PDA

View Full Version : Recommended tent

trippclark
11-15-2005, 14:40
Okay folks, I'd like some opinions. I am a hammock camper myself and have no desire ever to return to camping on the ground. My hiking partner, however, is a ground camper with no desire -- in spite of my encouragement -- to try hammock camping.

After some recent knee pain, I have convinced him to start using trekking poles . . . something that I have chosen to do for years. I am also trying to help him get his weight down (which also will no doubt help his knees). He is presently using a 4 lb Exponent Cobra (aka Inyo) tent. I think that he should consider one of the several tents or tarp tents that utilize trekking poles. Two that I have looked at for him are Henry Shires' Virga 2 or Squall 2. At 24 or 28 oz, plus 18.5 oz for trekking poles, he'd be looking at a weight of 42.5 - 46.5 oz for poles and tent, compared to 82.5 oz for his current tent and trekking poles. That is a 2.5 lb weight savings.

What other tent or tarp tent options would you recommend that incorporate trekking poles and also have a floor and bug netting? Since I have fallen in love with hammock camping I really have not kept up as well with the ground-based options. Any suggestions?

the goat
11-15-2005, 14:44
he should use a bivy....a pound or less.

stickat04
11-15-2005, 15:03
I used a lunar solo tarp tent on my thru, It worked well for me.

trippclark
11-15-2005, 15:04
he should use a bivy....a pound or less.

Good suggestion, but I suspect that he would have the same objection there that he does to the hammock. The hammock makes him feel claustrophobic, I suspect that a bivy would as well.

the goat
11-15-2005, 15:07
Good suggestion, but I suspect that he would have the same objection there that he does to the hammock. The hammock makes him feel claustrophobic, I suspect that a bivy would as well.

doesn't he use a sleeping bag?

trippclark
11-15-2005, 15:11
doesn't he use a sleeping bag?

Yep, but he uses it as a quilt not a bag . . . same reason.

the goat
11-15-2005, 15:17
Yep, but he uses it as a quilt not a bag . . . same reason.

.....ten-4

trippclark
11-15-2005, 15:20
.....ten-4

Yeah, seems odd to me . . . but I'm the guy sleeping soundly off the ground between two trees! I think with the Shires tarptents he'll keep similar square footage as he has now and shave 2.5 lbs. I am just looking for other similar options that I may not know of.

trippclark
11-15-2005, 16:05
I used a lunar solo tarp tent on my thru, It worked well for me.

Looks nice. Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what do you like best, and least about this tent?

Kerosene
11-15-2005, 16:16
You've got to take a look at the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36) in addition to the Virga 2.

vipahman
11-16-2005, 12:15
You've got to take a look at the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36) in addition to the Virga 2.
Like he said. I tested both and found the Lunar Solo Enhanced much better. It's floor is part of the tent structure unlike the Virga 2 where it seems like an afterthought (it is an option). Also the interior room is quite good on the Lunar. And it weighs 28 oz with the heavier floor and 6 Ti stakes compared to the 31 oz with the Virga 2.

Footslogger
11-16-2005, 12:19
[quote=vipahman]Like he said. I tested both and found the Lunar Solo Enhanced much better.
========================================
I second the motion for the Lunar Solo-e from Six Moon Designs. Don't get me wrong ...I really like the Henry Shires tents and in fact I own the original Squall model. The wife and I use that when we intend to tent together, especially in the winter months. But I believe the Lunar Solo-e to be hands down the best one-person tent on the market with regard to weight/cost/performance/ease of set-up.

'Slogger

mogilews
11-16-2005, 14:55
Anybody have experience with the Dancing Light Gear shelters? At 1.38 lbs they sure are tempting.

http://trailquest.net/dlgcultratarptent.html

The reviews on backpackgeartest.org were OK, but I noted that all the reviewers had some trouble getting it to pitch right.

