PDA

View Full Version : Just curious ziplocks vs stuff sacks/ditty bags??

saltysack
06-01-2015, 16:36
I've been on the quest to drop weight without spending $ on unnecessary items...am I one of the few who uses a gallon ziplock with smaller ziplocks inside for small items suck as first aid, cordage, fire starter, meds, maps/guide bk etc. I keep this bag in the outer mesh pocket of my bag...ie ula circuit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dochartaigh
06-01-2015, 17:36
I was right along with you for the longest time. Used 3x smaller quart ziplock bags (for toiletries, 1st aid, and one for misc items like matches, fire starter, backup compass, backup water treatment, etc.) inside a gallon ziplock to keep everything consolidated in 1 bag. I also use a couple super small ziplock bags (bought a variety of sizes on Amazon for cheap) for things like pills/medicine, and bug spray (bug spray leaking is horrible!) and such.

BUT, I actually did spend the money on Zpacks cuben fiber bags instead. Saved an ounce over ziplock bags, and they're tons easier to get open and closed (the zip locks always liked to break or get dirt in them so they don't seal). Time will tell how they last in the long-run (people don't like cuben for things like dry bags for durability reasons but we'll see how these small cuben stuff sacks/bags do).

BirdBrain
06-01-2015, 17:43
In general, many hikers over separate gear. All small items not already in a system (like self contained cook system items) can be carried in one small cuben fiber bag. If it can't, it is my opinion that you have too many smalls or your smalls are too large. Again, just my opinion. This is not a right or wrong choice.

Tundracamper
06-01-2015, 17:50
I like using appropriately sized ziploc bags. It makes going through my checklist before a hike easier as I can see the contents of each bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dochartaigh
06-01-2015, 18:37
In general, many hikers over separate gear. All small items not already in a system (like self contained cook system items) can be carried in one small cuben fiber bag. If it can't, it is my opinion that you have too many smalls or your smalls are too large. Again, just my opinion. This is not a right or wrong choice.

I totally agree this can be the case with some. For me, I wanted a separate bag with toilet paper, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, and bugspray in it. Makes it easy to grab a small bag when I have to go to the bathroom, or do things like apply sunscreen/bugspray multiple times throughout a trip.

My 1st aid kit is also filled with tons of small items which would get roughed up if just thrown into a larger bag with everything (i.e. bandaids separating from the packaging, the ends of the small roll of leukotape sticking to everything else in that bag, pills getting crushed, etc.).

If everything was just thrown into one bag that better be one large see-through bag as well so I can actually find what I'm looking for without having to dump everything onto the ground...but everybody has their own system that works for them. With all these little items I'm a big fan of organization (within reason), while still keeping a nice ultralight baseweight.

BirdBrain
06-01-2015, 18:53
I totally agree this can be the case with some. For me, I wanted a separate bag with toilet paper, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, and bugspray in it. Makes it easy to grab a small bag when I have to go to the bathroom, or do things like apply sunscreen/bugspray multiple times throughout a trip.

My 1st aid kit is also filled with tons of small items which would get roughed up if just thrown into a larger bag with everything (i.e. bandaids separating from the packaging, the ends of the small roll of leukotape sticking to everything else in that bag, pills getting crushed, etc.).

If everything was just thrown into one bag that better be one large see-through bag as well so I can actually find what I'm looking for without having to dump everything onto the ground...but everybody has their own system that works for them. With all these little items I'm a big fan of organization (within reason), while still keeping a nice ultralight baseweight.

Agreed on much. Such things are highly personal. I keep some stuff in zipper pouches on my hip belt. TP and Purell are such items. Maps, compass, gorp, and snacks are other items. I never use bug dope or sun block. It is always an interesting dance between weight, functionality, and preference. I am never fully satisfied. Always searching these posts for ideas that will suit my preferences.

Slo-go'en
06-01-2015, 22:59
Modern hiking would not be possible without ziplocks. However, I don't see them as a substitute for what you'd put into a stuff sack. Like all those ziplocks with food in them. Or clothes.

Del Q
06-01-2015, 23:15
Zip locs fail, a lot, in my experience. Anything important I put into stuff sacks

+++ on Zpacks stuff sacks, not cheap but excellent.

Theosus
06-02-2015, 07:15
I've just used three of the roll top sacks from walmart. One is my hygiene bag (toilet paper, hand sanitizer, half bar of hotel soap, toothbrush and baking soda), one is my "water stuff" bag (sawyer inline, dirty water bag and water tube), and the other is for my rainfly. I used to have a few others, but have reduced my need for bags as I've trimmed my system down. If I take my steripen, I don't even need the water bag.

Traveler
06-02-2015, 07:32
Zip locs fail, a lot, in my experience. Anything important I put into stuff sacks

+++ on Zpacks stuff sacks, not cheap but excellent.

Ziplock failure has been my experience as well, usually at the precise moment you wanted the protection of the Ziplock. If you have things that absolutely cannot get wet use a waterproof stuff sack, the minor extra weight as insurance is worth it. Having moved from assorted colors and types of stuff sacks to a couple of water proof sacks only, the weight saving is a few ounces but the pack tends to be better loaded. Instead of having pockets of air space I can stuff gear into and get more use from the pack. The only thing I will use Ziplock bags for are walking snacks.

mak1277
06-02-2015, 14:31
I don't own any stuff sacks except for the one that came with my quilt.

I typically carry several ziplocks. One large for all my toiletries, small ones to hold maps, cellphone/camera, and my "wallet", and large ones to hold each day's food.

BARKEATER
06-06-2015, 14:42
I like small stuff sack my self, you can get some that are really lite, they last almost forever, when there dirty just but in the washer.