PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys have to deal with this?

GScout
05-26-2015, 23:23
So I'm a female, 44, section hiking for the first time. I grew up camping, backpacking and hiking, am fit, and have trained well, hiking over 200 miles carrying 25 lbs. in preparation for my 165 mile section of the AT.

In the course of my prep, I've been told by the shuttle service I tried to hire that my hike plans are too ambitious and I should not expect to complete the section I have planned. (Needless to say I hired a different service.)

I was treated by the sales guy at REI like I'm magical because I (gasp!) seem to know what I'm doing. (Thanks to you all and Youtube!)

Same guy also called me "curvy."

And the backpack I bought had a flower hair tie on it. Yes, a flower. Because apparently they must specify that this is for a lady and appeal to my inherent feminine side. The don't dangle footballs or penises off the "male" packs because, you know, we already assume they are for men.

And everyone asks me, "You're hiking ALONE??" As though the trail is especially dangerous for me alone as a woman.

My question is, do you men have to deal with this s**t? Seriously. Please tell me I'm just being overly sensitive. You know, cause I'm a girl and we're very sensitive. (Lol!)

Thanks for listening to my rant. Can't wait to get on the trail in two weeks! Hope to meet some of you there. HYOH!

nsherry61
05-26-2015, 23:40
Yeah, us guys have to deal with all that to. BUT, to us it's shows us we're macho by thinking we can do more and know more than expected instead of hearing the statement as a sexist underestimate of us.

Jake2c
05-27-2015, 00:01
Yup we do, all the time but often under different venues. Actually, I like it better when people think I know less than I do. I get to see if they are legit and I sometimes get info I would not have gotten if they felt I already knew everything. Oh, and the hiking alone thing is something everyone gets. If you do need help, or a ride into town, want to take a wild guess which gender will more often come up on the short end of the stick? Like 61 wrote. . . . .

GScout
05-27-2015, 00:21
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. Glad to hear most of this is not gender-specific.

I should add, too, that both of these guys were nice, well-intended people. I think they were unaware of the impression they made.

magneto
05-27-2015, 04:18
How I - a man - deal with this sort of thing:

1) Ignore unwelcome advice.
2) Hike however the Hell I want.
3) Repeat until reaching destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickb
05-27-2015, 05:57
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. Glad to hear most of this is not gender-specific.

I should add, too, that both of these guys were nice, well-intended people. I think they were unaware of the impression they made.

I think there is a good reminder in there that how one presents advise matters.

I am sure I fall short on occasion but when overhear that given by salespeople at stores, it sometimes makes me want to cringe. I was in EMS a few weeks ago and the first question the salesperson asked a woman looking for packs was what color she liked.

He probably would have asked something equally stupid of a man, but geesh.

Given that level of expertise, I can understand the flower tag to identify a "woman's" pack. I know the pack I have offers a different s-shaped shoulder strap that is designed for most woman (and some men), and that would not be apparent to the average clerk. So that doesn't bother me.

i would think shuttle drivers would know that many woman hike faster than farther than men -- not at all uncommon-- so I expect the advise you got there was unrelated to gender.

brianb2
05-27-2015, 06:30
Interesting thread, fun to read. Unfortunately gone are the days when you can rely on a sales person for legit advice. If you get one that knows their stuff then that's great, but seems to be the exception. That's why forums like these are so valuable.
Shuttle drivers are likely just reacting to what they see. Females soloing aren't an anomaly, but they're not the norm either. Males soloing aren't the norm. They meant well.
You're going to have a lot of time with you soon. Lots of time to contemplate this and more. Curious to hear any epiphanies you have along the way.
Good luck

gsingjane
05-27-2015, 06:51
Well, I can't speak to what people who don't know you will say and do. Sometimes I encounter salespeople who assume I'm a clueless dope and sometimes I don't.

As to the backpacking alone thing, once you have done it once, and come back alive and with your extremities intact, that should pretty quiet down the people who do know you. At least that was my experience. People "ooh'ed and ah'ed" the first time and then after that, "meh."

So are you a Girl Scout?

Jane

billnchristy
05-27-2015, 07:14
We haven't run into that yet, but we are also pretty new to hiking so probably wouldn't know what to take offense to anyway. The funny thing is, out on the trail I have been asked for directions multiple times so I guess we look like we are at home out there.

Offshore
05-27-2015, 07:27
I took a friend to be fitted for her first technical day pack at REI and was surprised to find the Deuter women's packs actually had a flower clipped to them - I'd seen them on the web site but didn't think they actually put them on the stock packs. It reminded me of when the VW new Beetles came out - they had a vase with a daisy on the dashboard because they were marketing to women (as if an artificial flower would make all the difference).

The Deuter flower didn't offend my friend, but she did buy the Gregory J28 over the Deuter based on fit. The flower did catch your eye among a wall of packs, though - so mission accomplished. The REI sales person was also great - asked a lot of questions and spent a lot of time explaining things to my friend. It was a nice balance of not assuming that she knew too much or too little.

TomN
05-27-2015, 07:36
Everyone is always shocked that I go backpacking for long periods by myself, they just don't get it. I rode with a shuttle driver who had a good story. He picks up a guy who had never been backpacking before but has all the latest most expensive gear, never used before. He takes him to the AT near Springer. When he drops the hiker off he seems confused and is looking all around. The driver asks if he is ok, the hiker says he does not see the AT. The driver points it out to him. The hiker is very confused and says that can't be it, the AT is a paved path that runs from GA - ME, that was a dirt trail, he was very shocked. The driver assured him that was the trail. He leaves the hiker there but was doubtful how far he got. I think the shuttle drivers see a lot of people how are totally unprepared.

Pedaling Fool
05-27-2015, 07:37
I'm stuck on "curvy"...can you elaborate;)

cassiedanielle
05-27-2015, 07:42
I'm planning on starting my section hike in July. There is a chance my friend won't be able to come, and I will be one of those 40ish women hiking alone. Some of my friends keep telling me it's not safe. Statistically, it seems crime is pretty low on the AT. Is it ok to plan a solo hike as a woman?

Starchild
05-27-2015, 07:52
FWIW I am often asked if I was doing / did my thru hike alone (I'm a guy) and other hikes I've done, I'd say it is a gender neutral question. The exception was in Maine near where missing (female) thru hiker Inchworm disappeared. Several people asked us, me and my (female) hiking friend, not to hike apart from each other but to stay together in this section.

I've heard comments about starting out too ambitious, not the the level of saying one should not expect to complete it, but take it easy at first and don't be overly ambitious and try to push the big miles right away, so again not exactly seeing a gender issue here either, however some people do take women hikers as less capable then men and are condescending towards them, so it could be.

The sales guy at REI seemed to do you right, your reaction to that seems a bit weird, perhaps you are just expecting to be treated differently, which some would say you are attracting that treatment to yourself by your expectation of it (sometimes called the law of attraction). IDK

As for the pack with the flower on it, I would not mind a appropriate (and lightweight) symbol on my pack however I can see why some (male or female) would not want that. But since packs designed for men don't have them I don't sweat it. I would say the flower is more for easy identification in the store, not only so women can easily see and thus try out a pack designed for women, but men can also know and not accidentally buy a pack designed for women for themselves. Yes this could be done differently, with a removable something which would make it easy to ID in the store yet once you bought it you would have a plain pack.

BirdBrain
05-27-2015, 08:39
I'm stuck on "curvy"...can you elaborate;)

Maybe she is. Some are. That is a relevant factor. Pack designers incorporate the odds of women being shaped differently into their designs. The other pertinent facts is that a high percentage of men are pigs. A high percentage of women know this. This makes talking about a woman's shape as it relates to their pack choice an awkward conversation. I am willing to bet some women reading this would be uncomfortable with your question and my elaboration. Let me say this: My 3 favorite women (my mother, wife, and daughter) would have 3 different pack considerations. If I helped them choose a pack, a conversation about their body shapes would have to happen.

Sarcasm the elf
05-27-2015, 08:50
While I'm sure that women do get these comments more often, I can assure you that as a guy I still get plenty of the "Gasp hiking alone?" "You'll die" "You'll get eaten by a bear" "That's to many miles" comments directed at me. Almost all of this nonsense comes from people either non-backpackers or those with very limited experience.

Also, many people that work at REI/EMS appreciate the rare opportunity when they get to help someone who is actually there to talk shop and get outfitted for a trip. One salesmen told me (paraphrasing) "I'd rather spend three hours with you getting you fitted for a backpack and talking about your trip plans than spend a half hour helping yet another kid pick out a trendy pair of shoes."

influenza54
05-27-2015, 09:26
Oh man, I can't imagine a paved trail that long! I would hate it. Walking on pavement with 30 lbs on my back would kill my knee.

rojotide
05-27-2015, 09:32
You are confident and not overly sensitive. Good luck on the trail and conquer!

Water Rat
05-27-2015, 10:04
Definite eye roll moments, but I completely understand the days where you just want to look around and say, "Seriously?!" It can be a bit much when it is event after event of people doubting your ability without having asked a single question about your hiking background....

My favorite clueless salesperson story involved the time I ran into the cooking section of an outdoor store. I was there to grab a small, simple backpacking stove for a friend's birthday. Though I knew what I was looking for (and had already politely declined the offer of assistance), the salesperson took it on himself to keep trying to sell me the Jetboil Joule. He still didn't get it when I placed the small backpacking stove next to the Joule and asked him "if you were hiking by yourself for over 2,000 miles, which one would you want to carry?"

Sadly, that breed of clueless salesperson seems to have increased its population. I hope you have an amazing hike!

Cotton Terry
05-27-2015, 10:06
GScout, I think you would appreciate Princess Of Darkness on The Trail Show podcast. Check it out.

tscoffey
05-27-2015, 10:22
And the backpack I bought had a flower hair tie on it. Yes, a flower. Because apparently they must specify that this is for a lady and appeal to my inherent feminine side. The don't dangle footballs or penises off the "male" packs because, you know, we already assume they are for men.

Well, you bought it. If you wanted a different one - one that doesn't anger you - you should have bought that one.

GoldenBear
05-27-2015, 10:39
And, even though I don't get the sexist comments you get, half the time people are dumb-founded that I would do such a "dangerous" thing.
"Aren't you worried about bears?" is a common question, and the reply I've come up with is the truth: "Yes, I'm worried -- the bears always run away before I can get my camera ready for a photo."
When someone asked if I carry a gun, I noted that I don't carry a gun* when I walk through downtown Philadelphia at night, so why should I carry such a worthless and heavy piece of equipment when I backpack?

Trust me: through the years, you'll get all sorts of clueless and witless questions and comments.
Just learn to be gracious and polite, and use the opportunity to educate people about the joy of your avocation.
The more of our citizens who get excited about back-country and wilderness experience, the easier it will be to maintain such areas for us hikers.

* Actually, I don't even OWN one, but that's another story.

billnchristy
05-27-2015, 10:46
My wife and I both liked the flower on the Deuters because it did stand out, rather than rifling through bags looking for the tags.

It is removable, right?

Rain Man
05-27-2015, 10:59
Very well said. Better than I might have responded to PF's post, which made me cringe.

Maybe she is. Some are. That is a relevant factor. Pack designers incorporate the odds of women being shaped differently into their designs. The other pertinent facts is that a high percentage of men are pigs. A high percentage of women know this. This makes talking about a woman's shape as it relates to their pack choice an awkward conversation. I am willing to bet some women reading this would be uncomfortable with your question and my elaboration. Let me say this: My 3 favorite women (my mother, wife, and daughter) would have 3 different pack considerations. If I helped them choose a pack, a conversation about their body shapes would have to happen.

bill1980
05-27-2015, 11:10
As another male who backpacks alone, I get more aggravation from my wife and adult children about that than anyone. I think I finally have them convinced, and now I deal with clueless acquaintances who feel I will be eaten by a bear or a non-existant eastern mountain lion. They are always incredulous when I tell them the most dangerous creatures on the AT are a virus carrying mosquito or tick.

LoneStranger
05-27-2015, 11:19
Everyone has to deal with their own version of this. People love to make snap judgments about things. Being a woman, a man, fat, old, not having the current trendy brand of pack or shoe, not having the "right" stove or shelter...the list of reasons folks will use to judge others is pretty much endless. Still, it really all comes down to what is wrong with the person doing the judging, not their target.

BirdBrain
05-27-2015, 11:28
As another male who backpacks alone, I get more aggravation from my wife and adult children about that than anyone. I think I finally have them convinced, and now I deal with clueless acquaintances who feel I will be eaten by a bear or a non-existant eastern mountain lion. They are always incredulous when I tell them the most dangerous creatures on the AT are a virus carrying mosquito or tick.

