PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for tent camping on the AT in North Carolina

transposon
05-31-2015, 22:31
I have decided to go on a last minute 6 day trip on the AT in North Carolina. I was looking at the smoky mountains, but this late in the game, I can't reserve shelters and they don't allow pitching tents.

Do you guys know of any segments of the AT in North Carolina where pitching a tent is allowed?

Thanks

ccartertn
05-31-2015, 22:50
I haven't done it but I'm thinking you could build a lot of different start and end points around Standing Indian.

ccartertn

Venchka
05-31-2015, 23:17
Start SOBO or finish NOBO at Elk Park, NC. Your miles per day will determine the southern end of the hike.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

MuddyWaters
06-01-2015, 00:06
Do you guys know of any segments of the AT in North Carolina where pitching a tent is allowed?

Thanks

Except for gsmnp, all of it. All of NC and TN is good too.
But, for mid june, roan mtn is pretty special with the rhododendron bloom.

bigcranky
06-01-2015, 06:36
One possibility is Erwin to US 19-E, crossing Beauty Spot, Roan Mountain, and all the wonderful bald mountains to the north. You can tent along this section.

Venchka
06-01-2015, 08:08
Except for gsmnp, all of it. All of NC and TN is good too.
But, for mid june, roan mtn is pretty special with the rhododendron bloom.

One possibility is Erwin to US 19-E, crossing Beauty Spot, Roan Mountain, and all the wonderful bald mountains to the north. You can tent along this section.

That makes three of us. Elk Park, NC is directly on US 19-E.

Wayne

MkBibble
06-01-2015, 12:05
I don't have a book or any numbers with me at the office, but it seems like Deep Gap to Fontana Dam would be about a week. If you start at Fontana and head south, you wont have to worry about stopping at the Smokies if you make better time.

misterfloyd
06-01-2015, 12:16
I gotta say the 50 miles from US19 to erwin was one of the best sections I have done so far. Roan, Beauty spot, all the balds in the area. Very cool.

There have been some sections that have been not as cool but that section has something for me IMHO.
Pitch a tent anywhere.
Floyd

bigcranky
06-01-2015, 13:12
I don't have a book or any numbers with me at the office, but it seems like Deep Gap to Fontana Dam would be about a week. If you start at Fontana and head south, you wont have to worry about stopping at the Smokies if you make better time.

Depends on the hiker :)

From Winding Stair Gap to Fontana is ~60 miles, and would be a great 6-day hike for most hikers. It's a fairly easy shuttle, too.

BARKEATER
06-04-2015, 12:21
I always liked from Erwin south to I-40, you can start an frish any were in there,

Venchka
06-04-2015, 18:32
I gotta say the 50 miles from US19 to erwin was one of the best sections I have done so far. Roan, Beauty spot, all the balds in the area. Very cool.

There have been some sections that have been not as cool but that section has something for me IMHO.
Pitch a tent anywhere.
Floyd
Four votes for US-19E to Erwin. Is that the best direction? Does it matter?
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on a great section of the AT.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Tennessee Viking
06-04-2015, 20:07
Except for fragile/rare flower areas, you can tent between BlyGap/Deep Gap @ Standing Indian to 19E @ Roan Mtn/Elk Park (except the Smokies).

If you are going sometime soon. Pick somewhere above 3500'.

transposon
06-04-2015, 23:39
So I have decided on going from us-19E or roan mountain area and working my way toward Erwin. Because it will be rainy and this is my first solo hike, I think I will be shootingfor only 7 mi/day.

Do you guys have any suggestions I should keep in mind when I embark this weekend?

Thanks for all of the replies.

transposon
06-04-2015, 23:39
So I have decided on going from us-19E or roan mountain area and working my way toward Erwin. Because it will be rainy and this is my first solo hike, I think I will be shootingfor only 7 mi/day.

Do you guys have any suggestions I should keep in mind when I embark this weekend?

Mr. Bumpy
06-05-2015, 10:53
That is low mileage in that section, even for a first timer, assuming good health. 10 mpd is what one can plan for there even a novice coming off the couch, and that will be a easy but sufficient challenge for a 6 day hike. Start at 19-E (but never, never, ever leave your car there) or you will miss several miles of balds. There is no resupply along that section so you will be starting with a heavy food load. It has been wet so water will not be a problem. You have picked a wonderful section for a first hike!

