PDA

View Full Version : fuel canister

REB
05-31-2015, 15:22
I don't see any information about how long a small 3.5 fuel canister will last me.
I will be boiling one liter of water (small jet boil pot) in the morning (coffee and oatmeal) and one liter in the evening.

Someone must have calculated this before. Any answers?

I always come back from my 3 day trips with a partially filled canister and I always reluctant to take it again in fear of running out.

bemental
05-31-2015, 15:52
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-34295.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-86210.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-55541.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-99343.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-109153.html

On that note, I pick up partials frequently at hiker boxes and use them. Even in the extreme situation of having two partials in my pack, it's piece of mind well worth the extra ounces.

From Jetboil:

HOW MUCH WATER DOES ONE CANISTER OF FUEL BURN?

A 100 gram canister of Jetpower fuel boils up to 10-12 liters of water. For trip planning, count on 10 liters per canister for some extra margin. If you're melting snow, assume 6 liters per canister. It never hurts to have an extra canister of fuel along, and it might make a big difference in comfort and safety. Please be advised, when in colder temperatures, it will take longer for your water to boil and thus your burner will use more fuel so adhere to the 6L rule.

JumpMaster Blaster
05-31-2015, 15:53
A 3.5 oz canister will give you roughly 60 minutes of burn time. I've seen this before. It usually takes 3-4 minutes to boil 2 cups of water in my Jetboil or MST stove. What I do when I buy a new canister is put a piece of masking tape on it. Whenever I boil water for coffee, dehydrated meal, etc, I mark "-5" on the canister with my pen. When I have 9-10 or so of these I know I'm getting very low, and will only take it out for an overnight or day hike. I use 5 minutes as a high-end time to boil water. One canister had 50 minutes used up, and when I was testing stoves & pots, I got right about 12 minutes of burn time off of it.

I don't cook meals with my stove, just boil water forcoffee or dehydrated meals. If you cook meals, I'd suggest getting an extra canister and time how long it takes to cook your average meal, and go from there. Since you're only bringing water to a boil and shutting it off, you can get a somewhat accurate idea of how much you're using.

Note: not all canisters have the same fuel ratio. A Snow Peak canister throws off a much more robust flame than a Jetboil canister.

BLUF: Mark each boil on your canister, or subtract from 60 minutes.

REB
05-31-2015, 17:07
Great information. I'm not sure I know how to use the search affectively.

bemental
05-31-2015, 17:25
Great information. I'm not sure I know how to use the search affectively.

Type this into Google:

site:whiteblaze.net searchterms

(replacing searchterms with what you want to search for; use quotation marks for "exact phrases")

MuddyWaters
05-31-2015, 19:03
I personally can get 20+ boils out of a small cannister. Im stingy with fuel, and use tight windscreens, dont boil any more than I need, etc.

Actually, if you have a jetboil you are less sensitive to conditions. You can do~ 0.15 oz per boil, so you can get 20+ boils or so.

simply boil a pot of water, weighing the fuel cannister before and after and see what you use.

CarlZ993
05-31-2015, 19:31
JetBoils & MSR Reactor/Windboiler stoves are pretty fuel efficient. I did a boil test w/ my JetBoil Ti Sol stove w/ a 110 gram Snow Peak canister. I was able to get 27, 2 Cup boils out of the canister. I averaged 0.14 oz or 4 grams of fuel per boil. I average 1:45 per boil. It burned 23:16 total before it was completely used up. The wind wasn't too bad during the test (front yard of my house in Oct). The efficiency will lessen on JetBoils if the wind is up. It won't effect the Reactors/Windboilers as much.

JumpMaster Blaster
05-31-2015, 19:43
I knew my fellow WB'ers would pop up with even more detailed info. Good info, I always err on the side of caution.

Singto
05-31-2015, 20:41
Another point to think about is that for hot drinks and many small breakfast type meal packets, it might not be necessary to bring to a boil. Just get the water up to the temp comfortable to consume and tasteful for the drink/food you're making and then turn off the flame. This is assuming you're not boiling for sterility.

Vegan Packer
06-01-2015, 01:58
Some smart person out there will develop an inline pressure gauge type of device for canisters. For example, you screw the pressure gauge into the canister, and then screw the stove connection screw into that, and it is a small button gauge that at least gives some kind of idea of remaining fuel.

As a scuba diver, I have a pressure gauge for my tanks, because it is more than just an inconvenience to suddenly find out that you are out of breathing gas when you are down 400 feet from the surface. I don't see why this hasn't been developed to take the guess work out of all of this for gas stoves.

Just remember to send me my royalty checks when you develop it. ;)

Starchild
06-01-2015, 07:26
Some smart person out there will develop an inline pressure gauge type of device for canisters.
It doesn't work like that as inside the canister is a mixture of liquid fuels under pressure by the compressed gas on top, the pressure inside the canister is a factor of the percentages of the fuel mix and the temperature, not the amount of liquid remaining. The percentage of the fuel components would be a factor of the temperature of the fuel as you were using it all along.

Also I don't know why people have so much trouble determining how much fuel is remaining, It seemed to be something easy for me to learn how far you can go with a couple of weeks backpacking with them by the shake test.

Turk6177
06-01-2015, 08:31
I get around 13 boils out of my small canister with an MSR pocket rocket. Conditions vary due to temperature, , altitude, etc.

Traveler
06-01-2015, 08:56
If you use a sharpie and make a mark on the bottom of the canister each time you use it, you should have a fairly accurate planning estimate by the time you finish your second canister.

The Splitter
06-01-2015, 11:54
Note: not all canisters have the same fuel ratio. A Snow Peak canister throws off a much more robust flame than a Jetboil canister.

This is true. I thought I was crazy at first but my Snowpeak stove will boil water faster and last longer using Snowpeak canisters. I noticed this when I first bought my Snowpeak stove, it obviously came with a Snowpeak canister, however when I bought replacements I bought whatever it was I could find (I think jetboil) and I noticed a significantly longer boil time. After reading on here I found out it's because the Snowpeak fuel blend uses a lot more propane. Now I try and look for Snowpeak canisters whenever I can, there just really hard to find lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk