PDA

View Full Version : Trash Compactor Bags

Hikingmaddie
05-27-2015, 16:38
Quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to, one im sure is fairly obvious haha. Do you all line your pack with the trash compactor bag the whole time you hike? Or is it just folded up somewhere in your bag until you think its gonna rain and you pull it out then. Thanks for humoring me ;)

saltysack
05-27-2015, 16:40
Always keep all dry things in it...bag,sleep clothes etc...no need for extra wt of stuff sacks and fills pack nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdBrain
05-27-2015, 16:45
Always line my pack with 2 mil bag. You don't need rain to get wet. You might fall where there is water.

rhjanes
05-27-2015, 17:00
always in it.....when bad weather moves in, keep going. You won't have time to stop, unpack, repack in the trash compactor....

Hikingmaddie
05-27-2015, 17:02
makes sense to me! ~thanks

soumodeler
05-27-2015, 17:15
All the time, every time!

Mr. Bumpy
05-27-2015, 17:25
Always protect your junk.:)

Starchild
05-27-2015, 18:06
It's not about 'just in case' it's about if you are using a trash compactor bag it's just darn easier to use it all the time.

rjjones
05-27-2015, 22:11
If your going to carry the weight of the bag,you may as well use it?

Redrowen
05-27-2015, 22:29
Always and forever...

garlic08
05-27-2015, 22:34
For a dissenting opinion, I only use the plastic bag when it's raining. I like to let my insulation "breath" a bit during the day.

Hikingmaddie
05-27-2015, 22:50
For a dissenting opinion, I only use the plastic bag when it's raining. I like to let my insulation "breath" a bit during the day.
I had been reading a blog of someone who appeared to do the same, which is why i got confused in the first place, wasnt sure if it was widespread or not :P thanks everyone

shelb
05-27-2015, 23:08
My bag is a permanent fixture.... If a sudden rain came on, there would never be enough time to unload, put bag in place, reload....

garlic08
05-28-2015, 07:49
I had been reading a blog of someone who appeared to do the same, which is why i got confused in the first place, wasnt sure if it was widespread or not :P thanks everyone

Judging by the posts here, it's not widespread. It must be a personal quirk. You'll develop your own style in time.

I stop for a break every couple of hours (and usually air things out if there's sun) and if the weather looks like it's changing, I'll repack in plastic. Or the reverse.

Berserker
05-28-2015, 12:43
I use one and have it lining the pack all the time. One other thing that wasn't mentioned was sweat. When it gets hot like it's starting to get here on the East coast I actually sweat enough to get my pack wet.

I could see this working well in a dryer environment like on the West coast. I don't know that I'd do it on the East coast unless there's a big high pressure system in place with several forecasted days of no rain...even then it might still rain.

poolskaterx
11-28-2015, 16:37
I always pack into a plastic bag but leave the top open; gives it a little breathing and is really easy to close up if it starts raining. I think the bag also helps in loading items into your pack.. slides in a bit easier. Just my .02

Hosh
11-28-2015, 19:29
I hike in a more arid environment, at least from a relative humidity standpoint. A turkey size oven bag works well, couple ounces lighter, for storing sleeping gear and clothing. I never felt it was necessary to use a total pack liner, who cares if your cook pot gets wet.

On longer hikes, in a humid environment a compactor bag is probably a better choice due to durability. The oven bags are pretty tough, but the bottom seam can split with too much pressure. You could cut the compactor bag to the necessary length and save an ounce or so.

shelb
11-28-2015, 22:42
Pack ALL your stuff in a garbage bag of some sort.... or chance it.... now worth it = IMO

cmoulder
11-29-2015, 17:24
Pack ALL your stuff in a garbage bag of some sort.... or chance it.... now worth it = IMO

Depends on the pack. I have a Zpacks Arc Blast and it has endured moderate rain and a couple of deluges with nary leak. Never been in a situation where I might be floating downstream for a while, so that might affect the decision, but these packs are pretty darn water resistant.

There is also the option of Nylofume bags which are more durable and more pliable than trash compactor bags.

Hosh
11-30-2015, 00:01

To each his own, but not sure why I want to put my damp or wet rain fly/tent next to my down quilt. So then I can two or more garbage bags to keep my damp/wet rain fly/tent from getting wetter?