The thing I don't think we fully grasp is the fact that we are not normal by today's standards. A huge percentage of people have no hope of grasping why we would put a weight on our backs and go for long walks in the woods. I cannot convince my mother that I don't need bear spray. People on the trail ask me if I have an unreasonable fear of bears. I tell them no, but I do have a reasonable fear of my mother. The hike is not just about us. There are some inconveniences that must be endured if we are to live in peace with the "normal" people. Be patient with them. They don't know that they are ignorant and we are not going to cure them of that fact.

Slo-go'en
05-27-2015, 11:35
Shuttle drivers are pretty knowledgeable about the area they serve. By saying your plans are too ambitious, he is speaking from experience since he knows how long it takes the majority of hikers to do that given section. It is very easy for people who have yet to experience the AT to underestimate it's difficulty and over estimate thier ability. Out of curiosity, what section do you plan to do and how many days do you plan to do it in? As a first timer on the AT, I would allow at least 2 weeks to cover 165 miles.

Using flower to identify a woman's pack is a cute idea. Would you rather have a purple or pink pack?

There are many solo female hikers. Nearly everyone starts out alone and hikes alone, but we do tend to come together at the end of the day to camp together and socialize.

Good luck with your trip!

BirdBrain
05-27-2015, 11:37
Everyone has to deal with their own version of this. People love to make snap judgments about things. Being a woman, a man, fat, old, not having the current trendy brand of pack or shoe, not having the "right" stove or shelter...the list of reasons folks will use to judge others is pretty much endless. Still, it really all comes down to what is wrong with the person doing the judging, not their target.

I am not bothered by those that have confidence that their setup works for them. I love to hear the successes in great detail. That is a beautiful thing. What tips me over is when someone bashes someone else's preference. There are so many right ways to do things. The goal should be to find the best right that works for you and then ignore the noise.

Okay. I think I have made up for my earlier praised post :p :D

I should also say that I agree with you LS.

Berserker
05-27-2015, 12:18
First off, I enjoyed the rant...funny stuff.

So I'm a female, 44, section hiking for the first time. I grew up camping, backpacking and hiking, am fit, and have trained well, hiking over 200 miles carrying 25 lbs. in preparation for my 165 mile section of the AT.

In the course of my prep, I've been told by the shuttle service I tried to hire that my hike plans are too ambitious and I should not expect to complete the section I have planned. (Needless to say I hired a different service.)
Yeah, do what you feel comfortable with, and don't worry about the shuttle service. They probably do have some good advice, but I've seen plenty of women on the trail hiking big miles.

The don't dangle footballs or penises off the "male" packs
This was freakin funny.

And everyone asks me, "You're hiking ALONE??" As though the trail is especially dangerous for me alone as a woman.
I'm a 6'5" almost 200lb male and I get this comment all the time...and I don't include my "physical stats" to brag or anything, but rather just to illustrate the ignorance some have of hiking. There's people that I think truly believe the woods are crawling with ravenous wild animals and psychos. People just can't believe I'm going in there without an AR-15 and some grenades :eek:

Alligator
05-27-2015, 12:34
I agree with Slo-go'en, I have often had drivers with good knowledge of the local area. The person may have provided good advice (or not), hard to say without knowing your expected trip length and duration.

I usually know way more about the pros and cons of gear from listening to folks discuss it here and using the gear myself. If you are considering a piece of gear just ask here and you will get plenty of opinions. Now a good boot fitter though is nice to run into.

Sarcasm the elf
05-27-2015, 16:02
And, even though I don't get the sexist comments you get, half the time people are dumb-founded that I would do such a "dangerous" thing.
"Aren't you worried about bears?" is a common question, and the reply I've come up with is the truth: "Yes, I'm worried -- the bears always run away before I can get my camera ready for a photo."
When someone asked if I carry a gun, I noted that I don't carry a gun* when I walk through downtown Philadelphia at night, so why should I carry such a worthless and heavy piece of equipment when I backpack?

Trust

Ah yes, guns! Now how did I forget that when I responded earlier!

"You do pack a gun right?" seems to be the normal follow-up question I'm asked right after "Do you really hike alone." It's just amazing how many non-hikers, I've spoke to, many of whom are generally Anti-gun, who nonetheless insist that it is absolutely necessary for me to bring my pistol when I go backpacking. Over time I've given up on trying to explain to these people just how safe hiking trails really are, or how the trail is the last place I need a gun. They just refuse to accept that bears and axe murders aren't the #1 cause of death for backpackers. Now when I'm asked I just say that it's none of their business what I carry, that way they can go off assuming that I secretly have a firearm in my pack and I can go about my business without having to answer any more silly questions.

