PDA

View Full Version : AT targeted for new superhighway across wilderness

Tha Wookie
11-15-2005, 02:22
http://www.georgia-atclub.org//gatc_I_3_position.html

read the above link. It's kind of old, but I had heard only very little about this until recently.

From what I understand, they are now mapping out the road, and testing its feasibility.

We might be in for a bitter fight.:(

Ramble~On
11-15-2005, 05:35
I really hope that "they" are not stupid enough to move ahead with such a project. There is no need for such a road as there are already plenty of roads linking both of those cities.

Two Speed
11-15-2005, 07:05
Trust me, they're plenty dumb enough.

orangebug
11-15-2005, 09:25
Remember the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway that impacts Testnatee and Hog Pen Gaps? The road that split the longest roadless section of the AT?

You will never go broke underestimating the stupidity of politicians and beaurocrats.

the goat
11-15-2005, 09:39
man, this ***** pisses me off. it seems that some people have way too much time on their hands that they have to think up some useless, waste of money project like this.

justusryans
11-15-2005, 09:43
They have to somehow justify their own existence

the goat
11-15-2005, 09:47
They have to somehow justify their own existence

.....truer words have never been spoken!!!

Lone Wolf
11-15-2005, 09:53
Cool! Another scenic road to ride my Harley on.:D

Tha Wookie
11-15-2005, 09:57
Cool! Another scenic road to ride my Harley on.:D

Maybe they'll route it right through Damascus so you won't have to use too much gas.

this is not a scenic road.

As Steinbeck said in Travels with Charley (from memory, help appreciated), "Thefederal interstate system has made it possible for us to drive from New York to LA without seeing a thing."

Sly
11-15-2005, 10:06
Here's some more info.

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-003.html

http://isakson.senate.gov/press/2005/042805interstates.htm

The #3 designation is shamelessly tied to the war on terror.

justusryans
11-15-2005, 10:14
Maybe they'll route it right through Damascus so you won't have to use too much gas.

this is not a scenic road.

As Steinbeck said in Travels with Charley (from memory, help appreciated), "Thefederal interstate system has made it possible for us to drive from New York to LA without seeing a thing."

close enough!!!:banana

hiker33
11-15-2005, 10:25
for the Stop I-3 Coalition:

http://www.stopi3.org

So far it appears that the only strong supporters are the three Senators who introduced the intital legislation and then got funding added to the transportation bill. Local communities don't want it. However, once these things get rolling they tend take on a life of their own regardless of what the people want.

Tha Wookie
11-15-2005, 10:32
If you are in the new district 12

see map:
http://www.ga12gop.com/2006CongMap.pdf

make sure you vote against Republican Max Burns in the 2006 elections, who conceived of the idea. What a putz.

What YOU can do!
http://www.stopi-3.org/action.html

The Solemates
11-15-2005, 10:57
If you are in the new district 12

see map:
http://www.ga12gop.com/2006CongMap.pdf

make sure you vote against Republican Max Burns in the 2006 elections, who conceived of the idea. What a putz.

What YOU can do!
http://www.stopi-3.org/action.html

i nominate you, wookie, to write a letter to the correct people and post it hear on WB so that everyone can download it and then sign it and send it. doing it this way would get many more people to respond, who may never take the trouble to write it themselves otherwise.

PartnerShip
11-15-2005, 11:12
another congress-Knucklehead to vote against as often as possible: North Carolina's Charles "I want to build a road through the GSMNP in order to get votes" Taylor. Sometimes I am ashamed to be a from NC.

Stillness

Tha Wookie
11-15-2005, 11:14
i nominate you, wookie, to write a letter to the correct people and post it hear on WB so that everyone can download it and then sign it and send it. doing it this way would get many more people to respond, who may never take the trouble to write it themselves otherwise.

I already wrote one, but I doubt many people would want to echo my sentiments in that one. I'll see what I can do.... but it will have to be later as I am getting ready for my photo opening show this weekend.

That is a very good idea. if anyone else steps up before I can get to it, then go ahead. I need to research it a little more. I just found out that it was real -I thought it was a joke!

mnof1000v
11-15-2005, 13:32
I would like to preface my post here by saying that what follows is about more than this proposed road interfering with the AT. I'm not trying to criticize what everyone is saying, but I fear some complacency and ignorance exist about our government and what it can or should do. Bear with me.

