PDA

View Full Version : Camping from New York to Katahdin

Finlay1967
06-03-2015, 19:07
Hi there,

I arrive in New York on the 18th of June to do the second half of the AT and just wondering a few things. Firstly, how busy will the trail be at this time? I am wanting to stay away from big crouds and unsure as to how busy the trail will be at this time of year? Also, I am wondering if it is possible to travel the AT purely by wild camping along the way. I would like the experience of fully embracing nature so going to try and stay away from towns as much as possible but just wondering how commonplace wild camping is? I have read in some places that there are areas where it is not allowed but how strict and enforced are these rules?

Any help on these matters would be much appreciated :).

Slo-go'en
06-03-2015, 19:25
From NY to Vermont the trail is a narrow corridor and is often close to suburban back yards. For much of that area you will be restricted to designated camp sites. Anyway, that is were you will find the water, which is scarce on that part of the trail. You will be hiking near and in some cases through towns. The section from NY to Vermont is often called the deli to deli hike as you can often get a hot meal close to the trail.

Please use designated camp sites as much as possible. The AT gets a lot of use and impact needs to be concentrated in the designated areas. If you want wild with little or no restrictions on camping, go out west to the CDT or PCT.

It is impossible to tell how busy any section of trail will be. Weekends are often busy and camp groups of kids are common during the week in the summer.

rickb
06-03-2015, 20:11
Everything is relative.

Rest assured that the crowds will be nothing like you heard of down south.

Wildness is relative too. The bad news is that while you are required to stay at established backcountry sites in NY, CT and MA, more options open up as you move North. But even in those states most AT sites are a gazillion times better than front country campsites and all the associated madness, and the porqupines and bear and birds don't seem to care much.

There is no need to ever spend a night in town, of course. You can, but only if and when you want to.

Starting in VT you have a lot more legal options to just walk into the woods and pick a tent site. Keep in mind that while everyone uses the word "legal" there is virtually no enforcement anywhere on the AT. Best to play by the rules simply because it is the right thing to do.

That said, where you allowed to camp away from established sites you should in now way feel guilty for doing so-- just enjoy the opportunity. Here is a link to the ATCs summary of them:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at_fires_and_camping_rules_inventory_5_28_2014_web .pdf?sfvrsn=0

Hikemor
06-03-2015, 21:23
A thru-hikers guide or section guides (NY/NJ, MA/CT, NH/VT, ME) from ATC may be helpful for you for planning and on the trail.
www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?atcmem=0&catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1 (http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?atcmem=0&catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1)

Slo-go'en
06-03-2015, 23:09
The beauty of the AT is that it gives the illusion of being in the wilderness without actually being in the wilderness. Civilization is close to hand which makes logistics easy. Food is readily available at frequent intervals.

From time to time you will see places off the trail where others have obviously camped. If you come across such a site at the right time of day, go ahead and use it. It will likely be a dry camp, so be sure to have a full supply of water with you. Be real careful with fire. What is really frowned upon is creating a new site, with typically means clearing an area, trampling down plants and compressing the soil.

However, you will quickly discover that using the shelters makes life so, so much easier. There are places to set up a tent, a picnic table to sit and cook dinner out, a shelter to get out of the rain in, usually a reliable water source, a privy for your body wastes and of course, the companionship of other hikers. Typically a diverse and interesting group of people you would never meet in any other way. The shelter system is what really makes the AT so unique.

gsingjane
06-04-2015, 06:40
Welcome to the experience! The northern part of the AT is wonderful and you'll have a great time.

I did want to request that you abide by the rules in states like CT. Believe it or not, a lot of the AT does still pass over, or extremely close to, private land. If folks routinely break the rules, the landowners can revoke their permission for people to hike there, which will be bad for everyone... and one of the things a homeowner does NOT want to see, is people camping on their private property.

In terms of enforcement, during the heavy-use summer months, the Appalachian Mountain Club employs folks called "ridge-runners." They don't have any formal enforcement authority (they're not police) but they are out there to make sure people know and follow the rules against such things as fires, stealth camping, etc. Typically they are outdoors-loving young people, and they wouldn't be confrontational with you, but they will remind you of the rules and the reasons for them.

Especially in such a crowded part of the U.S. as the eastern seaboard, it's a miracle that the AT exists at all. Following the (sensible) rules is one way we can keep it going for everyone.

Jane

Starchild
06-04-2015, 07:03
In terms of enforcement, during the heavy-use summer months, the Appalachian Mountain Club employs folks called "ridge-runners." They don't have any formal enforcement authority (they're not police) but they are out there to make sure people know and follow the rules against such things as fires, stealth camping, etc. Typically they are outdoors-loving young people, and they wouldn't be confrontational with you, but they will remind you of the rules and the reasons for them....

Ridgerunners are educational, not enforcement as you state, however they do have radios and do report problems to enforcement if it seems needed (i.e. if education fails).