Traffic Jam
06-05-2015, 11:09

At 19E, you can park at Mountain Harbour Bed and Breakfast, (don't miss the breakfast!).

transposon
06-05-2015, 15:57
Is the terrain easy enough that we are talking 30 min/mi on average? Forgive me for any niece questions, I am not a very experienced hiker.

bigcranky
06-05-2015, 16:10
The terrain is in no way "easy", but most hikers in decent shape can maintain 2mph on average.

The first climb out of 19-E goes on for a long way.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-05-2015, 18:59
If you decide on 19E to Erwin:
Agreed with Big Cranky. Headed SOBO from 19E is an uphill that won't quit, ascending Big Hump. Everything else to Roan Mountain is Pretty much Downhill- but you'll have a quick, sharp ascent up Little Hump. The trail heading SOBO up Roan is the best graded footpath I've encountered, albeit covered in gravel and small rocks.

Take it from me- if the weather is good- make a stop at Grassy Ridge Bald. I didn't last year and kick myself for it every day, which is why I'm going back. The next two weeks will be prime rhodo bloom season. There are toilets, water, and a trash can at Carver's Gap before you ascend Roan. Make the side trip to the gardens if you can. Before you start to come down off Roan, top off water at the shelter- Ash Gap has a very unreliable stream.

I just hiked Iron Mountain Gap-Spivey Gap a couple weeks ago. DO stay on the summit of Unaka if at all possible- awesome awesome campsite. Top off water at Cherry Gap shelter since you won't get water until you're off Unaka. When you ascend the mountain & start seeing nothing but spruce & fir trees, you'll come to a fire ring- this is NOT the top- keep going a few minutes, and you'll enter a little open area looking towards a very dark, dense forest. That is the main campsite on top of Unaka. Walk about 30 paces in, look to your right and you'll see a fire ring. Camp there. There is AMPLE wood on the ground for a campfire. There's also a campsite jst downhill from the top on the left hand side of the trail.

When you descend Unaka, you'll have water at Deep Gap (gravel road with a couple boulders alongside), and Beauty Spot Gap.

Good campsites at Overmountain Shelter, Grassy Ridge Bald, Roan High Knob Shelter, Ash Gap, Cherry Gap Shelter, Unaka, Beauty Spot Gap, Deep Gap (buggy), and around Curley Maple Gap.

Aside from Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands, this is no doubt my favorite section of trail.

MuddyWaters
06-06-2015, 11:44
Look at the weather forecast for the trip , and choose nobo or sobo thru this area in terms of when you will have the best weather for the balds. Seriously, thats why you are there.

transposon
06-11-2015, 01:34
My trip got delayed due to bad weather. I will be going this weekend instead. I have the option of taking the US-19E to Erwin trip either SOBO or NOBO. Is there an advantage to taking one direction over the other for this trip?

Starchild
06-11-2015, 06:32
My trip got delayed due to bad weather. I will be going this weekend instead. I have the option of taking the US-19E to Erwin trip either SOBO or NOBO. Is there an advantage to taking one direction over the other for this trip?

The only advantage I can think of is ending or starting at Uncle Johny's hostel. Don't know if that means anything, but if leaving a car you might like it parked at the hostel rather then at a trailside lot.

bigcranky
06-11-2015, 08:20
I would hike northbound. Either way you start with a solid climb, but nobo is better graded I think. Also you save the best scenery for the last couple of days.

You can leave your car at the hostel at either end - Uncle Johnny's or Mountain Harbour. Don't just park at the trailhead at 19E.

transposon
06-11-2015, 09:11
I will be picked up and dropped off, so parking isn't an issue.

Is there any advantage to staying at designated campgrounds versus popping a tent wherever it looks good?

Thanks

bigcranky
06-11-2015, 09:59
There are no designated campgrounds. There are shelters, which usually have some okay tent sites nearby. In the guide you'll see campsites listed in various places, these are usually okay and sometimes great. You can throw down anywhere, but in many places there aren't good sites because of terrain, rocks, trees, etc.

illabelle
06-11-2015, 10:26

Weather forecast looks warm and muggy with a decent chance of afternoon thunderstorms everyday. You probably want to plan so you're not up on the balds when it's stormy. That may affect your choice.

We were in the area last weekend, and the rhododendrons between 19E and Carver's Gap were gorgeous! We were told they were peaking early, as in this week. Personally, I suggest going SOBO so you can see them now.