PDA

View Full Version : Overnight near Fontana Dam

mammacass
06-02-2015, 17:59
Good afternoon! My husband and I are going to do an overnight on the AT. The rest of my family will be staying at the Fontana Villages. We are trying to decide if we should hike North or South from Fontana. We have hiked parts of the AT on day hikes but this is my first overnight.

I am thinking we can do about 10 miles either way but this might be a little ambitious (We are from Florida so there will be major adjusting to mountains and altitude)

Thank you for any help!

Cassie

AO2134
06-02-2015, 18:09
Good afternoon! My husband and I are going to do an overnight on the AT. The rest of my family will be staying at the Fontana Villages. We are trying to decide if we should hike North or South from Fontana. We have hiked parts of the AT on day hikes but this is my first overnight.

I am thinking we can do about 10 miles either way but this might be a little ambitious (We are from Florida so there will be major adjusting to mountains and altitude)

Thank you for any help!

Cassie

North and you will enter the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It is an epic place, but you need to make reservations if you plan to stay the night. You will have a long climb out of Fontana Dam no matter which direction you go, but I think south would be easier.

I did NOC to Fontana as an overnight and remember that the last 12ish miles from Brown Fork Gap Shelter to Fontana was absolutely boring.

Going north would be more fun, but would require better planning and making necessary reservations at campsites. Going north will give you a view from Shuckstack Fire Tower which was pretty cool and you could decide to camp at Mollies Ridge Shelter, which is more or less 10 miles from Fontana Dam, but is a constant climb.

Most importantly, have a fun and safe trip.

map man
06-02-2015, 18:43
Since you ask, if it were me I would hike south and avoid having to make shelter reservations, carry my permit with me, etc., which is what happens when you stay in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. You do get occasional views back towards the lake when you hike south. Cable Gap Shelter is 5.5 miles, Brown Fork Gap Shelter is 11.6 miles, or tent somewhere in between.

MuddyWaters
06-02-2015, 21:25
Is this an "out -and-back" overnight hike? Or do you want a point-to-point hike?

Are you talking 10 miles each day, total, or in one direction?

Venchka
06-02-2015, 23:17
Alternative:
Have one of your family shuttle you south (if there's a convenient road crossing not too far away) and hike back to Fontana. You will cover all new trail with no backtracking.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

MkBibble
06-03-2015, 13:52
My two cents: Get a family member to drop you at Stecoah Gap, hike 5.6 miles to Cheoah Bald and enjoy an incredible sunset. Take a bottle of wine! The next day continue 13.5 miles south (largely downhill) and have somebody pick you up at the NOC. The NOC will be a 28 mile drive for them, and Stecoah Gap is about half of that.

illabelle
06-03-2015, 15:17
My two cents: Get a family member to drop you at Stecoah Gap, hike 5.6 miles to Cheoah Bald and enjoy an incredible sunset. Take a bottle of wine! The next day continue 13.5 miles south (largely downhill) and have somebody pick you up at the NOC. The NOC will be a 28 mile drive for them, and Stecoah Gap is about half of that.

^This gets my vote.

mammacass
06-03-2015, 16:39
Yes this is an out and back hike and I am hoping for 10 miles each day... 20 total.

mammacass
06-03-2015, 16:41
Thank you for your help and suggestions. We are trying to avid anyone driving us anywhere. We are floridians and mountain driving is scary! My husband is the olnly one comfortable driving the roads. This is why we chose Fontana.. This way the family can relax at the resort while we hike!

HooKooDooKu
06-03-2015, 16:54
A couple of notes if you want to hike NOBO from Fontana:
1. The road over the dam is closed. You will have to walk across the dam adding about 1 mile (compared to if you could drive up to the trail head at the park boundary).
2. There is no way to do only 10 miles per day and stay on the AT. You either go about 6 miles per day to reach BC#113 or about 11.5 miles per day to reach Mollies Ridge Shelter.
3. Because you are staying in the Great Smokies National Park, you will require a permit and reservations for your camp site. (https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1)

If you are not set on only hiking the AT and are willing to drive less than 10 miles down Fontana Road to the GSMNP Twenty Mile Ranger Station, you could make an overnight loop out of hiking Twenty-Mile/Long Hungary Ridge/Gregory Bald/Wolf Ridge trails with an overnight stay at BC#13 (Sheep Pen Gap) less then 1/2 mile from Gregory Bald. The view is worth it, where as hiking NOBO on the AT, the only view you will get is if you are brave enough to climb the Shuckstack fire tower located about 5 miles past Fontana Dam.

