PDA

View Full Version : Daicey Pond Baxter And Katahdin Tips Please for June

jelloitsalive
06-01-2015, 00:21
Alright been waiting years for this trip. We will be staying at Daicey Pond this June what are some tips and things you wish you would have known, for Baxter and Katahdin via the Hunt Trail. Also I have some ?'s

Is there anywhere to pay for a shower?
Anywhere to Charge my camera? (I have a car charger)
How bad are the bugs in June?
What are temps/weather like?
Best place for a chance to see a moose?
Fishing Tips for Daicey Pond or any good fishing spots?
What Is the Scientific reseach area (can we explore it)
Where are the must see spots? (I take lots of pics and vids so any good areas for wildlife, Flowers, Stars Planets, Best place for Katahdin or Double top sunrise sunset)????

Thanks so Much

chiefduffy
06-01-2015, 06:47
Do not underestimate the blackflies in June. I recommend a bug jacket, this year a headnet is not enough in low lying areas. They seem to ignore 100 % deet. There is no power, running water, cell signal, or phones in Baxter SP. Moose are everwhere, you will see their droppings, but you may not see them. It has been warm and sunny and cold and rainy this spring, could be either way in June. Expect nights in the 40's, days 50s - 80s.

LoneStranger
06-01-2015, 06:58
No showers
No power
Quite likely. Come prepared for battle with DEET, treated clothing and a headnet
Be prepared for a range of weather though you can narrow it down a bit just prior to your trip. Within a short time it can go from hot and muggy to cool and windy with a rain storm in the middle.
I see more moose in the middle and north of the park than where you are going to be.
Pond fishing tends to be better in deeper water most places in BSP. Shore fishing is possible but canoe rentals are available in some areas.
The Scientific Forest Management Area is a test forest. Percival Baxter, the guy who bought up all the land and created the Park Authority, dedicated that portion of the land to forest research. They do some logging off of logging roads which are not open to the public but are crossed by some of the trails in that area. From where you are camping it is a long, slow drive to go look at some trees :)
Pretty much every where you look is worth seeing. Relax and enjoy your hike rather than worrying about creating some impossible schedule of places to see on one trip. I will say that the sunset from Chimney Pond is a personal favorite. The alpenglow never fails to leave me in awe of the mountain so spending the night there before climbing in the morning is a tradition I've followed for years despite my distaste for group campgrounds.

Be safe and have a great hike!

rickb
06-01-2015, 07:12
Sandy Stream Pond is a classic spot for a moose -- short walk from Roaring Brook Campgrounf on the other side of the park. Ask the ranger at the gate if it is close to a lock.

Car charger for phone.

We have had good views of the northern lights from one of the campgrounds in the middle of the park with a large field across from it-- memory fails which one that is.

peakbagger
06-01-2015, 08:01
Is there anywhere to pay for a shower? Nowhere in the park, possibly at one of the campgrounds that cater to the whitewater crown on the way back to Millinocket
Anywhere to Charge my camera? (I have a car charger)unless you have a solar charger you are out of luck unless you use your car.
How bad are the bugs in June?Really bad, to most people not from the area, they can be enough that it can ruin their visit, They aren't out when its raining so you bring raingear and go fishing. A full bug suit/covered skin is the solution for the days when the black flies are at their worst. The cabins at Daicey have screens, but the bugs still will on occasion get in.
What are temps/weather like? 35 degrees at night up to 80 in the day,
Best place for a chance to see a moose? All over, there are numerous small ponds all over the park with resident moose. The celebrity moose are at Sandy Stream Pond, a short walk from Roaring Brook , while you are there take the hike up South Turner, one of the better views for low effort in the park
Fishing Tips for Daicey Pond or any good fishing spots? I am not a fisherman but there are numerous ponds accessible by trails or old roads, the tote road that runs through the park runs parallel to the brooks and ponds. I don't think the state stocks anywhere as there is plenty of natural regeneration
What Is the Scientific reseach area (can we explore it) Its in the north end of the park, its really just very well managed sustainable forestry area. There are sections that may not be virgin forest that are managed so they will regenerate back into one. I think they have up to date information at the visitor center on where to visit recent efforts
Where are the must see spots? (I take lots of pics and vids so any good areas for wildlife, Flowers, Stars Planets, Best place for Katahdin or Double top sunrise sunset)????This can be a very disappointing thing if you are not willing to hike, the majority of the roads have tall trees right up to the edge of the road with little of no views. The park warns visitors of this. That being said there are certain photo spots that do have views.