I know there's a general distrust of politicians and government. That's at the bedrock of American political thought since our country's birth. However, simply railing against such actions as this on a website such as this one does not solve the problem. We - I mean those who really are concerned about the issue at hand here - must do more than cite our complaints to each other.:datz

So, I applaud those of you who have offered alternatives, links, and such that highlight those idiots in Congress that have suggested this plan. But at the same time, I am insulted at this notion that "they" will do what they want no matter what their public wants. I'm sorry, my friends, but that is why we vote. If it seems your local, state, or federal government is lacking in some way, the best thing you can do is educate yourself and vote. Don't just throw your hands up and cry - "Oh well! They'll do it anyway!"

Democracy is a funny thing... It works best when people get involved.:banana

[And I'll get off my soap box now...]

Sly
11-15-2005, 13:40

Thanks. I vote, but living down south my choices seldom get elected. Now when I lived in Manomet, I felt like a winner instead of a whinner. ;)

Dances with Mice
11-15-2005, 13:47
I just found out that it was real -I thought it was a joke!The GATC's been fighting this since it was a rumor. Glad you're now up to speed. Dick's Creek will be the AT-highway crossing point, at which time it may be the Dick's Creek tunnel.

Local opposition prevented Atlanta's Outer Perimeter from being built and at one time that was considered a done deal: most of the right-of-way had been acquired, the environmental impact studies were done and the bulldozer operators were sharpening their blades. Those plans were scuttled by focused local opposition and after many nameplates were changed inside a lot of local and state political offices.

Eyesore III's not that far along yet.

Whistler
11-15-2005, 13:49
Good points. Reminds me of something I read recently, but I can't remember where. Maybe I picked it up from another WBer. Paraphrased: The point of a democracy is not that the majority is right, but that the majority can change.

As for the sentiment of, "Oh well! They'll do it anyway!"... Well, they will. :) But I still feel better when I stick it to'em with a letter or a phone call.
-Mark

the goat
11-15-2005, 13:54
Democracy is a funny thing... It works best when people get involved.:banana

[enter the goat, stepping onto soap box]

:clap EVERYONE VOTE "THE GOAT" IN 2006!!!:clap

let's start the revolution people!!!......does anyone have my petition ready yet?

Sly
11-15-2005, 14:10
If you are in the new district 12 make sure you vote against Republican Max Burns in the 2006 elections, who conceived of the idea. What a putz.

Is he running again? It looks like he already got defeated and his successor may be just as bad.

From a link above...

"On November 2, 2004, Representative Max Burns was defeated by Democrat John Barrow. Due to the extensive, bipartisan support of the freeway, local suggest that new Representative Barrow is likely to lobby just as hard for the road as Burns did."

Who's supporting the Interstate anyway? It doesn't appear that the locals are.

c.coyle
11-15-2005, 14:11
... But at the same time, I am insulted at this notion that "they" will do what they want no matter what their public wants. I'm sorry, my friends, but that is why we vote. If it seems your local, state, or federal government is lacking in some way, the best thing you can do is educate yourself and vote. Don't just throw your hands up and cry - "Oh well! They'll do it anyway!"

Democracy is a funny thing... It works best when people get involved. ...

Here, here. My turn to get on the soapbox.

This past July, our Pennsylvania legislators voted themselves and state judges a clearly illegal, obscenely large, behind closed doors, midnight pay raise. They arrogantly thought that the suckers who voted them in would grumble a little, but forget it by the November, 2006 legislative elections.

Well, Pennsylvanians have gone absolutely apesh**t. Because none of our legislators was up for re-election last week, we, for the first time in history, voted out a sitting Pa. Supreme Court justice, and almost voted out a second. We elect our judges here, and every 10 years they have to stand for a simple "retain / don't retain" election, which has always been automatic. They usually get retained by at least an 80% vote.

The two unlucky justices, who by all accounts had done good jobs, got axed simply because they happened to be up for retention, and we had no one else to direct our outrage at.

