PDA

View Full Version : Any gear sent home yet?

Colonel Gear
05-27-2015, 14:18
2015 AT Thru-Hikers, sent any gear home, made any upgrades to your kit? Please tell us what changes have been made.

mattjv89
05-29-2015, 08:55
Picked up a summer quilt on a good sale at Trail Days, switched from Aquamira to sawyer (drops got old in a hurry when the water demand became 3-4 liters a day min) downloaded the PDF of AWOL book and sent the paper one home. Phone is in a waterproof case and I have a small battery pack so no concerns about it running dead. I swapped out a lot of clothing for warm weather stuff in Pearisburg. Most recently I've gone completely stoveless and love it. Saved over a pound between the coolest and canister, all my meals are ready immediately, easier resupply in town not checking for fuel first, it's great.

mattjv89
05-29-2015, 08:57
*cookset, and canister. Thanks again autocorrect

Harrison Bergeron
05-29-2015, 18:37
No stove? To each their own, I guess. But I met a kid a couple of weeks ago at Bly gap who was doing 20 mile days without a stove. Instead he wanted to borrow mine. I'm normally happy to help a fellow hiker, but sorry don't ask me to supplement your kit with basic hiking gear that you don't feel like carrying yourself. I told him to enjoy his dry raman.

Its hard enough to consume enough calories on the trail as it is. Going stoveless is just a recipe for a short hike, if you ask me.

BirdBrain
05-29-2015, 18:47
From a weight standpoint and given my preferences, stoveless works for me for 3 days or under. Stoveless food, in general, has more water content. It does not take long before the weight saving of not carrying a cook setup is outstripped by the water content of the stoveless food. I typical carry much more than 3 days of food. I suppose if you run into town every other day or are a crow it might work okay.

I only mention all this because the weight considerations are not as obvious as they seem.

fastfoxengineering
05-29-2015, 19:44
Many, many long distance hikers go stoveless. Its not outrageous. I don't mind it when its hot out but when the cooler nights come around I like a hot meal at night. Switching to a nice light summer quilt gives a new sense of freedom as well

MuddyWaters
05-30-2015, 19:57
only 600 cal per day out of all my food requires a stove. A piddly amount . Its not a big deal at all to go stoveless. You just eat something besides uncooked pasta.
Having warm food is psychological comfort thing. I like it. But also realize that is all it is. Quite a few nights , especially if raining or I am really tired, I just skip the boil water stuff .

I find it really hard to believe that so many hikers who are purported to not carry stoves, are stupid enough to carry food that requires one. Just doesnt seem right.

BirdBrain
05-30-2015, 22:39
only 600 cal per day out of all my food requires a stove. A piddly amount . Its not a big deal at all to go stoveless. You just eat something besides uncooked pasta.
Having warm food is psychological comfort thing. I like it. But also realize that is all it is. Quite a few nights , especially if raining or I am really tired, I just skip the boil water stuff .

I find it really hard to believe that so many hikers who are purported to not carry stoves, are stupid enough to carry food that requires one. Just doesnt seem right.

I am no stoveless expert (as the following will reveal). On short walks (3 days or under), I occasionally go stoveless. I swap out my oatmeal for precooked bacon and hard boil eggs. I swap out my mac-n-cheese for a tortilla wraps with peanut butter and jelly. My stoveless food is heavier than my fbc food. At 4 days it is lighter to carry the fbc food.

On another note, I am having a hard time digesting your last point. Are you suggesting people are carrying fbc food with no stove?

Singto
05-30-2015, 22:39
No stove? To each their own, I guess. But I met a kid a couple of weeks ago at Bly gap who was doing 20 mile days without a stove. Instead he wanted to borrow mine. I'm normally happy to help a fellow hiker, but sorry don't ask me to supplement your kit with basic hiking gear that you don't feel like carrying yourself. I told him to enjoy his dry raman.

Its hard enough to consume enough calories on the trail as it is. Going stoveless is just a recipe for a short hike, if you ask me.

There are plenty of people around us in the world who expect others to carry the burden of making their lives more comfortable so they don't have to. You did the right thing. You want a hot meal...carry your own equipment.

MuddyWaters
05-31-2015, 04:24
On another note, I am having a hard time digesting your last point. Are you suggesting people are carrying fbc food with no stove?

Well why else would all these people reported to want to borrow one , need one?

Doesnt make sense to me either.

Harrison Bergeron
05-31-2015, 14:35
Well why else would all these people reported to want to borrow one , need one?

Doesnt make sense to me either.

Probably the same reason some ultralighters expect a spot in the shelter because they don't want to carry a tent.

"Inevitably a long distance hiker must choose between traveling light or enjoying the other 16 hours a day when he is not hiking." -- Harrison Bergeron

bemental
05-31-2015, 18:19
Probably the same reason some ultralighters expect a spot in the shelter because they don't want to carry a tent.

"Inevitably a long distance hiker must choose between traveling light or enjoying the other 16 hours a day when he is not hiking." -- Harrison Bergeron

Solid quote.

jupiterkn
06-03-2015, 09:39
I sent rain pants weeks ago
Mid layer jacket, base layer bottoms, gloves and beanie from Damascus a week ago

Am off trail now getting root canal and will bring summer bag back with me when I drop back in around Bland/Pearisburg

Also only have shorts with me too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk