PDA

View Full Version : powdered beans

putts
06-03-2015, 19:46
A while back I read a post that mentioned powdered beans that are available at just about any long term resupply. Does anyone know which section of the store they are commonly found at. I've searched the bean area, and international foods at wall mart and other grocery stores and have not found them. The look on the stock person's face was priceless after I asked about them. "Not magic beans, powdered beans. It actually does exist."

Thanks!

MuddyWaters
06-03-2015, 21:13
A while back I read a post that mentioned powdered beans that are available at just about any long term resupply. Does anyone know which section of the store they are commonly found at. I've searched the bean area, and international foods at wall mart and other grocery stores and have not found them. The look on the stock person's face was priceless after I asked about them. "Not magic beans, powdered beans. It actually does exist."

Thanks!

Try asking for " instant refried beans"

I think you should be able to guess the 2 places in the store that might have them.

bigcranky
06-03-2015, 21:25

Yup, this should work most places.

Venchka
06-03-2015, 22:25
Hike in Texas. They're everywhere. I have a bag ready to try this weekend.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

putts
06-03-2015, 22:25

I think you should be able to guess the 2 places in the store that might have them.

Yeah, I tried the Mexican section and the bean section. My next guess is the laxative isle.

perrymk
06-04-2015, 05:51
Refried Beans (http://beprepared.com/mychoice-refried-beans-10-oz.html)

wannahike
06-04-2015, 05:58
deleted posted twice cause i don't know why ok user error

wannahike
06-04-2015, 06:05
try Natural Living center in Bangor and Fantastic Foods is one brand

WingedMonkey
06-04-2015, 15:05
For years (before I started making my own) I bought Mexicali Rose at Walmart.

I can never find them there now and it appears even online they no longer carry them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mexicali-Rose-Fat-Free-Refried-Beans-The-Original-World-s-Greatest-Instant-Home-Style-6-oz/10536111

jimyjam
06-04-2015, 15:27
I make my own...probably not what you're looking for but it is easy so I'd give it some thought.
Take a can of any style beans (black, red, refried, etc.) and put in food processor. Turn into smooth consistency. Put on parchment paper and dehydrate (can be done in oven or dehydrator). Then, after completely cooled, put back in food processor and turn into powder.
On the trail put desired amount into container or freezer bag, add potable water and stir. Add enough water for your desired consistency then wait 5-10 minutes to reconstitute. I put on flour shells and eat.
The same can be done with humus!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

moytoy
06-04-2015, 15:30
Grind your own in a food processor. You can flavor to your own taste and it's cheap. Google diy dried re-fried beans.

u.w.
06-04-2015, 19:18
I use a coffee bean grinder to make my "powdered beans". Works quite well.
I typically powder/grind: lentils, quinoa, pinto & black beans, and brown rice.
Buy the beans dry, fill coffee bean grinder, grind to talcum powder consistency, done & use.

u.w.

rocketsocks
06-04-2015, 19:44
I use a coffee bean grinder to make my "powdered beans". Works quite well.
I typically powder/grind: lentils, quinoa, pinto & black beans, and brown rice.
Buy the beans dry, fill coffee bean grinder, grind to talcum powder consistency, done & use.

u.w.
Are you grinding dehydrated beans or raw?

u.w.
06-04-2015, 23:46
Are you grinding dehydrated beans or raw?

raw. out of the bag, in to the grinder, ground to powder.
works good. packed full of goodness.
i add it to my freezer bag meals. how much depends on what kind of miles i'm planning on doing.
for my recent GA section (approach trail to winding stair) i added three heaping table spoons to each bag (which had a knorr rice side in it). worked really well for me.

u.w.

Hikes in Rain
06-06-2015, 08:37
I've done this, as well, using my grain grinder. It does really work well, almost like instant bean soup. They improve in flavor and consistency with a couple minutes of cooking (the more the better), but they work fine with just hot water.

wannahike
06-06-2015, 08:46
But you can really make yourself sick eating raw or under cooked beans. I don't think, at least how I freezer bag cook, that it would cook raw bean powder enough to negate the possible toxicity of the raw beans.

rocketsocks
06-06-2015, 09:34
raw. out of the bag, in to the grinder, ground to powder.
works good. packed full of goodness.
i add it to my freezer bag meals. how much depends on what kind of miles i'm planning on doing.
for my recent GA section (approach trail to winding stair) i added three heaping table spoons to each bag (which had a knorr rice side in it). worked really well for me.

u.w.

