PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania Ticks.

Trance
05-26-2015, 15:33
Without saying a lot. The ticks are thick in Pennsylvaina. I hiked the Raccoon State Park (Western PA) this past weekend, my pants had multiple ticks on them, and I found one burrowing in to my left arm during a 7 hour hike.... luckily for me it was not fully embedded.

Make sure you are dilligent and check yourself and your animals when you are hiking! Pennsylvania is known for having a strong tick presence and this year is the worst I have seen yet.

runt13
05-27-2015, 07:57
Ticks are bad in Jersey as well.

RUNT ''13''

bears12th
05-27-2015, 08:43
Connecticut is awash in them this year as well.

Dochartaigh
05-27-2015, 09:05
Permethrin! Permethrin! Permethrin!

Just treated my clothing for the first time this past weekend when I was hiking through Wharton State Forest in New Jersey (not only home to a massive amount of mosquitos but ticks as well). I didn't find a single tick on me, and no scratchy mosquito bites either (although that population is down due to little rain of late). My four companions were picking ticks off them quite frequently.

rojotide
05-27-2015, 09:48
I agree check yourself

DaveRowell
05-28-2015, 09:54
Had two deer ticks on me yesterday in NH

bill1980
05-28-2015, 11:01
Hiking near Lehigh Gap in PA this weekend and those of us without permethryn had a number of ticks. Those of us that used it with long trousers and long sleeve shirts were hot but insect free. Not as comfortable but safer.

Dochartaigh
05-28-2015, 11:29
Those of us that used it with long trousers and long sleeve shirts were hot but insect free. Not as comfortable but safer.

I think it got to around 85º down in the Pine Barrens this past weekend. When I got a little hot I jacked up my socks (which were treated with Permethrin), and took off the lower convertible pant legs and I felt a lot better – and still didn't get any ticks.

For my shirt, I picked up a Columbia Men's Tamiami II long-sleeve button-up shirt last week and used it for the first time (after being sprayed with permethrin) and I couldn't be happier. MUCH thinner (and cooler) material than the Columbia Silverridge shirts everyone usually has. Bugs didn't seem to try to bite my exposed arms or legs, although they did go for my head (forgot the hat I also treated).