- Sandy Stream pond- Moose and Katahdin (how can you go wrong)
- Tote Road north of Kidney, there are several nice upward shots of Double Top
- Sentinel Mountain- Nice views of the west side of Katahdin
- Chimney Pond - its a hike up an old logging road, there are two ponds with great views of the east side of Katahdin. There is no good way to fully photograph Chimney Pond and the surrounding headwall but its worth trying.
- South Branch Pond - If you have the time, its worth heading out of the park via the north gate and then heading south to Patten. South Branch Pond is an impressive place. When you are driving south outside the park there are some good long views of the park and the east side of the mountain
Daicey Pond in the early AM, the pond will be like glass some mornings and you can get the west view of Katahdin in the background with a mirrored image in the water

For Hikers I recommend heading up Helon Taylor trail in the dark in the morning, its the shortest distance to treeline and if you time it right, the sunrise is hard to beat as the headwalls of the ravines get lit up, sunrise on a clear day definitely lives up to photography's "golden hour"

The campground with large field is Nesowadnhunk (excuse the spelling). It has a mowed field and is 45 minute north of Daicey. If you have two cars or can beg a ride, do the doubletop north to south traverse. the views from the top are hard to beat of the rest of the park

A major caveat is that the park roads are narrow, barely 2 lanes wide and rough. The speed limits are about the fastest safe speed a passenger car would want to go, that means 25 mph at the fastest. A drive from Daicey to Roaring brook is possibly an hour and you may get to see a moose way to close like in your passenger compartment if you don't take it slow. Driving from the south end of the park is 1 to 2 hours. If you forget anything, you need to drive back half way to Millinocket and will get to subsidize the Maine economy at the store at the dam. Best case is its going to take you 2 hours round trip so plan ahead.

I will be at Daicey in late August, a bit hotter but far fewer bugs

Water Rat
06-01-2015, 10:48
To add to the above advice... The closest showers are at Abol Stream Campground. You can hike it from Daicey, but if you really want a shower, it is worth it. You can pay at the camp store - $5.00 for just a shower, but the showers are coin operated and you will need quarters in addition! You can also find The Northern Restaurant attached to the camp store. They will allow you to charge your electronics while you eat.

You can always take a solar camp shower with you and fill it with cold & heated (from your camp stove/fire) water and take a quick shower at your campsite. That will save you a lot of time.

I would suggest stopping and getting a map of Baxter State Park on your way through Millinocket. You will absolutely want protection from the bugs.

Enjoy - It's a gorgeous area!

peakbagger
06-01-2015, 12:03
Just a minor addition to water rat's post, folks gets confused by Abol Campground which is inside the park (which doesn't have showers, power or a restaurant) and Abol Bridge Campground which is outside the park http://abolcampground.com/NORTHERN.html which apparently does have showers, power and a restaurant according to the website.

By the AT its 6 miles From Daicey to Abol Bridge Campground a really nice walk and apparently great fishing with a couple of waterfalls thrown in, , if you want to drive, you have drive back to Togue Pond gatehouse, leave the park, take the correct unsigned intersection, turn onto the Golden Road, drive down the Golden Road to Abol Bridge. Its going be 1-1/2 hours round trip at the quickest. Please note car navs are somewhat infamous for trying to get you to drive down the Abol Beach Road a logging road that was abandoned 50 years ago and now is trail or route you down an abandoned road (State Road on google) that may be passable with a chain saw and a sense of humor

Its really easy to get confused on the roads outside the park they are mostly private and the car nav databases don't deal with them well., The BSP website warns folks about car navs but many ignore the warning and get really lost. In this case a Delorme Gazetteer of Maine it the only way to go.

Water Rat
06-01-2015, 12:28
Oops! Thanks, Peakbagger! I just noticed I wrote Abol Stream Campground. Absolutely meant to clarify by saying Abol Bridge. :)

bangorme
06-01-2015, 15:55
Deet works great on Maine's black flies. I like 15% formulas. I seen 'um so thick that the problem was them in my eyes, nose, mouth... and Deet always has worked everywhere else. Just pay special attention to boundary areas (like cuffs, collar, button gaps, hairline). Black flies love to crawl up those areas and bite unprotected skin.

The only reason I wouldn't go in the middle of black fly season is that it virtually forces me to wear a hat and head net, since I perspire the repellent off into my eyes and mouth when backpacking .

jelloitsalive
06-02-2015, 21:33
Gona order bug jacket and pants now Thanks for the tips

Do not underestimate the blackflies in June. I recommend a bug jacket, this year a headnet is not enough in low lying areas. They seem to ignore 100 % deet. There is no power, running water, cell signal, or phones in Baxter SP. Moose are everwhere, you will see their droppings, but you may not see them. It has been warm and sunny and cold and rainy this spring, could be either way in June. Expect nights in the 40's, days 50s - 80s.

jelloitsalive
06-02-2015, 21:35
Ill have to check chimney pond out it looks awesome on google earth cant imagine seeing it in person
No showers
No power
Quite likely. Come prepared for battle with DEET, treated clothing and a headnet
Be prepared for a range of weather though you can narrow it down a bit just prior to your trip. Within a short time it can go from hot and muggy to cool and windy with a rain storm in the middle.
I see more moose in the middle and north of the park than where you are going to be.
Pond fishing tends to be better in deeper water most places in BSP. Shore fishing is possible but canoe rentals are available in some areas.
The Scientific Forest Management Area is a test forest. Percival Baxter, the guy who bought up all the land and created the Park Authority, dedicated that portion of the land to forest research. They do some logging off of logging roads which are not open to the public but are crossed by some of the trails in that area. From where you are camping it is a long, slow drive to go look at some trees :)
Pretty much every where you look is worth seeing. Relax and enjoy your hike rather than worrying about creating some impossible schedule of places to see on one trip. I will say that the sunset from Chimney Pond is a personal favorite. The alpenglow never fails to leave me in awe of the mountain so spending the night there before climbing in the morning is a tradition I've followed for years despite my distaste for group campgrounds.

