PDA

View Full Version : new- few questions

sosp
05-28-2015, 15:52
Hi all,

I'm not planning a thu hike, but possibly section hikes with my dog in the coming years. I hike locally with him almost every day and I'm an ecologist so I'm always out in the woods working. I love for my dog to accompany me. He is an avid hiker and camper and is getting close to the age where I think he can handle multi day hikes. I would love to take him with me since he is my best friend and we go everywhere together. He is very well trained and a GCG but is very large (140lbs). We pretty much only hike on leash because of the possibility of meeting unfriendly people/dogs but if he is off leash he's in a heel, not running free. He is protective of me (not aggressive, just a little pushy) with strange men. He's been trained to be tied to a tree and stay with my backpack. He has a good down stay and a good recall and he's been trained not to drink from random water, only from his bowl (I'm terrified of parasites!). I have a few questions.

1. For those of you that do longer hikes, how do you get dog food if you need more? What kind of dog food do you bring? I'm considering dehyrated for hiking because it might be lighter?

2. I see a lot of posts where people say they don't like dogs on the trail. Would the same apply to on-leash dogs? If my dog is on leash, should I expect strange dogs to run up to him? Or most people have good recalls? (I don't allow my dog to greet strange dogs typically, especially on leash because of the potential for bad reactions.)

3. If you want to let people pass by you is it hard to get off the trail? I typically always ask for people to pass me and have my dog sit until they do so. But I've read some sections are very narrow.

4. How much water did your dog consume in a day? Currently on a 3 hour hike my boy will drink 2 bottles at least. I want to make sure I carry enough water so he stays hydrated. Were there times when you and/or your dog ran low on water between water sources?

5. Do you use dog boots? I have winter dog boots to protect against ice melt chemicals but I've never used them for hiking because I think it might make him very hot. His pads should be pretty tough since we do hike frequently already. Thoughts?

6. How many people are super scared of big dogs? I don't want anyone to be afraid of my dog. I feel if I control him then he should not bother anyone. But I think some people are just so afraid of dogs that even passing by them may be scary? Is there anything I can do to decrease his scariness?

7. Curious to know if anyone has had a very active dog that's ended up hating longer hikes? I feel that he will like multi day hikes because he's very active already and very used to trails and hiking. He's been highly socialized from 8 weeks and typically handles new environments/situation well. He loves meeting strangers and playing with many different dogs. He's not skittish or shy. My dog trainer calls him a big ham! From this description do you guys think he would enjoy this type of trip? (I feel he would but please be honest! This will only be fun for me if its fun for him!)

8. The one thing about my boy is he doesn't tolerate the heat very well (and neither do I!). My favorite time to hike is fall/early spring. He is the most active and happy on cooler days. Are there any unique challenges for hiking at these times of the year? I feel that in the tent he will keep me pretty warm (he's like a furnace!) but I could be wrong.

I've seen a few people say, leave your dog at home. But this isn't an option for me. Either we both hike or neither of us hike. I have no idea what I'd even do with him if I left him at home, he goes everywhere with me. And my whole hike would be ruined because I'd just be missing him/worried about him the whole time. But I also want to make sure that he is respectful and doesn't bother others and he stays healthy and happy. Those are my top priorities!

Please feel free to answer just one question, some questions, or all the questions. Whatever you like! Or if you have any other input about something else I've said I appreciate it!

Thank you!

Studlintsean
05-28-2015, 16:23
I am not a long distance hiker so keep that in mind. I am a weekend and occasional 4-5 day hiker but I do hike with my dog. He is a bit older now so he doesn't come as often. Answers provided below.

Hi all,

I'm not planning a thu hike, but possibly section hikes with my dog in the coming years. I hike locally with him almost every day and I'm an ecologist so I'm always out in the woods working. I love for my dog to accompany me. He is an avid hiker and camper and is getting close to the age where I think he can handle multi day hikes. I would love to take him with me since he is my best friend and we go everywhere together. He is very well trained and a GCG but is very large (140lbs). We pretty much only hike on leash because of the possibility of meeting unfriendly people/dogs but if he is off leash he's in a heel, not running free. He is protective of me (not aggressive, just a little pushy) with strange men. He's been trained to be tied to a tree and stay with my backpack. He has a good down stay and a good recall and he's been trained not to drink from random water, only from his bowl (I'm terrified of parasites!). I have a few questions.

