh, and there's new tarp materials out as well. Newest I'm interested in is MacCat's SilPoly tarps. All the SilNylon's we're used to using can stretch (especially when wet), and SilPoly (just like using polyester tree straps) doesn't stretch at all - and weighs the same as nylon.

Water filter: Sawyer mini or regular is the cat's meow (I don't know if those were around 2+ years ago). ~$20-25 and 3-6 ounces depending on size (mini has smaller flowrate).