Pedaling Fool
05-27-2015, 16:30
Ah yes, guns! Now how did I forget that when I responded earlier!

"You do a gun right?" seems to be the normal follow-up question I'm asked right after "Do you really hike alone." It's just amazing how many non-hikers, I've spoke to, many of whom are generally Anti-gun, who nonetheless insist that it is absolutely necessary for me to bring my pistol when I go backpacking. Over time I've given up on trying to explain to these people just how safe hiking trails really are, or how the trail is the last place I need a gun. They just refuse to accept that bears and axe murders aren't the #1 cause of death for backpackers. Now when I'm asked I just say that it's none of their business what I carry, that way they can go off assuming that I secretly have a firearm in my pack and I can go about my business without having to answer any more silly questions.Just tell them all you need is a log to protect yourself and there are plenty out there, they're free and you don't have to carry it around; just throw it once... http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/us/24bear.html?_r=0

-- Title: Man Throws a Log at a Bear, Killing It

:banana

Hangfire
05-27-2015, 18:12
I tell you what, the toughest badest person I saw on the whole of the trail last year was a woman (can't remember her name) who I think was from Jersey and who seemed to be on a permanent yoyo mission. She was no spring chicken and carried a pack that looked to be well over 60 pounds including a large blue tarp that was wrapped around her pack in a jumble. She also carried a full sized machete as I saw her hacking up firewood for her camp which was far away from the shelter and tent spots. Most of the guys were terrified of her as she would only glare (and it was quite a glare!) at you when passing by, though she did talk to some the female hikers. I wonder what happened to her? Anyone out there know who I'm talking about?
I bring this up because I could just imagine her at an REI type store with a nervous salesperson trying to help her out explaining that she needs a "woman's backpack" ...I'd pay to see that!

Pedaling Fool
05-27-2015, 18:17
I tell you what, the toughest badest person I saw on the whole of the trail last year was a woman (can't remember her name) who I think was from Jersey and who seemed to be on a permanent yoyo mission. She was no spring chicken and carried a pack that looked to be well over 60 pounds including a large blue tarp that was wrapped around her pack in a jumble. She also carried a full sized machete as I saw her hacking up firewood for her camp which was far away from the shelter and tent spots. Most of the guys were terrified of her as she would only glare (and it was quite a glare!) at you when passing by, though she did talk to some the female hikers. I wonder what happened to her? Anyone out there know who I'm talking about?
I bring this up because I could just imagine her at an REI type store with a nervous salesperson trying to help her out explaining that she needs a "woman's backpack" ...I'd pay to see that!I hiked with a girl named Bright Eyes and she carried a heavy pack also, much heavier than the guys and she could hike. Very tough, but she didn't carry a machete; however, she was curvy:)

burger
05-27-2015, 18:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEOFDwWv4fk

dink
05-27-2015, 21:14
I hike alone all the time...doing a 60+ section in july for my 60th birthday. I get more "alone" comments from family than from strangers. I carry bear spray for the possibility of 2 legged pests of the human variety, furry beasts don't bother me at all. Have a great hike!!

Redrowen
05-27-2015, 22:26

Why would you care if someone made a comment like this?

I was treated by the sales guy at REI like I'm magical because I (gasp!) seem to know what I'm doing. (Thanks to you all and Youtube!)

Maybe he was excited about talking to someone knowledgeable in the subject matter. It's change of pace from having to constantly talk about the basics.

Same guy also called me "curvy."

A modern politically correct term. Looks like he was being polite with helping you in selecting the proper backpack and hip belt according to your body dimensions.

Overreact much?

I'm asked stuff like this all the time. These are common questions asked by those inexperienced with wilderness adventures.

My question is, do you men have to deal with this s**t? Seriously. Please tell me I'm just being overly sensitive. You know, cause I'm a girl and we're very sensitive. (Lol!)

It's only s**t if you are of weak character. You might need some growing up to do.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Can't wait to get on the trail in two weeks! Hope to meet some of you there. HYOH!

Have fun on the trail....