1. For those of you that do longer hikes, how do you get dog food if you need more? What kind of dog food do you bring? I'm considering dehyrated for hiking because it might be lighter?-
-I bring his normal dog food and also supplement with peanut butter and brawts. Even on a long hike you should have no problem finding dog food (high quality could be a different story but I cannot say with certainty)

2. I see a lot of posts where people say they don't like dogs on the trail. Would the same apply to on-leash dogs? If my dog is on leash, should I expect strange dogs to run up to him? Or most people have good recalls? (I don't allow my dog to greet strange dogs typically, especially on leash because of the potential for bad reactions.)
-Most people I have met on trail like dogs. Don't let the hater hear scare you. That said, I do not let me dog approach anyone or other dogs without permission. That means he is on a leash when people are around unless someone has made it clear they do not mind.

3. If you want to let people pass by you is it hard to get off the trail? I typically always ask for people to pass me and have my dog sit until they do so. But I've read some sections are very narrow.
-Easy to step to the side and put the dog in a sit.

4. How much water did your dog consume in a day? Currently on a 3 hour hike my boy will drink 2 bottles at least. I want to make sure I carry enough water so he stays hydrated. Were there times when you and/or your dog ran low on water between water sources
-Never had an issue with water. I fill my bladder and then fill his bowl. I keep out of sources excluding large creeks (downstream).

5. Do you use dog boots? I have winter dog boots to protect against ice melt chemicals but I've never used them for hiking because I think it might make him very hot. His pads should be pretty tough since we do hike frequently already. Thoughts?
-No I do not but my dogs walks, runs, plays daily and has toughened up his feet over the past 10 years.

6. How many people are super scared of big dogs? I don't want anyone to be afraid of my dog. I feel if I control him then he should not bother anyone. But I think some people are just so afraid of dogs that even passing by them may be scary? Is there anything I can do to decrease his scariness?
-I have an 85 lb Pit Bull and have no issues. I am aware of my surroundings and aware some people are afraid of dogs. I go out of my way to make sure I am a responsible dog owner.

7. Curious to know if anyone has had a very active dog that's ended up hating longer hikes? I feel that he will like multi day hikes because he's very active already and very used to trails and hiking. He's been highly socialized from 8 weeks and typically handles new environments/situation well. He loves meeting strangers and playing with many different dogs. He's not skittish or shy. My dog trainer calls him a big ham! From this description do you guys think he would enjoy this type of trip? (I feel he would but please be honest! This will only be fun for me if its fun for him!I
-I stick to shorter hikes. Would not do a long hike with my current dog

8. The one thing about my boy is he doesn't tolerate the heat very well (and neither do I!). My favorite time to hike is fall/early spring. He is the most active and happy on cooler days. Are there any unique challenges for hiking at these times of the year? I feel that in the tent he will keep me pretty warm (he's like a furnace!) but I could be wrong.

I've seen a few people say, leave your dog at home. But this isn't an option for me. Either we both hike or neither of us hike. I have no idea what I'd even do with him if I left him at home, he goes everywhere with me. And my whole hike would be ruined because I'd just be missing him/worried about him the whole time. But I also want to make sure that he is respectful and doesn't bother others and he stays healthy and happy. Those are my top priorities!-
-Blaze orange on the dog during hunting season.

Please feel free to answer just one question, some questions, or all the questions. Whatever you like! Or if you have any other input about something else I've said I appreciate it!

Thank you!

​Congrats on the CGC. My dog is certified as well.

illabelle
05-28-2015, 16:25
sosp,
I can tell from your post that you've been hanging around WB for a while, but :welcome anyway!