Better yet, the cowardly legislators have noticed, and are now fearing for their own jobs. It looks like the pay raise will be repealed before the week's out, and that many of the culprits will actually give back what they've already received.

These are stunning developments. Anyone who thinks their elected officials won't pay attention if enough hell is raised is wrong. On the other hand, your "representatives" will just arrogantly thumb their noses at you if you sit on your asses and let them get away with this stuff because you think "there's nothing we can do about it."

This is a great country we live in, but we have to work to keep it that way.

(Sorry if this sounds a little preachy)

Almost There
11-15-2005, 14:23
I for one say call their offices...constantly, if we tie up their phone lines and piss them off a little then they'll listen, but you have to do something. Letters are alright, but can just be filed away, make a human answer the phone!

Tha Wookie
11-15-2005, 15:40
Is he running again? It looks like he already got defeated and his successor may be just as bad.

From a link above...

"On November 2, 2004, Representative Max Burns was defeated by Democrat John Barrow. Due to the extensive, bipartisan support of the freeway, local suggest that new Representative Barrow is likely to lobby just as hard for the road as Burns did."

Who's supporting the Interstate anyway? It doesn't appear that the locals are.

I really doubt Barrow would I've talked with him on several occasions. He used to be a council member in Athens. Interesting guy. Talks forever. But I know he usually opposes roads unless they make a lot of sense. But who knows?

since the Republicans have redrawn the districts for the next elections, (they love changing the rules), I THINK he won't be running against Barrow again, but not sure. Like I said, I need more time to research.

Yes, Max Burns did announce he will run again in 2006, btw

He'd better run fast.

weary
11-15-2005, 15:54
.....Anyone who thinks their elected officials won't pay attention if enough hell is raised is wrong. On the other hand, your "representatives" will just arrogantly thumb their noses at you if you sit on your asses and let them get away with this stuff because you think "there's nothing we can do about it." ...
Absolutely true. And I've found that it takes surprisingly few letters and phone calls to get a politician's attention. In Maine at least legislators I've talked to find a dozen calls on an issue "a huge response."

BTW we formed the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust in an effort to head off similar crisis situations along the trail in Maine. Unlike Georgia and North Carolina where the trail is at least partially protected by miles of National Parks and Forests, the Maine AT corridor is rarely wider than a thousand feet and in places is but 200 feet wide.

This didn't matter much when the surrounding lands were mostly owned by companies devoted to growing trees for their Maine mills. In less than a decade, however, all these private paper company lands have been sold to land development companies. The pressure is likely to be enormous for new roads paralleling the trail and crossing the trail.

Sadly a private road has already been built across the trail in the 100-mile-wilderness to reach a subdivision just north of Monson.

We've already bought one mountain, Abraham, and the southeastern slopes of Saddleback. Our long range goal is to create mile-wide buffers on each side of the trail. Whether we succeed or not depends on how many respond, and with how much, to our pleas for the funds needed.

Weary www.matlt.org

Jack Tarlin
11-15-2005, 18:30
My two cents:

Whikle I think Wookie's suggestion that interested folks contact their legislators is a good one, I generally stay away from mass-mailings.

Having spent a lot of time working on various campaigns and for various politicians, in my experience, mass mailings that originated from one source (whether an advocacy organization, lobbying group, a church, university, or whatever) are generally ignored. Letters have a MUCH greater chance of of being read by an individual politician, and getting a response, if they are written and sent by individuals.

If you send along a letter composed by someone else, make sure you change it a bit, or add some personal stuff.

By all means let the recipient know that you are one of his/her constituents, and let them know you never miss an election.

You might be surprised, because sometimes they'll actually write you back.

Sly
11-15-2005, 19:51
My two cents:

Having spent a lot of time working on various campaigns and for various politicians, in my experience, mass mailings that originated from one source (whether an advocacy organization, lobbying group, a church, university, or whatever) are generally ignored.

When was that Jack, before the internet? The postcard campaign by Saddleback was enough enough to weaken the protection over that mountain.

I think most politicians are aware of the emergence of the internet and e-campaigns, especially if they're from legitimate organizations that use your name and address, and will respond to their constituency unless they're totally in someones pocket or have their own best interest in heart.

