PDA

View Full Version : Poles or sticks?

susiegear
05-28-2015, 11:20
OK, I know this has been gone over a thousand times but i can't make a decision. I have a set of trekking poles that i have never used. Well, I tried to use them but......We were heading to do our first 10 day section hike on the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota and as soon as our shuttle driver took off we realized that we both left our poles in the trunk of the car over a hundred miles away. After reading all of the useful information that i had read on here i knew I wanted to use something. As we entered the trail near Finland, MN I found the perfect hiking stick. It appeared that someone else had used it and left it and was perfect for what I needed. i have since used this stick for three different section hikes totaling about 300 miles and have been very happy with it. I am leaving next Friday to do another section hike for ten days and am wondering if I should try the trekking poles. The reason i am thinking of switching is because April 8, 2016 i will be starting my thru attempt of the AT. i am trying to use this trip to the SHT as a bit of a run-down trip for all of my gear to make the right decision as to which gear to take on the thru next year. i am thinking about taking the trekking poles for this trip to see how I like them but am not really sure which to take. I really like using the stick as it is a little longer and works great on the descents and I can have one hand free to do other things like photos, take a drink, or have a snack. Is there a big advantage to using two poles vs. one? my stick has saved me more than once from falling and i feel that I was more in control by having one hand free. Does that sound crazy? Am i better to take the trekking poles? My thought was that this trip is only ten days and if I found i didnt like the poles i could mail them home and find another stick. What are your experiences? thoughts? Thanks!

HooKooDooKu
05-28-2015, 11:46
Two poles are going to be better than one at maintaining your balance and making sure you don't fall down. I could see where the poles sort of act like another set of feet for maintaining your balance and might even allow you to push yourself a little bit and hike faster. And of course most trekking poles collapse down to something about 2' long.

But trekking poles do have down sides compared to a long hiking stick:
1. There aren't any .L..O..N..G. trekking poles available. (I personally like a walking stick that is about the same height as me).
2. Gloves: In moderately cold weather they become a requirement. By contrast, with a walking stick, you can keep one hand in your pocket and alternate.

In the end, it's going to be a combination of personal choice... unless you have a particular problem that requires you to have to additional support and stability of using a pair of trekking poles.

Cobble
07-15-2015, 00:25
As one who hiked the whole AT with a walking stick (actually like 6-7 overall) I can recommend a good walking stick.

1. LONG as HKDK said above saved my rear dozens of times on stream crossings to have the extra reach plus on downhills climbing down boulders the reach is really useful.
2. CHEAP and EASY to replace. I broke sticks, snapped tips, etc. I just found another stick and kept rolling.
3. I liked resting one arm.
4. You look way cooler. Just sayin. Plus you can carve it, work on it with your knife. It ends up having more character to it as you polish it with sweat, blood, and muscle.

I ran into a few others who had hiking sticks too.

Fredt4
07-15-2015, 00:55
It's a question of hassle vs efficiency. Finding the right stick and replacing it when it breaks is a hassle. You may feel you have plenty of time to mess with that, it's your call. Trekking poles can be use in place of tent poles, you can't do that with sticks used as hiking poles. I liked the ability to collapse my poles and place them in my pack when they're unused.

Basically I find poles essential and value the various uses of quality poles. But as they say, HYOH.

rocketsocks
07-15-2015, 01:04
I swear i go back and forth on this one all the time in my mind. I don't like poles, but carry em cause I need somethin' They help with keeping the hands from swelling, but at times can be a real pain. They are expensive compared to a beauty heavy stick I have.....yup back and forth of this issue.

rocketsocks
07-15-2015, 01:09
...and at the expense of pissin' off the dog fans (if ya know ya know me, I love dogs too) My hikin' stick doubles as a great thumper for ornery packs of wild dogs. It happens folks. I give more weight to wild dogs over bears, snakes, axe murderer any day.

nsherry61
07-15-2015, 01:09
I'd argue that, too some extent is function vs. esthetics. For most all things, not all, just most, trekking poles do a better job. More stability, more speed, less weight, more flexible use, but, not as esthetically pleasing. Staffs do lots of what poles do, just not as well. So, you get to pick your priorities and use which ever one makes you happier. I do strongly recommend trying both before you choose. I use trekking poles most, but not exclusively.

rocketsocks
07-15-2015, 01:15
I'd argue that, too some extent is function vs. esthetics. For most all things, not all, just most, trekking poles do a better job. More stability, more speed, less weight, more flexible use, but, not as esthetically pleasing. Staffs do lots of what poles do, just not as well. So, you get to pick your priorities and use which ever one makes you happier. I do strongly recommend trying both before you choose. I use trekking poles most, but not exclusively.Yup, they are superior in some ways, no arguing that. Like you said, and like shoes, ya gotta pick what works for you.

Vegan Packer
07-15-2015, 02:05
On my recent hike in North Carolina, I left my tent--using my poles--set up to take my friend up to the top of Sam Knob Summit. Even though I hardly carried any weight, without my poles I had to work much harder to balance and walk. Honestly, I was shocked at how big of a difference it made to walk without any poles. I was extremely fatigued from all of the extra work, and I ended out waking up sore the day after. Meanwhile, my friend was not thrilled with his new single pole that he had elected to use on this hike outing.

Extrapolating, and this is only extrapolation, I surmise that two poles are best, one is better than none but not as good as two, and none is not good.