OCDave
05-27-2015, 22:59
.... Please tell me I'm just being overly sensitive. ...

OK. You are being overly sensitive. If others doubt you, so what? Will their skepticism prevent you from reaching your goals? Did the backpack with a flower fit you better than those without? Perhaps it did so because it was designed for someone "curvy". Perhaps you are finding insults where none was intended.

You choose your own attitude. If you take everything as a slight, your days will be filled with grief.

shelb
05-27-2015, 23:33
As a gal, I get this too! I think it is especially bad with people from my home town because we are not in a hiking community.

gollwoods
05-28-2015, 01:54
Co workers are the ones I get the most negative vibes from about hiking alone. Always seems solo pursuits are looked at as odd. Then they figure whatever is wrong with you can be talked about til you see the light. After that it is terrifying to them that you at be contagious and they will be ensnared in the madness that drives you to hike alone instead of sitting around with beer watching tube sport

Hoofit
05-28-2015, 04:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEOFDwWv4fk

Uyou'd better bury that one reeeeeaal deep becausethat's funny as sh.t, especially his facial expressions!

4eyedbuzzard
05-28-2015, 06:25

In the course of my prep, I've been told by the shuttle service I tried to hire that my hike plans are too ambitious and I should not expect to complete the section I have planned. (Needless to say I hired a different service.)Probably unwarranted. But the reality is that most people, "section hiking for the first time", as you noted, overestimate the distances they can cover/average, even if they have some experience and train a bit. And shuttle folks will know this because they undoubtably pick many people up short of their planned ending points. Did he know that this was your first section hike? If so, maybe he was just offering cautious advice? :-?

Same guy also called me "curvy."It was probably refreshing to talk to someone who had some knowledge. My son works in retail tech sales and the general public tends to be clueless about most things they buy, regardless of category. Regarding curvy, women anatomically are different than men (shocking) :eek:. And while we can laugh about this epiphany, it is particularly important when fitting hip belt due to pelvic angle and hip curvature. It can also make a difference on type of shoulder straps (straight vs "S" shape).

And the backpack I bought had a flower hair tie on it. Yes, a flower. Because apparently they must specify that this is for a lady and appeal to my inherent feminine side. The don't dangle footballs or penises off the "male" packs because, you know, we already assume they are for men.Gender stereotyping is an inherent part of marketing. It isn't going to change anytime soon. Best to click the ignore button. But I agree, I would tend to be suspect of a pack with a football and especially one with a penis hanging off of it. And at minimum, I'd check it for proper inflation first. The football, that is.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Can't wait to get on the trail in two weeks! Hope to meet some of you there. HYOH!EVERYONE (male, female, and/or whatever one identifies as) has to listen to the "alone", "guns", "bears", "serial killers" stuff. EVERYONE. And yeah, you're mostly just being an "oversensitive girl" ;) And by that I mean that you are getting annoyed by things that are mostly just marketing techniques and stereotypes. Men are subject to the same BS. Look at truck commercials if you want just one example. The male/female product appeal and differentiation is EVERYWHERE in life. Enjoy your hike.

Bronk
05-28-2015, 11:47
I once showed up at a state park about 8pm and went into the park office to buy a camping permit for the night...the first campsite along the trail was only 2 miles up the trail...and it was in Florida so the trail was flat. The lady says she won't sell me a permit because they don't allow people to start their trip so close to dark. I protested that I had a headlamp and that I could easily hike the 2 miles in less than 45 minutes and she refused to relent. Too many in this society feel the need to save people from themselves.

GScout
05-29-2015, 11:04
GScout, I think you would appreciate Princess Of Darkness on The Trail Show podcast. Check it out.

Great tip! Thank you.

GScout
05-29-2015, 11:13
I've really enjoyed the replies to this thread. Got a few giggles and a lot of reassurance.

I am a Girl Scout. Grew up scouting and am now a leader. Scouting has become much less about the outdoors than when I was growing up. But there is a movement afoot to change that, and I am trying to lead by example. There is no better place to have the world revealed to you, or to see yourself as you truly are, than on the trail. Any trail.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories.

GScout
05-30-2015, 01:00
I bring this up because I could just imagine her at an REI type store with a nervous salesperson trying to help her out explaining that she needs a "woman's backpack" ...I'd pay to see that!
Oh, man. I would LOVE to see that too! LOL!!