PDA

View Full Version : NJ from top to bottom

Back on the trail
05-27-2015, 17:28
Well I just got back from Hiking NJ. Since there doesn't seem to be alot of "how things are" for NJ, here we go.

Trail conditions are great. Trail very well marked except for one spot where the Iris or Ibis trail branches off. I'm not sure who thought using a white blaze with a red reflector over it was a good idea when the two trails are going to over lap. If I didn't second guess and check just in case I surely would have walked really far to who knows where. I did notice hiking south there are far fewer blazers than north bound.
Trail itself pounded dirt in a few spots, but since its almost all rock just keep hopin.

So from Waywayanda to Mochian. Every Shelter was clean and well maintained nothing in disrepair.
All the Privies were stocked with saw dust and clean. Not to much trail garbage to speak of.

Weather was anywhere from 83 and 100% humidity with lighting and rain to 38 degrees and crystal clear.

somers515
05-27-2015, 19:45
Sounds like you had a nice hike! Last time I was hiking the AT near the Iris trail there were a bunch of people on the AT wondering how they lost the Iris trail. Since the Iris trail is flat and easy in comparison they were slightly miffed. : ) The Iris trail criss-crosses the AT a few times in that section if I recall correctly.

coach lou
05-27-2015, 20:07
I did a round trip from Catfish to the Monument and back. When I got to the Monument it started to pour. I had grabbed a State Park trail map and read that the Iris trail ran along old carriage rods and ski trails..............."hummmmmm, no rocks, no climbs, it's pouring, it runs along the AT SOBO.....hummmmmmmm..............IRIS BLAZE!!!! and it was a nice walk.

Carbo
05-27-2015, 20:26
Hiking the NJ section, I can't believe I'm in NJ.

FreshStart
05-27-2015, 22:33
Just finished NJ in sections from Dunnfield Creek north. It was great, iris was alittle strange. It was my first completed state on the AT. Now on to NY!

shelb
05-27-2015, 23:23
I agree about the secret "NJ"!

This will be my "knock-off state" for this year. If you have any other helpful hints, please provide them!

Thanks!!!!!

verysimple
06-13-2015, 22:25
Plan to hike nj soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dachef07712
12-31-2015, 00:11
Plan to hike nj this June 2016 ... Maybe a 3 day 2 night.... Any pointers

shelb
12-31-2015, 00:29
This was a very EASY state with frequent resupplies (never carried more than 3 days of food). Great water sources...

Have fun!

Dachef07712
01-04-2016, 20:45
How many days did it take you ?

wornoutboots
01-04-2016, 21:01
Plan to hike nj this June 2016 ... Maybe a 3 day 2 night.... Any pointers

As far as getting to the trail if you don't have a ride, I rented a car with enterprise since I knew there was one in Stroudsburg, PA the town @ 8-9 miles from DWG & dropped it off there & they drove me to the trail. You can stay at Church of the Mountain hostel to set up your start it's nearly right on the trail. The sycamore grill a good restaurant & bar is right down the street + a bakery & diner & small outfitters isn't too far away either.

iAmKrzys
01-04-2016, 22:20
That intersection of Iris Trail & AT is indeed pretty confusing. One time I was hiking Iris Trail with my son at the height of blueberry season and we ran into 3 bears just north of Rutherford Shelter (on Iris Trail, not AT.) I try not to forget my bear bell ever since, even though I'm not sure if it makes any difference...

Sarcasm the elf
01-04-2016, 22:27
That intersection of Iris Trail & AT is indeed pretty confusing. One time I was hiking Iris Trail with my son at the height of blueberry season and we ran into 3 bears just north of Rutherford Shelter (on Iris Trail, not AT.) I try not to forget my bear bell ever since, even though I'm not sure if it makes any difference...

Bear bells are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, because they are marketed as a safety device, yet those who make and sell them don't seem to have produced a shred of evidence that they do anything. The small amount of anecdotal evidence i've seen suggests that bears don't pay attention to the sound, possibly because the faint high pitched jingle doesn't sound like anything they would need to be concerned with. The sound of human voices or clapping hands would likely be much more effective at alerting a bear to your presence.

