PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Question

71bronco
05-28-2015, 09:57
I have been a day hiker for awhile and I'm new to multi day trips, I hope to start this year after the basic gear list that you pack what are some comfort items you have packed or used? As in chairs or other items?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francis Sawyer
05-28-2015, 10:00
Small whiskey flask! And cigars!

illabelle
05-28-2015, 10:48
We carry a small inflatable seat cushion. Great for when you need to kneel on hard/rough surfaces. It's waterproof, so we can sit on a wet log without getting wet.

Depending on the length/difficulty of the trip, we might take a small frying pan. It widens the variety of foods we eat.

We never carry a chair. Too heavy. :)

Lyle
05-28-2015, 11:33
All the time:

Sit pad, just a short piece of an old closed cell pad. Keep it handy for breaks. Acts as a "door mat" at the tent entrance.
Insulated mug/cup to keep hot drinks hot while you enjoy them and relax.
Camp shoes

Winter:

Down booties, worth their weight in gold for added comfort, both in the bag and around camp when the temps get into the teens or lower.

Studlintsean
05-28-2015, 11:43
Camp shoes and Whiskey. Always.

Vegan Packer
05-28-2015, 12:17
I decided to carry a full sized sleeping pad that is wide enough to make me comfortable (Therm-a Rest Neo Air Trekker, 72 x 25), and I got a small pillow (Therm-a-Rest Compressible, Small). I want to get a good night's sleep and feel rested in the morning. I am willing to carry a few extra ounces for a few creature comforts.

Nooga
05-28-2015, 12:20
Inflatable pillow and closed cell sit pad.

BirdBrain
05-28-2015, 12:38
It is comfortable to carry less. I cannot sleep unless I have a pillow and an air mattress and a Big Agnes bag that keeps the air mattress under me. I swap the comfort of a lighter pack for the comfort of sleep.

Namtrag
06-02-2015, 15:10
I love my ultralight flask: a pint Fireball Whiskey bottle that I use every trip, just refill each trip with liquor of your choice.
Alite Monarch chair (love this, but am thinking of discontinuing due to weight)
Kindle
Occasionally, a cigar or two.

Starchild
06-02-2015, 15:24
CCF Sit pad (also my tent entrance)

Ti mug (really could use a lighter plastic or improvised cup, but I really like a real mug)

MuddyWaters
06-02-2015, 21:35
All the time:

Sit pad, just a short piece of an old closed cell pad. Keep it handy for breaks.

This.

I carry a small piece of ccf that goes under my lower legs at night rolled up on top of my pack.

sbhikes
06-04-2015, 18:29
I got an air mattress for my birthday. What decadence. Previously the most decadent things were my coffee cup and my 2nd sleeping quilt. I carry a 20 degree quilt and a 45 degree quilt. The 45 degree quilt is a JRB with the head hole so I use that instead of a jacket in camp and then when I sleep 20+45 means what, I can handle negative 5 degrees? I don't know, but it feels as warm as sleeping at home.

Walkintom
06-04-2015, 18:50
Items I consider creature comforts that sometimes go with me:

Helinox Chair One. At 2 pounds it's worth it if I have the space/weight to be able to carry it comfortably.
Inflatable Neck pillow. Not UL by any means; this ha a very large air valve for easy inflation/deflation and a fleece cover. But I can position it so that I'm comfy on my back, side or stomach and it's much nicer than a bag of clothes to rest my noggin on.
A section of my old Zlite pad. Makes for comfy sitting around inside the tent when packing/unpacking. Provides an instant rock cushion/dry sitting spot. 3rd pair of socks Cause sometimes both my regular pairs are wet and nasty.
Unplanned Food. Cause I want to eat 'all the stuff.' It's nice to have something that isn't designated for a specific meal or time frame that I can just wolf down without impacting my planned eating.
Booze. Beer, whiskey, whatever. A little snort after a long day does ease the pains of the aging body.

Another Kevin
06-04-2015, 19:14
Comfort items that sometimes go with me that nobody's mentioned yet.

Silnylon bucket and piece of Sham-Wow. Because there's nothing like a bath after a hot day's hiking. But I'm not going to bathe in a waterway.

Cone coffee filter. If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going.

Electronics. Camera, Trailpix (http://www.trail-pix.com/), smartphone, and a big USB charger that's about the size, shape and weight of a brick. PLB if I'm going off trail, or in winter, or solo in a remote place. Among the non-hiking things I do when hiking are photography, map making, and writing wordy travelogues with lots of pictures. The electronics support that.

Most of the things that others have mentioned, I don't bother with. I can sit on my sleeping pad. (I bring a sit pad on day trips.) I find that stuffing my sleeping bag stuff sack with whatever outerwear I'm not using does me for a pillow. I don't drink on the trail. I used to bring my whisky along, but I found that it almost always came home with me unopened. I don't usually bring 'camp shoes.' I might bring water shoes if there's a ford in my future.

Nobody's mentioned fishing gear yet? I'm not a fisherman, but I certainly encounter a lot of fisherfolk Out There.

kayak karl
06-04-2015, 20:55
i carry comfort food, like fried chicken, cheese steak, gyro......etc.