Traffic Jam
06-04-2015, 15:23
Does is have to be the AT? You might consider taking a boat shuttle across the lake to the Lakeshore Trail then hiking back to Fontana.

TNhiker
06-04-2015, 16:29
Does is have to be the AT? You might consider taking a boat shuttle across the lake to the Lakeshore Trail then hiking back to Fontana.

thats a great suggestion..............

and you'll see a part of the park that has alot of history and what not...

i would take it over to hazel creek and then hike back to fontana................

The Old Chief
06-04-2015, 21:17
The road over the dam is open. Drove over it several times last week.

The Old Chief
06-04-2015, 22:00
Get the permit on line and get the reservation for Mollies Ridge Shelter. It's 9.8 miles from the Southern boundary of the Smokies. To get to the boundary turn right after driving across Fontana Dam and drive until you reach the end of the road.

TNhiker
06-04-2015, 22:45
i would still be tempted to take the boat across over to hazel creek................but thats just me.........

a different way of seeing the park and making things interesting...........

Siestita
06-05-2015, 04:28
"We are Floridians and mountain driving is scary!"

By chance have you and your husband done much hiking previously in the Southern Appalachians, either or on the AT or elsewhere? If by chance this will be your first backpacking in mountainous terrain, you may find that doing an 11.5 mile day ascending north from Fontana to Mollies Ridge Shelter might be very challenging. Before actually hiking there, some flatlanders overestimate how many miles they can comfortably hike in a day on the AT.

mammacass
06-06-2015, 20:12

Yes I am set on the AT. It is a special connection for me. But thank you for the suggestion! Maybe in the future I will take this route.

mammacass
06-06-2015, 20:14
"We are Floridians and mountain driving is scary!"

By chance have you and your husband done much hiking previously in the Southern Appalachians, either or on the AT or elsewhere? If by chance this will be your first backpacking in mountainous terrain, you may find that doing an 11.5 mile day ascending north from Fontana to Mollies Ridge Shelter might be very challenging. Before actually hiking there, some flatlanders overestimate how many miles they can comfortably hike in a day on the AT.

Yes we have been on the AT Several times over the last few years. This is my first overnight in hopes of eventually doing the whole trail. I am aware of the challenges. We have hiked over several sections including Natahala and Blood Mountain---- just never overnight. I had originally wanted to do 20 miles a day since that is easy in Florida but have since lowered my goal! Thank you for the input... I really appreciate it!

mammacass
06-06-2015, 20:16
Get the permit on line and get the reservation for Mollies Ridge Shelter. It's 9.8 miles from the Southern boundary of the Smokies. To get to the boundary turn right after driving across Fontana Dam and drive until you reach the end of the road.

Thank you!!!

mammacass
06-06-2015, 20:22
A couple of notes if you want to hike NOBO from Fontana:
1. The road over the dam is closed. You will have to walk across the dam adding about 1 mile (compared to if you could drive up to the trail head at the park boundary).
2. There is no way to do only 10 miles per day and stay on the AT. You either go about 6 miles per day to reach BC#113 or about 11.5 miles per day to reach Mollies Ridge Shelter.
3. Because you are staying in the Great Smokies National Park, you will require a permit and reservations for your camp site. (https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1)

If you are not set on only hiking the AT and are willing to drive less than 10 miles down Fontana Road to the GSMNP Twenty Mile Ranger Station, you could make an overnight loop out of hiking Twenty-Mile/Long Hungary Ridge/Gregory Bald/Wolf Ridge trails with an overnight stay at BC#13 (Sheep Pen Gap) less then 1/2 mile from Gregory Bald. The view is worth it, where as hiking NOBO on the AT, the only view you will get is if you are brave enough to climb the Shuckstack fire tower located about 5 miles past Fontana Dam.

Thank you for the advice! I am really set on the AT! I guess I will have to see if I can make the 11.9!!!

Venchka
06-07-2015, 17:15
i would still be tempted to take the boat across over to hazel creek................but thats just me.........

a different way of seeing the park and making things interesting...........

Alas, Hazel Creek and vicinity is currently closed after a bear-hammock sleeper incident. Details in another thread here at Whiteblaze.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

TNhiker
06-07-2015, 17:28
Yeah.....I posted the above comment before today's news came down..

hopefully a little more details will come out about the hammock burrito...