Plus, I couldn't care if they write me back. It's their vote that counts.

Mags
11-15-2005, 20:02
Online petitions and e-mail is looked up as too easy by most offices. Anything that takes a bit more effort really grabs a congress critters attention.

If you really want to make your voice heard, type out a letter, sign it and mail it the old fashion way. A phone call is second best. E-mail is and electronic petitions are a distant third and fourth.

The following is from a unitarian site, but applies to just about any political campaign. Good advice.

Tips on Effective Advocacy

http://www.uua.org/uuawo/new/img/pic/VAdayofpossibilities.jpgA Virginia UU meets with her State Representatives at the VA Day of Possibilities, January 2003. Photo by robin hoecker. No one can do everything everywhere, but everyone should do something somewhere!

The commitment required to be an effective advocate can be as short as a 1 minute phone call or as long as organizing a coalition visit to an elected official. Below are some tips on each of the most likely methods, organized from most effective to least effective.

After a visit, writing letters and making telephone calls are by far the most effective means of advocacy. Postcards, petitions, and emails (provided they include your name and address) have some impact, but considerably less. Online petitions can be good for raising awareness, but may be inaccurate and are typically not effective advocacy. Petitions forwarded by email are almost always outdated and/or wrong and should be avoided.

Please remember to identify yourself as a Unitarian Universalist when communicating with Members of Congress and their staff. You'd better believe that they're hearing from conservative religious activists all the time. They need to hear from us a whole lot more!

For more advocacy resources, including how to find out more information about your Member of Congress, log on to the Washington Office website at www.uua.org/uuawo and click “Advocacy Resources.”

Most Effective: Visiting Members of Congress

A face-to-face visit with an elected official, or their staff, is the most influential form of advocacy. This direct lobbying can be time-consuming, but it can also be fun, interesting, and rewarding. Elected officials, particularly on the federal level, have very demanding schedules. Don't be disappointed if you have to meet with a staffperson—chances are good that they know more about the issue than the member anyway! Group visits are particularly effective, especially when different organizations or constituencies (such as religion, labor, and business) are represented. If you're determined to meet with your Member in person, a group visit increases your chances. For more information on how to prepare and conduct a visit, consult the Washington Office’s Tips on Visiting Members of Congress resource, available at www.uua.org/uuawo under the heading “Advocacy Resources.”

Letters

Writing letters in your own words is an efficient and effective way to influence Members of Congress. Since congressional offices receive only a handful of letters on most issues, each carries real power. Identifying yourself as a person of faith make your letter be even more compelling! Please keep in mind that due to irradiation, many letters do not reach Congressional offices for 3-5 weeks. If you’re writing about an urgent issue, fax your letter.

Think about your letter as having three paragraphs, or parts. The opening part should clearly state your position and why you hold it. Urge the Member of Congress to take specific action (e.g. vote for/against a particular bill or amendment; co-sponsor a bill; etc.) The second part should give more information on the bill/action in question and evidence supporting your position. The third part should be a brief summary and provide final encouragement. When possible, try to thank your Member for some action they've taken in the past. To find fax numbers for your Members of Congress, log on to the Washington Office website at www.uua.org/uuawo and click “Advocacy Resources.”

Letter-Writing Tips

· One-page letters are ideal. Say what you need to say, but be as brief as possible.
· Keep your letter to one issue. A letter with a laundry list of issues has less impact than a letter on one topic.
· Make it legible and neat. Legible handwritten letters and well-typed letters are both effective.
· When possible, include a specific bill number.
· Do not write nasty or insulting letters. It is not an effective means of persuasion.

The Honorable ____
U.S. Senate
Washington, DC 20510
The Honorable ____
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Telephone Calls

Although not as effective as letters, telephone calls are very important—especially when the respective legislation is being debated or voted upon. A constituent will rarely get through to a member of Congress on the telephone, but talking to or leaving a message for the relevant staff person definitely has an impact. Remember to identify yourself as a Unitarian Universalist.