1. I don't hike with my dog, but if I did, I can't imagine carrying anything other than dry dog food.
2. Some people are grumpy no matter what you do. Personally, I like dogs to be leashed when I meet them on the trail.
3. Some places are quite narrow, but normally you see people coming from some distance and you'll have some options for stepping aside.
4. --
5. --
6. I'm not scared of big dogs (or little dogs) so long as they aren't aggressive.
7. --
8. --

4eyedbuzzard
05-28-2015, 16:31
Hi all,

I'm not planning a thu hike, but possibly section hikes with my dog in the coming years. I hike locally with him almost every day and I'm an ecologist so I'm always out in the woods working. I love for my dog to accompany me. He is an avid hiker and camper and is getting close to the age where I think he can handle multi day hikes. I would love to take him with me since he is my best friend and we go everywhere together. He is very well trained and a GCG but is very large (140lbs). We pretty much only hike on leash because of the possibility of meeting unfriendly people/dogs but if he is off leash he's in a heel, not running free. He is protective of me (not aggressive, just a little pushy) with strange men. He's been trained to be tied to a tree and stay with my backpack. He has a good down stay and a good recall and he's been trained not to drink from random water, only from his bowl (I'm terrified of parasites!). I have a few questions.There are some sections of the trail, like Great Smoky Mountain NP and Baxter State Park in ME where dogs (other than service animals) are prohibited. Dogs MUST be leashed at all times where the AT passes over National Park Lands or is under NPS direct management. And there are others, only some of which are found here http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/hiking-with-dogs

2. I see a lot of posts where people say they don't like dogs on the trail. Would the same apply to on-leash dogs? If my dog is on leash, should I expect strange dogs to run up to him? Or most people have good recalls? (I don't allow my dog to greet strange dogs typically, especially on leash because of the potential for bad reactions.) Some people just don't like dogs; some are scared of dogs in general, especially large ones; some like dogs, but not on the trail; pretty much no one likes them in shelters - ever, and especially so if they are wet or dirty. Unfortunately, many irresponsible owners allow their dogs to run free. You, and your dog will have to deal with chance meetups because it definitely will happen.

3. If you want to let people pass by you is it hard to get off the trail? I typically always ask for people to pass me and have my dog sit until they do so. But I've read some sections are very narrow.Generally there is room to allow others to pass. Many people will want to say hi and pet/pat your dog. Some will ask permission. Some will not. Be ready for this as well.

6. How many people are super scared of big dogs? I don't want anyone to be afraid of my dog. I feel if I control him then he should not bother anyone. But I think some people are just so afraid of dogs that even passing by them may be scary? Is there anything I can do to decrease his scariness?Big dogs obviously have the potential to do more damage if they attack, so yes, people will tend to be more scared/leery. Certain breeds invoke more fear in many people. And again, some people are just scared of any dog.

7. Curious to know if anyone has had a very active dog that's ended up hating longer hikes? I feel that he will like multi day hikes because he's very active already and very used to trails and hiking. He's been highly socialized from 8 weeks and typically handles new environments/situation well. He loves meeting strangers and playing with many different dogs. He's not skittish or shy. My dog trainer calls him a big ham! From this description do you guys think he would enjoy this type of trip? (I feel he would but please be honest! This will only be fun for me if its fun for him!)Yeah, both he and you should have a great time. Most people actually like dogs, especially well behaved/trained ones.

8. The one thing about my boy is he doesn't tolerate the heat very well (and neither do I!). My favorite time to hike is fall/early spring. He is the most active and happy on cooler days. Are there any unique challenges for hiking at these times of the year? I feel that in the tent he will keep me pretty warm (he's like a furnace!) but I could be wrong.Make sure he has a closed cell pad and train him to sleep on it. If it's cold, a quilt will work to help keep him warm (if needed). He'll likely need/want extra food both for hiking fuel and to stay warm.

I've seen a few people say, leave your dog at home. But this isn't an option for me. Either we both hike or neither of us hike. I have no idea what I'd even do with him if I left him at home, he goes everywhere with me. And my whole hike would be ruined because I'd just be missing him/worried about him the whole time. But I also want to make sure that he is respectful and doesn't bother others and he stays healthy and happy. Those are my top priorities!

Thank you!You sound like a very responsible dog owner and your concern for others is very apparent. You'll find that most people on the trail will welcome interacting with you and your dog. You will likely get more negative comments about dogs on the trail here than you will IRL. FYI, from my experience the biggest complaints are dogs in shelters stepping on people's gear, begging at shelters/campsites, unrestrained dogs running up to (and on) people, and dogs drinking from and running in water sources.