Heliotrope
11-30-2015, 00:15
I use one and have it lining the pack all the time. One other thing that wasn't mentioned was sweat. When it gets hot like it's starting to get here on the East coast I actually sweat enough to get my pack wet.

I could see this working well in a dryer environment like on the West coast. I don't know that I'd do it on the East coast unless there's a big high pressure system in place with several forecasted days of no rain...even then it might still rain.

Yes, my pack is positively drenched in sweat in warm weather. No need to have that permeate into the dry stuff.

egilbe
11-30-2015, 00:19
To each his own, but not sure why I want to put my damp or wet rain fly/tent next to my down quilt. So then I can two or more garbage bags to keep my damp/wet rain fly/tent from getting wetter?

Now why would you put wet stuff in with dry stuff? Something like a wet shelter, you leave outside your pack to dry. Or, you can close up your trash bag liner and put your wet shelter on top of the folded up trashbag liner.

Hosh
11-30-2015, 00:58
So that would be putting PART of your stuff in a garbage bag. Not sure what the issue is. All I said was keep your dry stuff dry and things that can get wet don't worry about.

Mtsman
11-30-2015, 04:37
I must be unusual as well. I don't like the trash compactor bag process. I have all my dry gear in cuben fiber dry sacks.

Here is a pro and cons list that I could think of:

Pro's:
1. Not as durable, you will probably buy more compactor bags on the way (much cheaper price though, but see #2)
--a hole in one item doesn't have the potential to drench and swimming pool every dry item in your bag.

2. WAY easier to pack / much less frustration on the trail (for me) (i don't have to drag my full pack everywhere to pack up my gear, conversely I don't have to drag all my gear to the bag.). I put all --my bags in my pocket or waste band and take one out, stuff, wrap twice, clip, then toss the container near my backpack. Then after everything is wrapped up i grab them all in the sequence I --want from bottom to top and put them in my bag. I also dont have to tear the things I want down in the order I want to pack them in my bag, or let them sit on the ground unprotected while I tear --down the thing I forgot that goes lower in my bag. most of my gear never even touches the ground (save the obvious items).

3. Water PROOF (compactor bags are only water resistant. for instance, I feel confident I can fully submerge my complete pack of dry goods for a half hour). On the trail I am not going to take the --time to tie up and water seal my compactor bag every day (see #2) usually i did the twist and fold over at best (most the time it was the stuff it down method).

4. everything stays separate (my 3-5 day old underwear is not mixing with my eye mask {ie my watch cap pulled over my eyes}, if you have separate containers for this inside the compactor bag then --the weight gain con starts to shrink)

5. I can pack my load a bit smarter and tighter. ( I like to have my sleeping bag on the bottom of my pack #1lb and it lifts my hammock setup up more to the middle of my back #3lbs total setup)

Cons:
1. weight gain (possibly 3 oz's MAX with my setup and I am being VERY liberal with this).

2. Price (roughly $60's and this is for the top of the line gear. you could do this for cheaper but weight con goes up) (#'s 1-5 more than make up for this)

YMMV HYOH

Mtsman
11-30-2015, 04:39
sorry, the -- parts was for formatting for an easier read. apparently I have not figured out how to edit my posts yet.

nsherry61
11-30-2015, 18:46
Cuz I'm bored and putting off other work I should be doing, I'll offer another dissenting opinion.
1st: I'd never "fold" my trash compactor bag and put it someplace. I just wad it up and cram it into the bottom of my pack until I want it for something.
2nd: I find my pack stuffs a little nicer without my dry gear in the compactor bag. So if there is very little chance of rain or a wet river crossing during the day, and especially if I am using my rain poncho as my raingear (which I almost always do), which keeps my entire pack dry when it is raining, I generally don't stuff gear into my compactor bag.
3rd: BUT, if there is any real chance of my pack getting wet (i.e. traveling in wet weather or crossing wet waterways) I always make sure to stuff the things (and only those things) that I want to keep dry inside a trash compactor bag.

I love my trash compactor bag. I use it to inflate my sleeping pad. I use it to keep the foot of my sleeping bag dry if I'm trying to keep my very long body dry in a heavy rainstorm while sleeping under my very small poncho tarp. I use it to keep all my very warm and puffy insulation dry in wet climates when hiking so I'm nice and comfy in camp and all night long.

And, I just had a fantastic epiphany: If instead of a trash compactor bag, I used one of those Mylar turkey baking bags, maybe I could also use my "dry bag" as a replacement for my tin foil hat while I'm sleeping at night. Hmm.