The U.S. House of Representatives Switchboard is (202) 225-3121; the Senate is (202) 224-3121. Be prepared to ask for your Member's office by name When you've reached the office, you can either (1) name the issue you're interested in and ask to speak to the staffperson who works on the issue; or (2) make your statement to the person who has answered the phone. The former is probably more effective; the latter more efficient. To find information about your representatives, see www.uua.org/uuawo.

Petitions

Petitions, though relatively easy to circulate, are not a highly effective means of persuasion unless they will be delivered in person to an elected official. It is precisely because they are easy to gather that they are not as compelling as, say, a few personal letters. A petition is better than nothing, but taking the extra time and effort to write a letter is considerably better.

Postcards

Postcards have some influence, but they are not nearly as effective as letters. A postcard that you write yourself is much more effective than a preprinted postcard. However, if your choice is between writing a postcard and doing nothing-- write the postcard.

Emails

Although few if any emails actually reach the Members themselves, most are seen or addressed by the staff in some way. How emails are handled varies widely from office to office—some will make sure you get a personal reply, some will send an automatic reply and nothing else.

Keep in mind that sending a letter through the mail is much more effective than an email. If you are going to email—which is certainly better than nothing—be sure to include your home mailing address in your message! Not only are you more likely to get a response, but your viewpoint will carry more weight.

Least Effective: Internet Petitions

Online petitions can be good for raising awareness about a subject, but may be inaccurate and are typically not effective advocacy. Perhaps their best use is for building a database of people interested in your cause.

If you’re going to sign an internet petition, do so only through a website—not by email. Email petitions are often wrong, outdated, or both. Also, there is nothing to prevent the petition from being changed after (or before) you've signed it. Most importantly, these petitions are essentially meaningless to elected officials because they never include the street addresses of signers.

Petitions hosted on a website do not change, and they are more secure, but they can still be inaccurate or outdated. Personal letters or telephone calls are infinitely more effective.

Sly
11-15-2005, 20:18
Writing letters in your own words is an efficient and effective way to influence Members of Congress. Since congressional offices receive only a handful of letters on most issues, each carries real power.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion. Why would a "handful of letters" carry more power than 20,000 emails?

Sly
11-15-2005, 20:31
Here's an email I got recently. IMO, politicians ARE starting to take notice to e-campaigns more and more. Sure it's easier, but how could they not?

This is just a quick "thank you" note, in case you haven't already seen the good news. Late last night, the House of Representatives dropped plans to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

TrueMajority members sent 40,000 messages to Congress over the weekend, insisting that at least this one last wild place be saved for purposes other than filling gas tanks. Despite heavy pressure from deep-pocketed industry lobbyists, your voices were heard.

weary
11-15-2005, 20:44
My two cents:
Whikle I think Wookie's suggestion that interested folks contact their legislators is a good one, I generally stay away from mass-mailings.
Having spent a lot of time working on various campaigns and for various politicians, in my experience, mass mailings that originated from one source (whether an advocacy organization, lobbying group, a church, university, or whatever) are generally ignored. Letters have a MUCH greater chance of of being read by an individual politician, and getting a response, if they are written and sent by individuals.
If you send along a letter composed by someone else, make sure you change it a bit, or add some personal stuff.
By all means let the recipient know that you are one of his/her constituents, and let them know you never miss an election.
You might be surprised, because sometimes they'll actually write you back.
Well Jack is certainly right. A hand written letter, signed by a real person, is probably the most effective way of persuading a politician. But these are busy people, and new times. New security rules delay by many days the receipt of a letter.

E-mails, much to the dislike of true conservatives like me and Jack, now rule the communications world. If you can write a letter in your own words disclosing a carefully reasoned position that is in some way related to the re-election prospects of your politician, you have a winner.

The vast majority of the rest of us will have to do with less. Next best is a literate, well-reasoned e-mail, that contains no hint that it comes from an organized group. Well back it up with a phone call, for a bit added push.

But in the real world, most of us will communicate with e-mails. Again. Use your words, if possible. But any communication is better than no communication.

I hesitate to say this because it is sure to be misunderstood, but the best compromise was that developed by Wingfoot in the Saddleback campaign of five years ago.

Wingfoot supplied a questionaire. One had to only answer the questions, and the program translated them into a letter that was mostly in your own words.
I've heard from several knowledgeable people since. They say this was technically both skillful and effective.