Water Rat
05-28-2015, 16:50
Welcome to White Blaze!:welcome

It sounds like you are off to a great start! The only thing left is to get your pooch out there and see how he feels about long distance hiking. :)

1. There are some interesting dehydrated dog foods out there, but I tend to stick with what works at home. I already know the dog food my two pooches consume works for them and will not cause any stomach issues. If you are planning on switching, I would start well in advance of your hike, and would then add some day hikes in to see if that food is enough for your dog when active. I do increase the amount I feed my dogs per meal when on longer hikes, but they are normally quite active and we have found a system that works for us.

For longer hikes, I would mail the food. I can’t trust that the local store would have the same dog food and while mail drops are a pain that is the price I am willing to pay to ensure that my dogs don’t have issues. I currently do not take my pooches on hikes that are far enough that I would have to mail their food. Those hikes are mine to do on my own.

2. The people who don’t like dogs on the trail tend to feel the same way even if dogs are well-behaved and on leash. I love dogs, but I do have a huge issue with people who allow their dogs to harass others, chase wildlife, or exhibit bad behaviors and then try and pass it off with “he/she never does that at home…”

Fortunately, my dogs are super socialized and love other animals and people. I keep them both on leash, but have had strange dogs run right up to them and then try and pick fights. My dogs want nothing to do with these dogs and are not fighters. In these instances, I have had to ask the other dog owner to please leash their dog so that we can move along. It’s these people who make it harder for the rest of us. I also am not a fan of their dog on the trail. What their dog does in its own yard is their business, but my feeling is that dogs should behave when on the trail. There isn’t much you can do about other dogs being out there. If this is a big concern, I would suggest hiking during the shoulder seasons when there are fewer people on the trail.

3. It would depend on which section of trail you are on, and what time of year you are hiking. On any trail, there are areas that are easier to pass than others. You do the best you can with what you have. If you encounter anyone on the trail (in a narrow portion), just verbalize your intentions. Most people are not uptight about it as long as they realize your dog is under control and you are doing your best to let them pass.

4. Every dog is different. One of my dogs drinks lots of water. The other dog drinks so little that she worries me sometimes. I would recommend carrying a water filter and sticking to sections of trail where water isn’t so much of an issue until you find out how much your pooch needs for longer hikes. If the weather is extra warm, I will make sure I have extra water so that my pooches have water.

Start with what you know your dog currently drinks on a hike, factor in the weather, and you should have the answer to that question.

5. Nope. My dogs refuse to wear boots. I do keep a set in my pack in case there is an injury along the way, but my dogs have paw pads that are already pretty well conditioned from their daily exercise. I would worry about putting boots on my dogs in the summer, as they lose heat through their feet. Carry some Musher’s Wax if you are worried about your dog’s feet. Start slow and see how he does on the trail. It also depends on what section of trail you are thinking of doing...

6. Is he willing to wear a clown nose? A dog wearing a clown nose would not strike me as being scary… There isn’t much you can do about people who are scared of dogs. You mention that you currently hike with your dog – What do you do when you encounter people on your hikes? Section hiking is just a series of day hikes. If you encounter someone who is scared, just try and reassure them that you are moving along and will be away from them just as soon as you can. The only thing you can do is minimize any situations that currently make your dog uncomfortable.

7. The only one who can answer this question is your dog. Start on short overnight hikes and see how he does…. Then gradually add days. He will tell you what he thinks of it all. I have two awesome dogs who love day hikes. They are sisters and are both very active. One of them would hike for as many days as I would let her, and the other tends to start to miss her dog bed after the 4th night. I know this, so I balance the hikes and my one dog will go stay with friends if the trip is going to be longer than 4 nights.

8. It sounds like hiking in the spring/later fall would be the perfect time to see how your dog does with longer hikes. There are fewer people on the trails during these seasons, the heat issue ebbs, and water tends to be a bit more easily found.

Good luck and may you and your buddy have many wonderful hiking experiences together!

Slo-go'en
05-28-2015, 17:08
I appreciate when a dog is on a leash and the owner has the dog sit and step off the side of the trail when someone comes by in the other direction. That is simply proper etiquette. However, few do this.

I was recently nearly knocked down by a big Lab as it ran by me and in fact knocked my trekking pole out of my hand. The dogs owners just laughed saying "he wants to chase the deer". I said that is exactly why he should be on a leash and under control at all times. I got a dirty look in response. That is why many of us don't like to see dogs on the trail. It is always these day or weekend hikers with dogs who are the most to blame for bad dog behavior. Thur hiker dogs are just too tired to do much more then lay down every chance they get.

