PDA

View Full Version : Nice article about GSMNP ridgerunner "Greybeard".

oldwetherman
05-27-2015, 20:23
http://www.grahamstar.com/view/full_story_free/26657159/article-Part-of-safety-team-in-Great-Smokies?instance=lead_story

HighLiner
05-27-2015, 20:45
I met Greybeard two weeks ago at Mollies Ridge Shelter as he was checking for permits. A very experienced and competent person. I saw all three ridge runners in the park that week. Amazing! Good move ATC.

map man
05-27-2015, 21:57
I met Carl on May 14 of this year on my section hike from Winding Stair Gap to Allen Gap -- he passed me going north on the trail and then we both ended up at Russell Field Shelter that night. A good guy -- a helpful guy. And he is in awesome hiking shape. He told me that once I got to Mollies Ridge Shelter it would be another hour hike to Russell Field and another hour past that to Spence Field, but that was at HIS hiking speed -- it took me significantly longer.

You do have to talk pretty loudly to converse with him though -- he physically defies age in many ways but he is definitely losing his hearing!

illabelle
05-27-2015, 22:08
Neat story! We met Greybeard - though we didn't know the name - at Russell Field on Saturday, May 16. We had carried some fruit up there to share with whoever might be at the shelter. Nice guy, and he shared a few stories about dealing with boars and bears.