(Personally, I've been using .2mm viscuene sheeting + fishing line as precipitation shelter on my week hikes, but I feel like I need a tent for a through hike, given the cold and the bugs)

chowhound
11-24-2005, 18:16
I've been using a Dancing Light Tacoma Tarp for a couple of year now and am really pleased with it. Following the instructions for pitching, I always get a good pitch now although there was a learning curve. I've been in several pretty good storms with it and had no problems. I have the 10' version and would recommend it for the extra space, especially if you are tall. My tarp has the bug mesh, and I wouldn't want one without it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-25-2005, 07:59
I'll leave the question of which tents work best and are lightest to those with more knowledge and experience. I will address the 'what works well for the claustrophobic?" question. I have severe claustrophobia due to a wonderful ex who locked me in the trunk of my car for several days. There is no way I could ever zip up a mummy bag, get into a bivy or use some of the hammock arrangements I've seen. I could tarp with a bug net happily, but the male dino insist on being in tent.

I've found that tents that allow me to leave the top part of a window or door unzipped without getting wet in rain work best for me. As your friend gets accustomed to being in a tent, he will likely find he doesn't need to leave the door or window cracked (stays much warmer when closed), but it is of great comfort to those with claustrophobia to know that the option is there if needed.

Another important point for me, the tent wall needs to be designed so it will not ever touch my face while I'm sleeping. This may not be true for your friend. Everyone has his or her own 'triggers' for phobia. Your friend knows what his 'triggers' are and he needs to find a tent that will work with for him.

justusryans
11-25-2005, 08:42
I'll leave the question of which tents work best and are lightest to those with more knowledge and experience. I will address the 'what works well for the claustrophobic?" question. I have severe claustrophobia due to a wonderful ex who locked me in the trunk of my car for several days. .

Boy, if I ever heard a reason to kick someone to the curb!!

Two Speed
11-25-2005, 08:47
Looks nice. Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what do you like best, and least about this tent?I'll butt in and amplify Footslogger's "weight/cost/performance/ease of set-up" comment by pointing out that the Lunar has the best vestibule I've seen on a tent in this weight range. I was using a Sierra Designs Lightyear, which I still consider a great tent, but was not happy with the lack of a vestibule. That's extremely important to me when it's raining and I want a sheltered spot to strip wet rain gear before getting into my shelter, if I need a sheltered spot to cook or stash my pack, etc. Much as I like the SD Lightyear I have to say that I could just about get my boots out of the rain and that was about it. Cooking involved leaning on my left arm and reaching out into the rain to deal with the stove, etc. Not the end of the world, but not the best, either.

The Lightyear may still be a viable option if you two plan a lot of cold weather camping. I don't view the lack of a good vestibule to be a problem in snow, just a pain in the fanny in rain, and a double wall tent is always warmer than a single wall tent like the Lunar. Of course the Lightyear ain't no Astrodome either, changing clothes inside that sucker is somewhat of an art, so it may pose other problems. Another factoid is that the Lightyear is just about twice the weight of the Lunar.

. . .Your friend knows what his 'triggers' are and he needs to find a tent that will work with for him.Not being claustrophobic I've never considered that, but it sure makes a lot of sense when I think about it for a minute. Depending on how tall your friend is the Lunar may spook him due to the fact that it's easy to wind up with your face pretty close to the tarp, particularly if your friend tends to thrash around at night like I do.

The other side of this coin is the fact that the Lunar is a very airy shelter due to bug netting walls; that airy feeling may be what he/she's looking for. Of course the Henry Shires products share this feature, so I wouldn't rule them out until you get a look at both lines.

One way to deal with this may be to go to Trail Days, the Gathering or one of the Rucks and check out the vendor's gear in person. I can't think of one vendor that I spoke with at last year's SoRuck that wasn't more than happy to talk to a prospective customer. The best part was that I got to talk to "the man" instead of an hourly employee; a LOT more commitment to satisfying the customer.

cvert
11-25-2005, 14:46
You should check out the new tarptent Rainbow. Tons of headroom from the looks of it and free-standing too.

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html