As you noted, dogs don't do well in the heat, especially when forced to hike 15-20 miles a day for weeks or months on end. Stick to cooler weather and shortish trips and your doggie will be okay.

Vegan Packer
05-28-2015, 17:13
There are just people that don't like dogs, and you won't be able to make them into converts. Since your dog is well behaved, if I were in your position, I'd just try to be a good diplomat by doing what you've been doing already (giving a wide berth, sitting the dog and letting people pass, etc.), and then I'd just enjoy the ride.

Definitely, do the orange vest.

For food, I brought dry food and a collapsible bowl for our hikes, and there would be the "occasional" treat from my meals and snacks. Don't forget a few specialized dog first aid supplies, such as a nail trimmer and styptic for a bleeder nail.

bigcranky
05-28-2015, 21:04

Some hikers have great, well trained hiking dogs. I've enjoyed meeting them. Many hikers do not. Every time I go hiking I meet dogs off leash, and most of them bound right up, out of control of their owners. I doubt many of those owners even knows what a "recall" is. :)

While I love dogs, I'm not a big fan of meeting that second kind on the trail.

Sarcasm the elf
05-28-2015, 22:10
Just curious, what kind of dog do you have that is that large? I'm picturing either a mastiff or a newfie but I'd be interested to know.

I've been section hiking with dogs year round for a few years now. I'm not an expert, but here are my somewhat informed answers:

Two part answer
A) Don't believe the internet when it comes to people complaining about dogs on the trail. The majority of hikers are either glad to see my dog, or simply indifferent. As long as you have a well socialized dog that is well treated (hikers really do hate when they see a poorly treated dog on the trail) and as long as you don't let your dog become anyone else's problem then you will find most people are quite welcoming. Also, don't be surprised if some long distance hikers are overly affectionate with your dog, they often use them as surrogates for their dogs who are back at home. I camped with one guy who was two months into a SOBO thru hike and he missed his dogs so much that he nearly shed a tear when he was playing with my dog.
B) All that said, most of the valid complaints about dogs are solved through the use of a leash. It's really that simple. Especially keep them leashed in camp, keep them away other people's gear, away from anyone who is eating or cooking food and keep them out of the shelters. These things will eliminate probably 95% of the problems that people complain about.

I have exactly the same approach and it is quite easy to do most of the time. The small percentage of the trail that is narrow is just something you have to deal with. Usually you will see someone coming a bit ahead of time and you can walk to the widest space that is nearby. If at all possible put yourself between the dog and the passing hiker, this puts most people who are wary of dogs at ease.

4. How much water did your dog consume in a day? Currently on a 3 hour hike my boy will drink 2 bottles at least. I want to make sure I carry enough water so he stays hydrated. Were there times when you and/or your dog ran low on water between water sources? I hike with much smaller dogs than you do, so I can't really answer the quantity question. What I can say is that I have found it very useful to have a separate dog water bottle with a wide mouth and a flexible water dish, a round plastic Chinese-food takeout dish works great. Each time I give my dog water I fill her dish, let her drink what she wants and then pour the rest back into the bottle so that it doesn't go to waste.

6. How many people are super scared of big dogs? I don't want anyone to be afraid of my dog. I feel if I control him then he should not bother anyone. But I think some people are just so afraid of dogs that even passing by them may be scary? Is there anything I can do to decrease his scariness? Some people are just irrationally scared of dogs. If your dog is well trained, under control and not invading their space then you've done your part. I absolutely advocate common courtesy, but you're not going to please everyone and you have not duty to abide by every person's personal phobias
(If you do decide to abide by everyone's personal phobias, then please hike ahead of me and clear out all the bees and wasps on the trail, it would be greatly appreciated. :D)

7. Curious to know if anyone has had a very active dog that's ended up hating longer hikes? I feel that he will like multi day hikes because he's very active already and very used to trails and hiking. He's been highly socialized from 8 weeks and typically handles new environments/situation well. He loves meeting strangers and playing with many different dogs. He's not skittish or shy. My dog trainer calls him a big ham! From this description do you guys think he would enjoy this type of trip? (I feel he would but please be honest! This will only be fun for me if its fun for him!)
Honest answer is yes I've had that happen. My German Wirehaired Pointer loves going full-bore off leash for a couple hours each day in the wood's behind a friend's farm. She also enjoys a night or two on the trail, but when it comes to a full week, she kind of settles into the slog and it's clear that she's not having the greatest time. The funny thing is that even if we've been walking all day and she's exhausted, she will needs to be taken off leash for a few minutes and have us play fetch with her so that she can sprint around and stretch out her legs. On the opposite side of the spectrum, my last dog, a little 18lb terrier mix and my buddy's border collie both thrived on long trips, we'd have them out for over a week and they'd want to keep going as much as we did.