Be safe and have a great hike!

jelloitsalive
06-02-2015, 21:38
thanks ill check it out the most youtube videos off moose seem to be at sandy stream and Russel Pond
Sandy Stream Pond is a classic spot for a moose -- short walk from Roaring Brook Campgrounf on the other side of the park. Ask the ranger at the gate if it is close to a lock.

Car charger for phone.

We have had good views of the northern lights from one of the campgrounds in the middle of the park with a large field across from it-- memory fails which one that is.

jelloitsalive
06-02-2015, 21:40
OMG thank you so much for all of these tips that is so helpful...... I will deff check all of these out that I can.....
Is there anywhere to pay for a shower? Nowhere in the park, possibly at one of the campgrounds that cater to the whitewater crown on the way back to Millinocket
Anywhere to Charge my camera? (I have a car charger)unless you have a solar charger you are out of luck unless you use your car.
How bad are the bugs in June?Really bad, to most people not from the area, they can be enough that it can ruin their visit, They aren't out when its raining so you bring raingear and go fishing. A full bug suit/covered skin is the solution for the days when the black flies are at their worst. The cabins at Daicey have screens, but the bugs still will on occasion get in.
What are temps/weather like? 35 degrees at night up to 80 in the day,
Best place for a chance to see a moose? All over, there are numerous small ponds all over the park with resident moose. The celebrity moose are at Sandy Stream Pond, a short walk from Roaring Brook , while you are there take the hike up South Turner, one of the better views for low effort in the park
Fishing Tips for Daicey Pond or any good fishing spots? I am not a fisherman but there are numerous ponds accessible by trails or old roads, the tote road that runs through the park runs parallel to the brooks and ponds. I don't think the state stocks anywhere as there is plenty of natural regeneration
What Is the Scientific reseach area (can we explore it) Its in the north end of the park, its really just very well managed sustainable forestry area. There are sections that may not be virgin forest that are managed so they will regenerate back into one. I think they have up to date information at the visitor center on where to visit recent efforts
Where are the must see spots? (I take lots of pics and vids so any good areas for wildlife, Flowers, Stars Planets, Best place for Katahdin or Double top sunrise sunset)????This can be a very disappointing thing if you are not willing to hike, the majority of the roads have tall trees right up to the edge of the road with little of no views. The park warns visitors of this. That being said there are certain photo spots that do have views.

- Sandy Stream pond- Moose and Katahdin (how can you go wrong)
- Tote Road north of Kidney, there are several nice upward shots of Double Top
- Sentinel Mountain- Nice views of the west side of Katahdin
- Chimney Pond - its a hike up an old logging road, there are two ponds with great views of the east side of Katahdin. There is no good way to fully photograph Chimney Pond and the surrounding headwall but its worth trying.
- South Branch Pond - If you have the time, its worth heading out of the park via the north gate and then heading south to Patten. South Branch Pond is an impressive place. When you are driving south outside the park there are some good long views of the park and the east side of the mountain
Daicey Pond in the early AM, the pond will be like glass some mornings and you can get the west view of Katahdin in the background with a mirrored image in the water

For Hikers I recommend heading up Helon Taylor trail in the dark in the morning, its the shortest distance to treeline and if you time it right, the sunrise is hard to beat as the headwalls of the ravines get lit up, sunrise on a clear day definitely lives up to photography's "golden hour"

The campground with large field is Nesowadnhunk (excuse the spelling). It has a mowed field and is 45 minute north of Daicey. If you have two cars or can beg a ride, do the doubletop north to south traverse. the views from the top are hard to beat of the rest of the park

A major caveat is that the park roads are narrow, barely 2 lanes wide and rough. The speed limits are about the fastest safe speed a passenger car would want to go, that means 25 mph at the fastest. A drive from Daicey to Roaring brook is possibly an hour and you may get to see a moose way to close like in your passenger compartment if you don't take it slow. Driving from the south end of the park is 1 to 2 hours. If you forget anything, you need to drive back half way to Millinocket and will get to subsidize the Maine economy at the store at the dam. Best case is its going to take you 2 hours round trip so plan ahead.

I will be at Daicey in late August, a bit hotter but far fewer bugs

jelloitsalive
06-02-2015, 21:54
Does anyone know if there is any am/fm/ weather stations that you can pick up in Baxter......

egilbe
06-02-2015, 22:16
not much for radio stations up there. There is a sign while you are driving in from Millinocket that gives you a radio station to tune, to. All the ranger stations will have a 24 hour weather report posted up by 7AM, in most cases.

I don't think I've even heard a radio playing while I've been there, come to think of it.