Unfortuatelhy, Wingfoot, for reasons of his own, has dropped this very useful technique. I've tried to interest him in our Maine land trust effort. So far I can't identify any responses from Trail Place -- and, for that matter, only a handful from White Blaze, though these things are difficult to quantify, since I know most of you only from trail names, and I'm not directly involved with the bookkeeping of donations.

But for whatever reason, most of the money that has come in from my many pleas comes from AT-L, for which I'll be forever grateful--well as long as I'm around for this universe. I'm a bit doubtful about the forever part. As Henry said on his death bed. "One world at a time."

Weary www.matlt.org

Sly
11-15-2005, 20:52
Well, I don't seeing my nitwit Republican representatives changing their ways over a hand-written letter from me so I'll just keep bombarding them with emails.:rolleyes:

DMA, 2000
11-15-2005, 21:30
If you want an example of how to stop an interstate highway, look at the example of the 710 in Los Angeles County. They've been trying to add about 5 miles to it for something like 40 years (5 miles that would make sense on a map and that a lot of people want). However, the city through which it would pass (South Pasadena) has fought and fought and fought that thing to a standstill. I suspect that my grandchildren will someday be writing about the ongoing struggle to stop the 710 extension, since neither side is likely to go away.

hammock engineer
11-15-2005, 22:15
I'm not from the area, so my letter probibly might not mean as much since I can not vote anyone out.

My 2 cents is that something should be orginized so that anyone who has anything to do with this is always meeting with someone on this issue. Even if it is only an aide. If every couple days they have to spend their time talking to people that did not want this, they might get the picture. If the people that lived in those districts would take one afternoon and go to an office and meet with someone they would not be able to forget this.

Just my thought. The more that the people in charge have to deal with people that don't like what they are doing, the harder it will for them to get this or anything else done. They can't ignore everyone forever.

bfitz
11-15-2005, 23:15
Also get people to write letters to the editors of local newspapers...lots of people read them.

Tha Wookie
11-16-2005, 01:31
Man, if we can all agree on something, then surely the Sherman Highway will never cook a single egg in the Georgia summer.

:D

mnof1000v
11-16-2005, 02:42
From a politician's standpoint, where there's smoke, there's fire. Not all people are active in political discussion, but everyone has some sort of opinion. Someone who's happy with the status quo isn't likely to do much talking about it trying to convince others how awesome things are. But someone who's unhappy... Well, they're going to make everyone hear about it. So one letter or one email is really equivalent to many more voices of discontent.

rhjanes
11-16-2005, 11:44
I've not seen an email or internet petition result in anything, unless you count clogged up internet!

EVERY letter we have written to congress-person, has been answered. Some times, we don't like the "position", most times it is a lot of double-speak, but somebody in DC read it, noted the position on the "what the people are telling you to do" paper and then mailed out a response.

weary
11-16-2005, 12:31
I've not seen an email or internet petition result in anything, unless you count clogged up internet!

EVERY letter we have written to congress-person, has been answered. Some times, we don't like the "position", most times it is a lot of double-speak, but somebody in DC read it, noted the position on the "what the people are telling you to do" paper and then mailed out a response.
That's been my experience also. My ultra-liberal son, who is a more avid letter writer than I am, has an almost weekly correspondent with Maine's two Republican Senators. Every letter either of us has written has been answered.

Though the replies do not always show evidence that my letters have been carefully read. Once when I told one of my Senators that she should oppose some intrusion on the trail in the south, her letter in response suggested she thought the intrusion involved the trail in Maine.

But regardless. Letters, emails, phone calls, personal contacts all help, as does involvement in the political process. There is nothing like a $50 campaign contribution, or showing up occasionally at political events where Senators and representatives will be, to put one on a first name basis with a member of Congress, or at least some of their staff people.