8. The one thing about my boy is he doesn't tolerate the heat very well (and neither do I!). My favorite time to hike is fall/early spring. He is the most active and happy on cooler days. Are there any unique challenges for hiking at these times of the year? I feel that in the tent he will keep me pretty warm (he's like a furnace!) but I could be wrong. Spring and fall are great times of year to hike. Do bring a piece of foam pad for him to sleep on to keep him off of the tent floor and bare ground. This is for insulation more than padding. I find a piece of a therma-rest z-lite folding foam pad works well. I also bring a light blanket if it's going to be relatively cold, an old mil-surplus poncho liner works great.

I've seen a few people say, leave your dog at home. Ignore these people. Some of their concerns and complaints are valid, but you seem to have all your bases covered between training, leash use and attitude.

Oh, yeah, and Welcome to WB and the Appalachian Trail! :welcome

At a friend's place in Seymour
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/6/5/p1020688_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=51904)

Sunrise on Mt. Race, about 3 miles north of the CT/MA border on the A.T.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/6/5/six_in_the_morning_on_mt._racemass_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43594)

December at Wiley Shelter in NY, yes my buddy's border collie actually enjoys winter camping and has been subzero with us.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/6/5/img_0096_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40338)

sosp
05-29-2015, 13:23
Thanks all so much for the responses so far! I was pretty nervous after posting but your advice puts me more at ease. I'm always conscious that since I have such a big boy that he needs to be super well behaved... the bigger dog usually gets blamed in any type of dog altercation, and I have the biggest dog 99.9% of the time! So I want him to be really well behaved. I know I can't change people's opinions about dogs if they are really steadfast, but I have helped some people warm up more to big dogs. My friend in grad school who was viciously attacked 3 times by large dogs and "hates animals" is now is completely at ease with my dog and actually will walk him or hold him if I have to go into a store. My trainer thinks that my boy will make a great therapy dog as he gets a little older. So I'm definitely always training and always looking for ways to make people like him more and be more at ease around him. Hence this post!

I also lament poorly behaved dogs and careless owners on a daily basis... Strange dogs some times run up to us on the trail with their owners either completely oblivious or screaming their recall to no effect. I always think they are very lucky my dog is friendly. I'm really embarrassed when my dog behaves poorly but I guess some people are immune to this feeling. For example, I would be absolutely mortified if Eli ever got someone's gear dirty or wet! Or if he knocked someone down! I can't even imagine it. Heck I get embarrassed when he sometimes pulls on his leash in public. I can't imagine if he did something that bad. ::dies of embarrassment::

Um in answer to a few things~

You mention that you currently hike with your dog – What do you do when you encounter people on your hikes?
I've actually only met one group of male hikers that didn't want to meet my dog.... I think because many people don't see such a big dog they mostly want to meet him and pet him. But we don't see many people on the trails because I try to avoid it, especially if they have dogs with them because the dogs are usually off leash and rush us. I'm already mobbed a lot in public with him so when I hike I prefer solitude. So if I hear someone coming I will either cut into the woods to avoid them or hook up a different trail until they pass and then go back after. I definitely need to practice passing people on the trail more!

Just curious, what kind of dog do you have that is that large?
Erm, he's a great dane. Which I intentionally didn't mention because of the stigmas associated with danes (i.e. they are lazy couch potatoes, they are stubborn, they are stupid, they are aggressive, whatever, I've heard them all) and/or the stigmas associated with pure bred dogs (inbred, unhealthy, etc). But I want to be honest about it, so I figured since someone directly asked then I'd answer. His parents are very healthy from caring, knowledgeable, and reputable breeders. His conformation is sound and his hips and heart are in great shape. He has a gastropexy to help prevent GDV and no history of it in his line, but I'm aware that on longer trips I will need to keep an eye on him and make sure we have a plan in case of emergency. Overall he's very healthy, active dog. But I know his breed will likely never allow us to have too long of a hike. I'll need to go at his pace and not wear him out.