MuddyWaters
07-15-2015, 06:57
Use your stick if you like it.
Get poles when it doesnt work for you anymore
I like poles, theyve saved me from falls
But they arent a necessity

Moosling
07-15-2015, 07:35
I've kinda been debating this too, I've never hiked with trekking poles so I honestly don't have an opinion on which is better. I have always used a hiking stick, now keep in mind I am not a thru hiker and normally I don't really have a reason to backpack more than 12 mpd, so speed isn't really a factor(Thats why I'm considering trying trekking poles for longer trails.)

One thing I have done to cut down on weight is take an old composite hockey stick and cut whats left of the blade off and use it as a hiking staff, the sticks I use to play hockey only weigh 495 Grams at most with the blade cut off they are much less plus very durable my current hockey shaft I use is 13.8oz

mrcoffeect
07-15-2015, 09:23
If you use treking poles and break one or both. you have to carry them regardless to the next garbage can you find. Break a walking stick and you can just toss it in the bushes. But If i have had the stick awhile i'll give it a viking send off in the fire.

Another Kevin
07-15-2015, 11:14
Poles are knee savers for me. I can manage with a stick, but I don't feel as safe, it's heavier, and sooner or later I raise a blister on my thumb. Between the cork grips and correct use of the wrist loops on my poles, I don't have that problem with poles.

Since I switched to a pole-supported tent, I don't begrudge the weight of poles particularly, either.

Bear in mind that most of my hiking is short mileage on trails that are harder than the A-T, or even shorter mileage off trail. A thru hiker has other tradeoffs to make.

I still use my shillelagh in town when I've hurt my knee again. (Like now, dang it!)

Old Hiker
07-15-2015, 11:51
I have both, but I REALLY like my sticks. At 6’2”, 220 pounds (currently), I feel safer when I stumble and have to put my weight on one or both. Some posters have said their Al poles have done the same, but mine bend a bit.

I have a Scout staff and a natural wooden stick I found and really like. Both have rubber crutch tips on the end that work really well on wet rocks, etc. I was using one stick until I came across the wooden stick at the foot of a long, steep climb and decided to see if two would work better. Sure enough, they did for me.

One of my poles (the natural one) is shaved to a wedge shape at the top for self-defense.

I made a set of sticks from bamboo that are pretty good as well, but don’t have the heft of my wooden sticks.

The wrist straps on trekking poles are useful when the pole gets stuck or you lose your grip. On the other hand, I can drop my wooden sticks quickly if needed without trying to get out of any straps.

A couple of things from above are worth noting:
a. You can use poles for UL tents for uprights. I don’t – I bought the 8 ounce poles from LightHeart Gear.

b. Hockey sticks are a VERY light weight alternative. Did that for my Scouts one year I couldn’t make the annual AT 50 miler. Hearsay evidence stated they worked well. I may look into getting a couple more to play with.

c. Any man-made materials should be carried out if broken. Never thought of it, probably just did it.

6 of one – half dozen of the other – have to check them out under ACTUAL conditions to figure out what is right for YOU.

Good luck – happy hiking.

Traveler
07-15-2015, 17:52
I used to use a wonderful 6' straight shank of hickory about an inch and small change wide at the bottom to about 7/8" at the top, perfectly balanced. I could keep cadence with it as I walked on level ground by balancing it on two fingers parallel to the trail, it was great for claiming hills, though descending not as useful.

Then I left my 30s and entered the lovely 40s, inevitably leading to the "I can't believe I'm 50s". I tried trekking poles because I couldn't bring my wonderful stick with me. Age had everything to do with my decision. I found the poles allowed me to recover from stumbles that would have put me on my face, or other face, kept my balance far better crossing water, were a much better assistant going up hills, and provided exactly the use I needed for my poor, innocent, badly beaten up knees.

For me, the issue became age. Enjoy the stick while you can. One day you will find poles work better for you and you will probably make the switch. I am glad I did, I fully believe these poles have allowed me another decade or so of trail life I would not have been able to do otherwise.

rocketsocks
07-15-2015, 18:03
A two piece maple pool cue that unscrews in half seems pretty suited as well, also a good thumper, and weighted/ balanced nicely.

Cobble
07-24-2015, 00:31
On the AT you shouldn't need a thumper stick...but on less traveled trails/rural road walks I have had to deal with packs of dogs. Hiking stick did the job, while poles might have not. (Or maybe I need to learn a different form of martial arts?)

BrianLe
07-24-2015, 02:29
The only time I could favor a long stick would be creek hiking --- i.e., when you're literally walking in the water and/or crossing a whole lot. Otherwise, a pair of trekking poles has always seemed just clearly superior to me.

I don't mean that in an arrogant or patronizing "my way is right" manner, but rather just questioning "why else would I want a heavy stick?" (or a pair of them)

FWIW, I've fended off my share of dogs with trekking poles. Different technique, perhaps, but works fine for me.

I guess the best answer is try short trips with both.

Abatis1948
07-24-2015, 07:02
It is a personal choice. I tried poles and went back to my stick. They are no more of a hassle to replace than a pole. My stick has saved me several times from falling where a pole would have snapped de to up my weight. I do like having one hand free and I cut down my pole wear on the trail by 50%.

Traveler
07-24-2015, 20:12
On the AT you shouldn't need a thumper stick...but on less traveled trails/rural road walks I have had to deal with packs of dogs. Hiking stick did the job, while poles might have not. (Or maybe I need to learn a different form of martial arts?)

I carried a pretty solid hickory staff for many years and found when I switched to poles they provided a more robust defensive position than the staff. I typically will cross my poles in front of me as unleashed dogs approach. I have yet to have a dog challenge that or try to get inside the perimeter. While there is always a first time, the pole ends will be the best deterrent.