PDA

View Full Version : Section hike training

Mandalorian
05-28-2015, 16:49
I'm planning to hike the entire Mass. section in late August or early Sept.It's about 90 miles. I'd like to know if anyone has ideas as to how much and what kind of training I might . I' m already quite fit from x/c skiing and snowshoeing. Also I've periodically been hiking 4 to 8 miles per outing. Help?

Slo-go'en
05-28-2015, 17:18
Mass is really, really easy. If you fit and stay toned, shouldn't be a problem. Just keep doing what you've been doing to stay active.

q-tip
05-28-2015, 17:21
The program I have been using for several years in this book: "Climbing: Training for Peak Performance" by Clyde Soles. Excellent 90- day program.

Cookerhiker
05-28-2015, 20:37
Of the 5 New England states through which the AT passes, Massachusetts is the easiest. You still have some ups and downs of course but with the exercise you're currently getting from your hikes, I think you'll be fine.

hikernutcasey
05-31-2015, 12:18
As others have said the most important thing is just being active before your hike. You don't have to be able to run a marathon or anything but just some sort of exercise a few days a week and you will be fine.
One thing I would add that I tell people is to wear your pack with weight in it to prepare yourself. Nothing helps me more than getting used to having weight on my back.

Another Kevin
05-31-2015, 17:13
As others have said the most important thing is just being active before your hike. You don't have to be able to run a marathon or anything but just some sort of exercise a few days a week and you will be fine.
One thing I would add that I tell people is to wear your pack with weight in it to prepare yourself. Nothing helps me more than getting used to having weight on my back.

This.

I'm a clueless weekender, so I never really get my trail legs, but one thing that I've found really, really helps is getting out and walking a little bit - with a pack - every single day. In my case, it's because I walk to work, which is just over a mile each way. I carry a day pack with a bunch of computer gear, a few books, and a couple of water bottles, so that it outweighs the pack I'd take for a weekend, but still doesn't look too out of place in town. And - as I said - I do it every day. Whether it's hot sun, or rain, or snow, or blowing a gale. Whether it's -20F or +105F (both of which I've seen in the last year). I find that helps me with the mental game of hiking. When the weather gets marginal, so what, I can keep walking because I'm used to walking in marginal weather.

I'm still out of shape, and really, really slow. (I virtually never plan more than 8-12 mpd in terrain that's the least bit challenging.) But I can jump straight from my desk job to a trail without killing myself.

Spirit Walker
05-31-2015, 21:11
Walk every day. Carry a pack as much as you can. Do stairs as much as you can. Dayhike or backpack every weekend.

Pewkles
05-31-2015, 21:53
Mandalorian,
I am practicing this section prior to my daughter (a thru NOBO) hiker arriving here in a few weeks. Our plan is to do the 90 miles together. My biggest "fear" is the Cheshire to Greylock summit. I am doing it this week solo to get over my fear. I have put in 16 mile days with a 25 pound pack and feel good afterwards. Sounds like you are ready to tackle this; I feel as if I get over my ascent phobia I can do the whole segment. You should be fine.

Del Q
05-31-2015, 21:56
HILLS

What helps me the most is hiking up, down, and SIDE HILLS

Those are the muscles we need, with or without a pack

Side hills works great for ankles and all of those lower muscles