Here you go~

sosp
05-29-2015, 13:24
Thanks all so much for the responses so far! I was pretty nervous after posting but your advice puts me more at ease. I'm always conscious that since I have such a big boy that he needs to be super well behaved... the bigger dog usually gets blamed in any type of dog altercation, and I have the biggest dog 99.9% of the time! So I want him to be really well behaved. I know I can't change people's opinions about dogs if they are really steadfast, but I have helped some people warm up more to big dogs. My friend in grad school who was viciously attacked 3 times by large dogs and "hates animals" is now is completely at ease with my dog and actually will walk him or hold him if I have to go into a store. My trainer thinks that my boy will make a great therapy dog as he gets a little older. So I'm definitely always training and always looking for ways to make people like him more and be more at ease around him. Hence this post!

I also lament poorly behaved dogs and careless owners on a daily basis... Strange dogs some times run up to us on the trail with their owners either completely oblivious or screaming their recall to no effect. I always think they are very lucky my dog is friendly. I'm really embarrassed when my dog behaves poorly but I guess some people are immune to this feeling. For example, I would be absolutely mortified if Eli ever got someone's gear dirty or wet! Or if he knocked someone down! I can't even imagine it. Heck I get embarrassed when he sometimes pulls on his leash in public. I can't imagine if he did something that bad. ::dies of embarrassment::

Um in answer to a few things~

You mention that you currently hike with your dog – What do you do when you encounter people on your hikes?
I've actually only met one group of male hikers that didn't want to meet my dog.... I think because many people don't see such a big dog they mostly want to meet him and pet him. But we don't see many people on the trails because I try to avoid it, especially if they have dogs with them because the dogs are usually off leash and rush us. I'm already mobbed a lot in public with him so when I hike I prefer solitude. So if I hear someone coming I will either cut into the woods to avoid them or hook up a different trail until they pass and then go back after. I definitely need to practice passing people on the trail more!

Just curious, what kind of dog do you have that is that large?
Erm, he's a great dane. Which I intentionally didn't mention because of the stigmas associated with danes (i.e. they are lazy couch potatoes, they are stubborn, they are stupid, they are aggressive, whatever, I've heard them all) and/or the stigmas associated with pure bred dogs (inbred, unhealthy, etc). But I want to be honest about it, so I figured since someone directly asked then I'd answer. His parents are very healthy from caring, knowledgeable, and reputable breeders. His conformation is sound and his hips and heart are in great shape. He has a gastropexy to help prevent GDV and no history of it in his line, but I'm aware that on longer trips I will need to keep an eye on him and make sure we have a plan in case of emergency. Overall he's very healthy, active dog. But I know his breed will likely never allow us to have too long of a hike. I'll need to go at his pace and not wear him out.

Here you go~

sosp
05-29-2015, 13:27
ack I double posted, I'm sorry!

Studlintsean
05-29-2015, 13:34
Great looking dog. I know all about the stereotypes having owned a Pit Bull and being very active with a Pit Bull rescue. It's not how dogs are raised, it's how dogs are managed is what I always say.

Vegan Packer
05-29-2015, 15:29
My trainer thinks that my boy will make a great therapy dog as he gets a little older.

Go for it! Slowpoke (that's his name) was a homeless street dog before I took him in from a rescue. That was over four years ago. Today, we volunteer for Canine Assisted Therapy (http://catdogs.org/). He loves it, it's good for him, and the people that we visit at an assisted living facility can't wait for his weekly visits.

Here he is, wearing his bandana indicating that he is a Certified Therapy Dog.

