PDA

View Full Version : The North Country Trail - Let's talk!

BenOnAdventures
05-29-2015, 22:13
Hey everyone, I hope you all have had a great week so far! While relaxing on this fine evening I was researching large trails and came across the 4600 mile North Country Trail. I'd love to thru hike this. What do you all think of this big trail? Any advice? Any ideas on how to form a team to hike it? Any ideas on gear/food for it? Thanks so much, it'll be fun to talk about this with all of you!

Odd Man Out
05-29-2015, 22:54
I'm doing the 45 miles from Grand Marais to Munising MI in August (aka Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore). You can take the other 99%

Slosteppin
05-29-2015, 22:59
More than 5 people have thru-hiked the NCT solo - that compares with several hundred who compete the A each year. One member of our hiking club is hiking the trail now with a friend. Our hiking club is a Chapter of the North Country Trail Association. We maintain 100 miles of the NCT. The NCT s a work in progress, some parts are very well maintained and some need help. Do your research. The NCTA office can provide advice.

LeafChiefer
05-30-2015, 00:45
I'm planning on hiking the Florida Trail from Orlando North and then hitching or having family in GA pick me up and bring me to the AT. From there going to hike to the intersect of the AT and ADT. Then taking the ADT to the NCT. Will come back down south via either the CT or PCT. All solo. Will have some mail support but not much. Seems daunting but Id rather do it and not regret trying. If you decide to undertake I wish you good luck!! Will be starting a thread when I get started. Hope to be on the trail the end of June.

LeafChiefer
05-30-2015, 00:51
I'm planning on hiking the Florida Trail from Orlando North and then hitching or having family in GA pick me up and bring me to the AT. From there going to hike to the intersect of the AT and ADT. Then taking the ADT to the NCT. Will come back down south via either the CT or PCT. All solo. Will have some mail support but not much. Seems daunting but Id rather do it and not regret trying. If you decide to undertake I wish you good luck!! Will be starting a thread when I get started. Hope to be on the trail the end of June.
Worded that bad but you get the point lol. Also will be finishing the ADT when done with the NCT section.

BenOnAdventures
05-30-2015, 08:54
I love hearing from all of you, its great to talk hiking!

BenOnAdventures
05-30-2015, 08:55
That's so awesome!! Are you going to blog about it/do you have a blog?

LeafChiefer
05-30-2015, 11:50
That's so awesome!! Are you going to blog about it/do you have a blog?

I'm not familiar with blogging but will be updating via a thread I'm going to start on here as well as a journal. Will post a link here. Have all my gear just trying to finalize everything here and get certain things in place (get packages ready to be mailed, plan resupply stops) also probably going to get another pair of shoes or 2. Have 6 now. But will probably be hiking well over 18 months.

shelb
05-30-2015, 13:15
I'm doing the 45 miles from Grand Marais to Munising MI in August (aka Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore). You can take the other 99%

This is a GREAT hike!