PDA

View Full Version : Midstate trail Massachusetts

takethisbread
06-02-2015, 19:03
Anyone hike this? I'm thinking of going out and banging this out soon . Not a lot of info out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burger
06-02-2015, 21:53
Go a little further west and hike the New England Scenic Trail instead (formerly known as the Metacomet-Monandnock trail). More scenic, better camping options, more real summits.

atraildreamer
06-05-2015, 17:11
Anyone hike this? I'm thinking of going out and banging this out soon . Not a lot of info out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can start a hike on the beach in RI and hike the Rhode Island North-South Trail, (going South to North, of course, :rolleyes:), and connect with the Massachusetts Mid State Trail.

If you are still in the mood for hiking, the the Mid State connects with the southern terminus of the New Hampshire Wapack Trail.

Off hand, I don't know the total mileage. If you send a stamped envelope to the North-South Trail website address, they will send you a free printout. The Mid State and Wapack Trails have guidebooks for sale. Google the trail names and the websites will pop-up.

psyculman
06-06-2015, 05:54
Water is not readily available for some distances, a good pump filter is necessary. I assume you would hike the MS with their guide book, available for sale on line. It is not entirely accurate, but may have been up dated by now. The last time I was on it, the trail was obscured by snooty home owners in some places near Spencer, and the way I needed to go to get back to the trail took some time to find. From Princeton up to the NH border is the best section, the middle of the state, not so much.