PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Rock Loop, AR (Nov 11,12,13)

jeepcj258
11-15-2005, 10:42
The wife had veterans day off work so we took off to Arkansas. We left from Albert pike Friday around lunch and hiked up the Little Missouri Trail towards Athens-Big Fork. We hiked Athens-Big Fork on Saturday, those are some hills, I was not expected that type of hiking in Arkansas, it was great. Made it up and over the Athens-Big Fork by 2pm on Saturday and decided to try and hike to Winding Stairs to camp. When we got to Winding Stairs there were already quiet a few campsites occupied. Hallie and I had to "settle" for a campsite up the hill back in the trees a little ways (it was still a good campsite, we were just planning to camp a little closer to Winding Stairs). It was getting dark so we decided to make camp and thought that we would play around there on Sunday morning. (we were wrong)

We went to bed around 8pm (both of us were beat), around 8:30pm it began to rain, rain of biblical portions. This went on from 8:30pm until 3:30am. At 3:30am I had to step out of the tent and take care of business. As I am taking care of business, lightning lit up the sky and I began to realize that the 6inch deep creek that was 300 feet down slope from our tent when we went to bed was now a 20 feet deep creek that was 30ft from our tent. (At this point I was very thankful that we had to camp up the hill). Hallie and I stayed put until first light and which time we decided to pack and get the heck out of there. We were 4 miles from the end of the hike but the Little Missouri River was between us and the car. (There was no crossing it, unless you had a boat) We decided to hike out the way we came in and find a road crossing and try to hitch back to the car. As we are hiking out, we see sleeping bags in the river, and here stories of peoples tents and all of there gear being washed down stream. When we finally got back to Albert Pike there are cars underwater, and people were talking about having to be rescued out of the creek.

All in all a great weekend, with a little excitement at the end. We were never in any danger, but I was feeling bad for all of the people that had camped down by the creek and out on the sandbar.

I would like to thank Sgt. Rock and Solemates, I read the reviews and used them extensively in deciding to go hiking in Arkansas.

(Sorry for the spelling and grammar) I typed this in a bit of a hurry.

God Bless
Seth

The Solemates
11-15-2005, 10:52
glad to hear that you had such a great time. the water was relatively high when i did the trail as well and it was interesting navigating the many crossings. as i mentioned in my review earlier, i had to go swimming after one crossing and my dog didnt like the swift current at all. but, like you, we made it back in good spirits.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7329&highlight=eagle+rock+loop

jeepcj258
11-15-2005, 12:32
The Friday and Saturday the highest crossing was lower than knee deep. Sunday however, I would not cross it.

I am thinking about going back to Arkansas and maybe doing some of the Buffalo River Trail or the OHT. Arkansas was prettier than I had expected.

The Solemates
11-15-2005, 13:38
when you get ready to do the OHT we can highlight some good areas to go to if you want. i would strongly suggest not going in the summer.

jeepcj258
11-15-2005, 14:15
I am actually thinking about right after the first of the year right now. I will probably have 5 days (maybe a couple more) that I can go. I have heard that winter is the best time over there.

I am also thinking about going back over to North GA during this time. (Can't decide at this point).

Feel free to shed some light on the OHT for me!

God Bless
Seth

The Solemates
11-15-2005, 15:51
I am actually thinking about right after the first of the year right now. I will probably have 5 days (maybe a couple more) that I can go. I have heard that winter is the best time over there.

I am also thinking about going back over to North GA during this time. (Can't decide at this point).

Feel free to shed some light on the OHT for me!

God Bless
Seth

We have been twice in the summer and twice in the winter.

It gets deathly hot in the summer (>100F). And later in the summer the many creeks you cross are then dry. Not only is this bad for gathering water, but it is a shame you would not get to witness the beautiful limestone colored deep blue-green water.

The trail becomes overgrown and nearly impossible to follow in some places during the summer. At one point we never did find the trail and had to bushwhack almost a mile to a nearby forest service road and hike it for a few miles until we met up with the trail again.

The Ozarks are a haven for ticks and mosquitoes. I have hiked many places on this planet and never have I had to pull so many ticks off of me as on the OHT. Removing 20 ticks an hour is no exaggeration. It seems as if the middle portion of the trail was the worst. DO NOT bring a dog in these conditions.

HOWEVER, the Ozarks between October and March are excellent. In fact, we just got back from a trip several weeks ago. I posted a brief review on here that you saw...Cove Creek Trail.

I would say my favorite area would be the western most portion. I forget the name of the area now, but its something like White Rock Mtn or Rim or something. I wish I had the guidebook with me.

I have yet to do the Buffalo River trail, which is in the plans.

If you are going to N GA I would suggest anything on the AT, or the Coosa Backcountry Trail, which is a nice alternative. I also did a review of it.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9583

I dont really remember the logistics of any of the trail without the guidebook. We did a 70-mile section about 4 years ago, and have since done other parts. if you have any specific questions, i will be glad to help.

jeepcj258
11-15-2005, 18:07
Thanks for all of the information. I hiked part of the AT last year over Christmas from Springer to Hiwasee, and would like to go back and do all of Ga. But from every thing I am ready it might be best to hike AR in the winter so that may be were I will be heading.