PDA

View Full Version : SOBO looking for clothing advice

brewyet
05-31-2015, 14:42
I plan on doing a SOBO starting early july (Maybe the 10th) I'm starting at Katahdin. I'm from Louisiana and I don't see many cold days. I'm wondering if I'm bringing enough clothing. Normally on cold days (maybe 40F's) I just wear my underarmour thermal shirt and I'm good. I'm bringing a 20F quilt and I usually sleep warm (I've taken a 30F bag down to 20F and I felt fine) so I think I'll be good and not need alot of sleeping clothes and I like dirt bagging. Any advice to things I might be missing please let me know

Tech T-Shirt
Long Sleeve Tech T-Shirt
Under Armour Cold Gear Thermal shirt
Outdoor Research Cathode Hoodie
Nothface Venture Rain jacket

Exofficio Convertible pants
2x Exofficio Underwear
Under Amour Cold gear Leggings
Running shorts
Frogg Toggs Rain Pants

2x defeet wooleator
Thick polypropylene sleep socks

Fleece Bennie
Fleece gloves
Sun hat

Slo-go'en
05-31-2015, 20:41
You should be fine.

brewyet
06-01-2015, 08:05
You should be fine. Thanks for the reply. I see a few views to the page, so I guess I'm doing good on the clothing.

fastfoxengineering
06-03-2015, 11:42
You look prepared. May even have too much for the beginning, but take it all and only send something home if your certain. You can usually ditch the rain paints. A bandana or buff is a welcome addition and remember not to grab hot pot handles with those fleece gloves! And all though many people tell you their worthless... I never go hiking without some polarized sunglasses. Functional and you look cool.

BirdBrain
06-03-2015, 16:09
I agree with the above advice. It can get chilly at night at high elevation in Maine. That can be avoided by sleeping at low elevation in Maine. You are carrying a warmer setup than I did when I went across Maine in July of 2013.

rickb
06-03-2015, 17:12
Fleece gloves? Some lightweight glove liners might be nice -- for the skeeters in camp as much as the occasional chill, but not sure about fleece.

I am am an outlier when it comes to socks, but I'd advocate a few extra pair. If your feet stay dry and unblistered, you screwed up by taking them. But if you do end up walking in the wet and your feet are screaming at you, they could be a god send. Not common wisdom anymore, but if I say that enough times I am bound to be right sometime.

Just make sure you have dry cloths for camp -- however you chose to do that.

Don't forget the headnet. Actually you might want to take two and sell one 30 miles in to finance a steak dinner in town with the profit.

brewyet
06-03-2015, 21:33
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to start with the fleece mittens and possumdown gloves from Zpacks. The only part of me that actually gets cold is my hands so I'm bringing a backup. Also I've never used mittens. I figure it won't be much extra weight and I can send them home if I feel I don't need them.

hellodosia
09-07-2015, 22:59
I plan on doing a SOBO starting early july (Maybe the 10th) I'm starting at Katahdin. I'm from Louisiana and I don't see many cold days. I'm wondering if I'm bringing enough clothing. Normally on cold days (maybe 40F's) I just wear my underarmour thermal shirt and I'm good. I'm bringing a 20F quilt and I usually sleep warm (I've taken a 30F bag down to 20F and I felt fine) so I think I'll be good and not need alot of sleeping clothes (http://www.dear-fashion.com/Sleepwear-Seires/) and I like dirt bagging. Any advice to things I might be missing please let me know

Tech T-Shirt
Long Sleeve Tech T-Shirt
Under Armour Cold Gear Thermal shirt
Outdoor Research Cathode Hoodie
Nothface Venture Rain jacket

Exofficio Convertible pants
2x Exofficio Underwear
Under Amour Cold gear Leggings
Running shorts
Frogg Toggs Rain Pants

2x defeet wooleator
Thick polypropylene sleep socks

Fleece Bennie
Fleece gloves
Sun hat

I agree with the above advice, I'm going to start with the fleece mittens and possumdown gloves from Zpacks.
The same as me.