Malto
01-04-2016, 22:43
How many days did it take you ?

I did NJ in under 48 hours, it was pretty straight-forward. As for tips, I would do it earlier if possible, I did it in July and actually changed my shelter out after that trip. the combination of rain, heat and bugs were to much for my tarp and bivy. Had to chose between being eaten or frying. Long night. I hiked NY in the spring. That would be my choice for NJ, or the fall.

Malto
01-04-2016, 22:49
One more thing. I believe Joe to go (at US 206) only takes cash. I seem to remember that being a problem because I forgot to take cash. No morning mocha.

snorz
01-04-2016, 23:27
joe to go aint no mo!

Sarcasm the elf
01-04-2016, 23:36
joe to go aint no mo!

Yup, I believe it's now the Sunrise Appalachian Trail Deli. I haven't been there but have heard that it is very hiker friendly.

iAmKrzys
01-04-2016, 23:43
Bear bells are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, because they are marketed as a safety device, yet those who make and sell them don't seem to have produced a shred of evidence that they do anything. The small amount of anecdotal evidence i've seen suggests that bears don't pay attention to the sound, possibly because the faint high pitched jingle doesn't sound like anything they would need to be concerned with. The sound of human voices or clapping hands would likely be much more effective at alerting a bear to your presence.
I guess the future equivalent of a bear bell should be a solar-powered speaker that will read the story of Winnie the Pooh using a realistic but scary-sounding voice of Darth Vader! :)

Dachef07712
01-05-2016, 00:03
Thanks everyone

Traveler
01-05-2016, 08:41

Never mind the annoyance to anyone within earshot that could become the problem as opposed to any bears.

rocketsocks
01-05-2016, 09:07
Deep Purple's space t****in' on my ipod works for me...bears hate that.

shelb
01-05-2016, 23:55
evidence i've seen suggests that bears don't pay attention to the sound, possibly because the faint high pitched jingle doesn't sound like anything they would need to be concerned with. The sound of human voices or clapping hands would likely be much more effective at alerting a bear to your presence.

Once, I had a hiker in front of me with a bear bell. She walked through an area (about 1/8 - 1/4 mile ahead of me) jingling as she went... I walked through - right behind her - singing to my music, and I scared the bear that was right next to the trail out of the bushes. It took off running!

Moral of the story: Bear bells do not scare bears. My singing does!

show me the monkey
03-01-2016, 11:41
Moral of the story: Bear bells do not scare bears. My singing does!

Bear bells aren't supposed to scare bears, they're supposed to keep you from startling them.
The bears in NJ are mainly people aware.

Professor Paul
09-14-2016, 00:04
Deep Purple's space t****in' on my ipod works for me...bears hate that.
Great song.

rocketsocks
09-14-2016, 10:50
Great song.i guess truckin' was a band word back in '15

Downhill Trucker
10-09-2016, 06:17
Got some good tips here. I'm doing this hike next week. Hoping to catch fall colors. Any suggestions are awesome.

I prefer to stealth camp at overlooks and such, usually hauling my water and hammocking. Will I be able to pull this off at all? And only fires in designated sites... What is their availability and which ones are good.

Looks like water will be fine lol

Thanks DHT

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

rafe
10-09-2016, 07:28
Got some good tips here. I'm doing this hike next week. Hoping to catch fall colors. Any suggestions are awesome.

I prefer to stealth camp at overlooks and such, usually hauling my water and hammocking. Will I be able to pull this off at all? And only fires in designated sites... What is their availability and which ones are good.

Be aware that there are no-camping rules along that section of trail. And lots of bear activity. It's a beautiful piece of trail. I enjoyed NJ, a lot.

cdk4091
10-09-2016, 10:47
Finished the section from DWG to NJ 517 in late September. No bears, plenty of other wildlife including coyotes. Beautiful and relatively easy state.

Sandy of PA
10-09-2016, 11:24
No fires allowed at all in New Jersey when I hiked it in 2011 and 2014. That was all the ridge runner was concerned about, making sure no one had a fire.

Dogwood
10-09-2016, 12:30
The AT through NJ is a great hike for its diversity of terrain, scenery, far ranging overlooks, ease of resupply, multiple TH access points some served by public transportation connections, cleanliness, abundance of black bears/whitetail deer/birds/ reptiles,....

As one born in NJ and a previous 25 yr NJ resident who spent much time on the NJ segment of the AT backpacking, thru-hiking , doing trail construction and maintenance my favorite time is with fall color and cooler temps. The NJ AT segment is vastly underestimated, has negative misconceptions associated with it, and is not fully appreciated by AT thru-hikers who tend to zoom through the state as fast as possible in that typical gotta go gotta go gotta be somewhere else mindset.

Don't miss taking in DWG from the NJ side possibly taking the blue or red dot trails that junction with the AT to an awesome overlook at Mt Tammany, soaking in the rays at Sunfish Pond, enjoying the very good Kittatinny(kit - a - tin - ee) Ridge, the awesome view from Culver Gap Fire Tower, the awesome sunrise or sunset view from the stone Sunrise Mountain Pavillion, the three state view from the High Point Monument, NJ's state high point), and the enjoyable nature walk by bird spotting along the Pochuck Boardwalk.

It amazes me how many AT thru-hikers ignore or miss these valuable experiences in their go go go gotta be somewhere else gotta be doing something else in some other place thru-hiker mindsets.

One should appreciate through knowledge the abundant NJ black bear population not fear it through ignorance. Protect food by hanging it appropriately or in some other manner, make noise as one moves through heavy brush, and a backpacking hiker should avoid most bear human issues. NJ has a bear hunting season.

One could combine a paddling trip say on the Delaware River with a thru-hike of the NJ AT segment.

For all you fishing and hiking persons who seek a variety of fish to catch the Delaware River has a diverse species list. In one 20 mile stretch of the river one can fish for BOTH Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, Hybrid striped and Striped bass, Rock Bass, walleye, pickerel, yellow perch, crappie, tiger muskies(I caught a 24 lber), Northern Pike, Musky, eels, suckers, shad in season, at least three types of trout(rainbow, brook brown), at least three types of catfish including large size channel cats, some monster carp, etc. I've seen 4+ ft long sturgeon swimming past me. IMO, it's one of the best fisheries for variety and ease of catching something while on a hike of the entire AT. And, when has anyone ever read about an AT hiker fishing the Delaware River?

Downhill Trucker
10-10-2016, 04:57
Thanks for all of the info. Great stuff. We leave Sunday so I'm very excited.

I read that you could have fires in existing fireplaces (ie: shelters and campsites) . I can't have any at all through the entire section?

Any suggestion on which way to hike it? I was thinking NOBO but I didn't really want to leave a car in DWG. Also chance my shuttle might fall through. Any suggestions? Does George Lightfoot still drive?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Schnitzel
10-10-2016, 08:31
Just to give you a heads up - NJ Bear Hunt is open from October 10-15, for archery and muzzle loading guns. I think you'll be out afterwards, but you might have to deal with either traumatized bears, or traumatized protesters, or both.

Yep - no campfires allowed in NJ except for designated campsites - translation: Shelters. I don't know how stringently it's enforced, but speaking as someone who lives in NJ, let me assure you that any "wrongdoing" that you are caught perpetrating results in large fines - state needs the revenue.

If you are not married to the idea of sticking to White Blazes only, I highly recommend hiking the Dunnfield Creek Trail instead of/in addition to the AT. It runs from the Dunnfield Creek parking lot to Sunfish Pond, and it's just lovely, hugging the creek the entire time - lots of creek crossings, and lots of waterfalls. It's also a stocked stream, if you are into fishing.

I hope that you enjoy your hike - it's a really beautiful section of the AT, and you're in for a treat. I'm jealous!