BARKEATER
06-08-2015, 20:14
Be sure to have your rain gear with you we are havering a lot of rain here lately, an a little chilly for you Fl. people .

mammacass
06-08-2015, 22:25
Thank you. We just saw the weather report today. Not going to let it deter me though! Just hope for some Sun and no lightening.

FlyPaper
06-09-2015, 10:51
Yes we have been on the AT Several times over the last few years. This is my first overnight in hopes of eventually doing the whole trail. I am aware of the challenges. We have hiked over several sections including Natahala and Blood Mountain---- just never overnight. I had originally wanted to do 20 miles a day since that is easy in Florida but have since lowered my goal! Thank you for the input... I really appreciate it!

If you are hoping to finish the AT one day, then 20 miles one way really beats 10 miles out and back. There are inexpensive shuttles in the area that will do the driving. The cost of the shuttle is trivial compared to your travel time and cost from FL, not to mention vacation time. Personally, I would either go south and end at the NOC or go north and end at Fontana Dam (planning an appropriate starting point of course).

But if you're set on an out and back, I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless.

If you do 10 miles out and back into the park, be prepared for almost all uphill going in and almost all downhill coming out.

mammacass
06-09-2015, 16:09
Thanks you! We did decide that we didn't want to do an out and back. So we're going to start at noc and end at Fontana. I know it's going to be tough but at least I have a destination know that I can't stop. Lol!!! thank you for your advice. This hiking thing can be a little overwhelming when you're not used to it

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

MkBibble
06-09-2015, 16:18
Great! There are also a couple bailout options along the way if you t to walk all the way back to Fontana. Enjoy

Captain Bluebird
06-09-2015, 22:38
http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/smoky-mountains-bear-attack-ohio-teen-pulled-from-hammock-in-national-park You may want to check trail availability prior to driving up from Florida. Several trails and shelters are closed in the Fontana Dam area......

Captain Bluebird
06-09-2015, 22:40
http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/smoky-mountains-bear-attack-ohio-teen-pulled-from-hammock-in-national-park You may want to check trail availability prior to driving up from Florida. Several trails and shelters are closed in the Fontana Dam area...... Shoot, I just saw the remark in thread number 21. Sorry....

FlyPaper
06-11-2015, 13:06
http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/smoky-mountains-bear-attack-ohio-teen-pulled-from-hammock-in-national-park You may want to check trail availability prior to driving up from Florida. Several trails and shelters are closed in the Fontana Dam area......

I believe all closings are inside the GSMNP. The trail from NOC to Fontana Dam is outside the park and I think far enough away that I wouldn't be concerned about aggressive bears.

mammacass
06-15-2015, 19:17
I want to thank everyone for the information. We decided started our hike at stecoah and planned to hike to Fontana dam. Unfortunately about 5 miles in, my husband hurt his knee. We were able to stumble and limp out in the rain to yellow gap and caught a ride to hike inn where Nancy gave us a ride to our hotel. We had to cut our trip short. Since this is more my dream than his I'm not sure if I can convince him to try again but we will see...

Thank you again for all your help!

Happy hiking!

daddytwosticks
06-16-2015, 07:19
How was Jacob's Ladder? I've done all the sections from Springer to Fontana several times, EXCEPT that section from Stecoah to the marina because of that damn climb. Don't give up. Get out there and try another section. :)

jbwood5
06-16-2015, 07:24
I want to thank everyone for the information. We decided started our hike at stecoah and planned to hike to Fontana dam. Unfortunately about 5 miles in, my husband hurt his knee. We were able to stumble and limp out in the rain to yellow gap and caught a ride to hike inn where Nancy gave us a ride to our hotel. We had to cut our trip short. Since this is more my dream than his I'm not sure if I can convince him to try again but we will see...

Thank you again for all your help!

Happy hiking!

Jeff and Nancy are nice folks and former Floridians too. I love the artifacts collection. I hope your husbands knee is doing OK. You picked a pretty tough section there.

mammacass
06-17-2015, 18:25
How was Jacob's Ladder? I've done all the sections from Springer to Fontana several times, EXCEPT that section from Stecoah to the marina because of that damn climb. Don't give up. Get out there and try another section. :)
It is hard for sure. I think the climb out of natahala is worse though! My son and I went back the next day and started at yellow gap and finished at fontana dam. We finished that part in 4 hours flat!!! (Of course we didn't have heavy packs) I'm hoping when my husband's knee heels, he will be willing to try again!!