PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the car at Waterton Trailhead for 60ish days?

Birdogsid
05-26-2015, 16:19
I am considering leaving my car at the Waterton Canyon trailhead (Denver Terminus) for the duration of my thru-hike (yo-yo, 60 days) Is this a "safe" option for the car? I mean, is this an area with a low likelihood of vandalism?

handlebar
05-26-2015, 17:40
I would be loathe to leave my car there that long. Why not fly to Denver on SWA? Roundtrip airfare is probably cheaper than gas, meals, motel, etc. for a road trip. You can take airport shuttle to downtown and bus to close to Waterton Canyon then connect with some CT trail angels. This also keeps your options open if you decide to scrap the return leg of the yoyo.

Mags
05-26-2015, 18:00
The CTF has some good info here:
http://www.coloradotrail.org/waterton.html

SUMMARY: Yes, you can leave it. The Waterton Canyon board is not responsible for any damages. There may be other alternatives.

MuddyWaters
05-26-2015, 19:34
Probably not any less-safe than 30-35 days.

4eyedbuzzard
05-27-2015, 08:37
Being away for 60 days you probably want to make sure your battery is in good condition and even then disconnect the negative terminal connection while you're off hiking to prevent parasitic drain of the battery from the car's electronic systems. Coming back to a dead battery wouldn't be a good surprise.

Francis Sawyer
05-27-2015, 09:08
It WOULD have been fine to leave your car but since you decided to yak about it on the web I'm sure that some knucklehead is going to follow your posts and just shortly after you begin , do something nefarious just to teach you a lesson.

LuckyMan
05-27-2015, 10:24
I left my car there for a month or so last summer when I hiked the CT and nobody messed with it, one of the advantages of driving a crummy dented old car. It even started, but to be safe I got a solar car battery charger for a recent 3-week hike. Note that the Waterton parking lot is right by the road and has no security.

ocasey3
05-27-2015, 10:36
I read in some hiker's trail journal that he stored his car at a nearby storage place. Seems like a decent option.

Nooga
05-28-2015, 09:08
I read in some hiker's trail journal that he stored his car at a nearby storage place. Seems like a decent option.
I went this route. I stored my truck at Sedalia RV Storage.

ltrc
07-09-2015, 20:43
I was planning to leave my truck there as well.

How did you get from the storage lot to the trailhead?

ursaminor
07-09-2015, 20:54
I just arranged to leave my car there (Sedalia RV storage). Jim, the owner, will shuttle you to the Trail Head. A very nice guy!

ltrc
07-09-2015, 21:03
Awesome, thanks for the reply!