Hosh
11-30-2015, 19:19
If you find the tin foil hat isn't enough protection, you can upgrade to an armadillo shell.

Traillium
12-01-2015, 00:36
Perhaps a silly question: Here in Canada I can't find 'trash compactor' bags … Are they synonymous with what we call 'garbage bags'? I can find bags up to 4mil (which are mighty strong!) but I have to buy them in boxes of 100…

Bruce Traillium

Traveler
12-01-2015, 06:45
Trash and garbage bags are usually thinner than compactor bags and don't provide the same level of durability and protection. You should be able to find compactor bags at any retailer who sells trash compactors or large department store retailers like Walmart.

Mtsman
12-02-2015, 05:35
Perhaps a silly question: Here in Canada I can't find 'trash compactor' bags … Are they synonymous with what we call 'garbage bags'? I can find bags up to 4mil (which are mighty strong!) but I have to buy them in boxes of 100…

Bruce Traillium

I did a quick search for you:

https://www.reliableparts.com/catalog/Trash-Compactor-Bags

This site has a Canadian site as well. I dont know if those are good bags, or even a good price (as I dont use them) that is just an example of what they are and they are available in Canada. Let these other pro's tell you if those are good quality or a good price.

Traillium
12-02-2015, 09:44
Great link, Mtsman! I'll go looking for them again in town. As well as possibly/probably order some from the site.
I don't think I've ever seen a trash compactor … I certainly don't know if anyone who has one. I didn't know they were even sold here north of the 49th parallel …

Bruce Traillium

TexasBob
12-02-2015, 12:36

Bruce Traillium

The trash compactor bags I have are 2 mil thick if that helps.

foxinnc
12-02-2015, 15:07
i bought a box of 40 "contractor" bags at Lowes. They are 3 mil thick. I usually line my pack and stuff in sleeping bag and sleeping clothes then everything else goes on top of the closed contractor bag.

Christoph
12-02-2015, 15:16
I took 2 and glad I did. Always used one for the liner and the other as a spare. Everything went in separate nylon Walmart Coleman bags for easy storage and the compactor bag made it slide in and out of the pack a little easier too, along with keeping everything dry. A stinking mouse got in my pack and didn't chew on anything except the compactor bag liner. No food or wrappers in there, he just wanted to make a new home for himself I guess. So the spare was a good thing for me because it rained all next day with no towns in near sight.

donthaveoneyet
12-02-2015, 22:08
The trash compactor bags I have are 2 mil thick if that helps.

I haven't specifically tried to rip them (probably should since I have plenty of both, be a good experiment), but my general impression is that the trash compactor bags are a lot stronger than the garbage bags, regardless of measured thickness. Not really sure if this is true, but I've ripped a few garbage bags (yes, I mean the big 3 mil kind from the Borg), have not ripped a trash compactor bag. Do you think they are made of different materials?

Hosh
12-03-2015, 11:09
Seems logical since the compactor bags are exposed to multiple cycles of a mechanical ram. They do seem "stiffer" and not as elastic as garbage bags. Either is probably fine and it would boil down to weight.

cmoulder
12-03-2015, 17:51
Nylofume bags (http://quantumtermite.com/nylofume-bags-20)

Lighter in weight, much more flexible, durable.

Not exactly cheap, but if a few people get together and spread the cost it's negligible considering other gear prices...

Hosh
12-07-2015, 19:30
Nice idea, I have a couple of these set aside for food storage. They are a nice size and probably more durable than oven bags.

Worse comes to worse, I can put my dirty socks & underwear in it after a couple of weeks on the trail.

cmoulder
12-12-2015, 11:44
Nice idea, I have a couple of these set aside for food storage. They are a nice size and probably more durable than oven bags.

Worse comes to worse, I can put my dirty socks & underwear in it after a couple of weeks on the trail.

I use the trail agitator washing machine method... a gallon Ziploc, a few drops of Dawn and water, and shake-shake-shake. It's amazing how manky stuff can get in a few days. :(

saltysack
12-12-2015, 14:00
I use the trail agitator washing machine method... a gallon Ziploc, a few drops of Dawn and water, and shake-shake-shake. It's amazing how manky stuff can get in a few days. :(

I've also turned compactor bag inside out and done same thing...bear can also works well.