Water Rat
05-29-2015, 18:40
"I intentionally didn't mention because of the stigmas associated with danes (i.e. they are lazy couch potatoes, they are stubborn, they are stupid, they are aggressive, whatever, I've heard them all)"

You forgot the one where they think they are lap dogs! :D

One of my friends has a Great Dane and he thinks he is a small dog and can just curl up on my lap. ha ha Your boy is very handsome and it sounds like you are off to an amazing start with his trail training. You guys are going to do just fine - Start slow and build him up to the bigger hikes.

mitch
04-24-2016, 18:27
I like obedient dogs, sit, heel ,stay and NO are pretty ez to teach. My dog move left or right off trail as I direct. I love having him with me, I hope as long as he's willing I can, But like people some some untrained one's ruin it for the rest.34593

Traveler
04-25-2016, 07:56
Welcome to White Blaze!:welcome
2. The people who don’t like dogs on the trail tend to feel the same way even if dogs are well-behaved and on leash. I love dogs, but I do have a huge issue with people who allow their dogs to harass others, chase wildlife, or exhibit bad behaviors and then try and pass it off with “he/she never does that at home…”

I wanted to highlight #2, as I too hear the "it never does that at home" sentence a lot.

Thats because the dog is not at home. Dogs know their home environment well and will behave accordingly, usually in a very predictable fashion. They will bark at the mailman or garbage truck, but not necessarily at the neighbors next door. In a forest the environment changes from familiar into a far more complex one. There is scent evidence that define prey and predators around. The demeanor of a dog can easily change in the forest from being quite passive in the front yard to being "on guard", resulting in highly aggressive and protective behavior.

The scenario of someone walking a trail at the dog briskly, carrying sticks, with a had and sun glasses on is a good one to consider. The dog sees a potential threat, which may cause it to react differently than if it were in the living room and a stranger was allowed inside.
There are means of control one can use, a leash is probably the best for most people, however if one takes the time to voice train a dog well, it can be just as effective.

I don't bring this up as dissuasion of hiking with dogs, only to offer some insight to why we hear the "it doesn't do that at home" sentence.

DuneElliot
04-25-2016, 10:46
Hi all,

1. For those of you that do longer hikes, how do you get dog food if you need more? What kind of dog food do you bring? I'm considering dehyrated for hiking because it might be lighter?

There are some really good quality dry foods for intensive activity that you can get from most ranch/farm supply stores or for competing dogs (like those in the Iditarod) that have more calories and nutrients per pound than most store-available dog foods. I think you could mail it ahead or just research each town and figure out which ones carry the particular brand of dog food that you want to use

I'm exactly the same way. My dogs are always unleashed but always wearing e-collars...they are under complete control. I always have my eyes on them and recall them regularly, and always when I see others on the trail. I either hold them on the side of the trail or put them in a down-stay off the trail.

4. How much water did your dog consume in a day? Currently on a 3 hour hike my boy will drink 2 bottles at least. I want to make sure I carry enough water so he stays hydrated. Were there times when you and/or your dog ran low on water between water sources?

My dogs are working dogs (border collies). They have pretty tough paws because they are constantly on the go on dirt and gravel, hiking the mountains, climbing rocks etc

I can understand some people's fear factor with big dogs, but to me Great Danes are just big ole softies.

7. Curious to know if anyone has had a very active dog that's ended up hating longer hikes? I feel that he will like multi day hikes because he's very active already and very used to trails and hiking. He's been highly socialized from 8 weeks and typically handles new environments/situation well. He loves meeting strangers and playing with many different dogs. He's not skittish or shy. My dog trainer calls him a big ham! From this description do you guys think he would enjoy this type of trip? (I feel he would but please be honest! This will only be fun for me if its fun for him!

If he likes what you do know, I'm sure he'll like going for longer. I know my two LOVE camping trips with lots of miles to run each day

Thank you!

Except in town, and one trail through a ranch outside town, none of our trails require leashes. Most people are respectful and only run well-trained dogs off-leash, but I have had some encounters with unleashed dogs that weren't under full control. Nothing bad came of it, but it was still irritating.
The worst thing about off-leash dogs is when they chase wildlife...sure, my dogs have the instinct to want to chase them but they don't, because they have been trained that way (working cow dogs). If they happen to flush something before I've given the "leave it" command and want to start a chase I can shut them down immediately with a single command. These are all vital things if people have dogs off-leash in rural areas.

My male dog is very similar to your girl...he is very secretive about pooping and disappears into the underbrush to do his business...my female, not so much. I always remove any poop from the trail she leaves, but unfortunately I seem to be the only one.

On the subject of peanut butter in Post #2. Check the ingredients. Many companies are starting to add xylitol to their PB. It is TOXIC to dogs.