Weary

Almost There
11-16-2005, 13:34
I'm thinking I might just write some letters down here in Georgia and flex the proverbial muscle. I figure I teach over 200 students a year(block schedule), that being said I can stir students in a certain direction. That means theoretically if they remember what I tell them about issues and listen then that is a few hundred voters every few years. I can't brainwash them, nor would I want to, but right is right and if a senator or rep is doing things to better their self interests at the expense of people they're supposed to represent then I can certainly let my students decide where they want to run with the information. With many having family in the gulf coast region I can already tell you where they feel the money should go.

hammock engineer
11-16-2005, 13:36
I looked up this on the government site and came up with this link. It discribes it in the legal terms.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:12:./temp/~c1099o9DGQ::

I didn't realize at first this was a US Congress issue. So contacting your Congressman regardless of the state will help.

When contacting them you might want to mention it is H. R. 301 .

Rain Man
11-16-2005, 17:00
Though the replies do not always show evidence that my letters have been carefully read. ...

I've had the same experience with our two Republican Senators from Tennessee. Sad!

I have written my US Senators and Congressmen on more than one occasion. My (Democratic) Congressman (or, rather, his staff) seems to actually read the letters. My Senators don't seem to bother, some staff person just checks the general topic and hits some computer button, I suppose. Real public servants! NOT.

Rain Man

the goat
11-16-2005, 17:09
You said it!!!!

My Republican representatives never listen to anything I say either. Their reply letters are sooooo non-descript.
But every Democratic representative I've cooresponded with, replied with a well-structured and well thought out manuscript. They would even hand-deliver it to my door,.... and bring some food over to cook me dinner and serve it to me with a nice bottle of wine.....and call me on occasion to seek my opinion on pressing matters....;)

Get real, all politicians are the same!

Uncle Silly
11-16-2005, 17:40
I looked up this on the government site and came up with this link. It discribes it in the legal terms.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:12:./temp/~c1099o9DGQ (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:12:./temp/%7Ec1099o9DGQ)::

I didn't realize at first this was a US Congress issue. So contacting your Congressman regardless of the state will help.

When contacting them you might want to mention it is H. R. 301 .

This was a temporary generated link and will not work later. To read the text of this bill, go to http://thomas.loc.gov/ and search on "HR301" -- be sure to select "enter bill number" instead of the "enter keywords" option before entering the search.

Also, a related bill in the Senate is S.459.

halibut15
11-17-2005, 00:28
Is the proposed AT crossing point really Dicks Creek Gap or Unicoi Gap? I can see why Dicks Creek would be more "feasable," but the website on the Interstate Guide mentioned it taking over GA 17 from Toccoa and Clarkesville over to Hiawassee. That would put it straight over Unicoi Gap, and cause some major blasting and grading in the process. Wherever it could possibly go, the whole idea stinks. I live in Habersham County, GA (where GA 17 passes through just before entering the mtns.), and everyone here is up in arms about it. If this is supposed to boost the economy and help these so-called poor, backwards regions of the South, then why does no one want it at all? We seem to be doing just fine without an Interstate. Maybe someone out there needs to discover the fact that the whole world doesn't have to be one big suburb.

bfitz
11-17-2005, 04:10
Man, if we can all agree on something, then surely the Sherman Highway will never cook a single egg in the Georgia summer.

:D
Don't worry Wookie, I was just talking about how to get politicians to listen in general, not necessarily opposing the road. (although they've gotten along so far without it...if its unecessary and the local residents oppose it then they ought to scratch it, they can name a monument after the 3rd brigade or whatever...) Aw heck...if thems all the facts I guess I do agree...who'da thunk it!?

Tha Wookie
11-17-2005, 10:37
Don't worry Wookie, I was just talking about how to get politicians to listen in general, not necessarily opposing the road. (although they've gotten along so far without it...if its unecessary and the local residents oppose it then they ought to scratch it, they can name a monument after the 3rd brigade or whatever...) Aw heck...if thems all the facts I guess I do agree...who'da thunk it!?

I know, strange feeling isn't it?

Two Speed
11-17-2005, 11:30
. . . and cause some major blasting and grading in the process . . . The exact alignment doesn't reallly matter in that respect. Given the requirements of highway speed design, horizontal and vertical alignment, sight distances, etc any speed design highway in that kind of terrain is going to require some blasting and a massive amount of grading. I don't even want to think about the impact on local drainage and hydrology, much less the overall environmental effects.

orangebug
11-17-2005, 11:33
Think about Sam's Gap for a starter.