But you can really make yourself sick eating raw or under cooked beans. I don't think, at least how I freezer bag cook, that it would cook raw bean powder enough to negate the possible toxicity of the raw beans.I've read soaking and draining prior to cooking removes a chemical that cause the eater copious amounts of gas, but I didn't know they were toxic, can you elaborate? I like your idea, but need to know more.

On a side thought...read the other day that peanuts are actually legumes, I wonder if that's why they boil em...hmm.

Venchka
06-06-2015, 10:12
I thought everyone knew to soak their red beans for 24 hours before cooking. That is how Mrs. Wayne starts her legendary red beans.
I read the nutrition label on my package of instant refried pinto beans last night. Big mistake. The sodium content is off the charts. 440 mg, or 17% of daily intake, per serving. On the other hand, I wouldn't need to worry about salt replacement on the trail.

Wayne

MuddyWaters
06-06-2015, 11:01
People soak the beans so they cook faster the next day. Who has 5 hrs to cook beans?

That said, i dont. It takes quite a few hours on simmer. Thats ok, because it takes that for all the ham fat to break down too. Who wants lumps of fat in their beans.

wannahike
06-06-2015, 12:05
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1976082]I've read soaking and draining prior to cooking removes a chemical that cause the eater copious amounts of gas, but I didn't know they were toxic, can you elaborate? I like your idea, but need to know more.

Here is one article http://wildoats.com/blog-posts/undercooked-beans-dangerous/ yes, it's a store blog and not a medical site but you can google more info.

Venchka
06-06-2015, 12:17
People soak the beans so they cook faster the next day. Who has 5 hrs to cook beans?

That said, i dont. It takes quite a few hours on simmer. Thats ok, because it takes that for all the ham fat to break down too. Who wants lumps of fat in their beans.

Not sure if Mrs. Wayne simmers her red beans 5 hours, but I know they simmer for several hours. 3 maybe? Anyway, they are legendary.

Wayne

rocketsocks
06-06-2015, 12:23
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1976082]I've read soaking and draining prior to cooking removes a chemical that cause the eater copious amounts of gas, but I didn't know they were toxic, can you elaborate? I like your idea, but need to know more.

Here is one article http://wildoats.com/blog-posts/undercooked-beans-dangerous/ yes, it's a store blog and not a medical site but you can google more info.cool, thanks, will check that out.

rocketsocks
06-06-2015, 12:27
I thought everyone knew to soak their red beans for 24 hours before cooking. That is how Mrs. Wayne starts her legendary red beans.
I read the nutrition label on my package of instant refried pinto beans last night. Big mistake. The sodium content is off the charts. 440 mg, or 17% of daily intake, per serving. On the other hand, I wouldn't need to worry about salt replacement on the trail.

WayneThat's why I pretty much have to stop eating canned refrieds...doctors orders, but I can make my own, which aren't to bad all hopped up with the customary secret spices.

Not sure if Mrs. Wayne simmers her red beans 5 hours, but I know they simmer for several hours. 3 maybe? Anyway, they are legendary.

WayneLove me some red beans and rice, I'm sure they're wonderful.

Venchka
06-06-2015, 15:04
That's why I pretty much have to stop eating canned refrieds...doctors orders, but I can make my own, which aren't to bad all hopped up with the customary secret spices.

Love me some red beans and rice, I'm sure they're wonderful.

All of this talk has me hungry. Think I'll have some tonight. Thanks Rocketsocks!

Wayne

bemental
06-06-2015, 15:32
try Natural Living center in Bangor and Fantastic Foods is one brand

Yep, they've got it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/06/0543ca09929c1ddf99148f61ae7da111.jpg

rocketsocks
06-06-2015, 15:46
All of this talk has me hungry. Think I'll have some tonight. Thanks Rocketsocks!

WayneMe Too........

Vegan Packer
06-06-2015, 17:04
I've just made a bunch of batches of Laurie Marsh's Greek Red Pepper Dip, which is essentially a flavored hummus, from her book Another Fork in the Trail. Garbanzo bean based, then I dehydrated, and then I put it into the food processor, to create a powder. I rehydrated with very little cold water, and it came out great. Dehydrating and powdering is super easy.

juma
06-06-2015, 18:43
gettem on amazon - old el paso refried beans, pinto or black

billnchristy
06-06-2015, 19:09
We buy ours from the Mormons. The LDS canneries sell #10 cans (might be bags now) for super cheap, I want to say it was like $5 (we haven't been in a while).

Pretty good too and works out for us at home because I like a small amount and my wife likes more but a can is about 5x too much.

Rolex
06-07-2015, 04:23
I've started cooking mine with an electric pressure cooker. 30 minutes dry pinto beans from bag to bowl. 5 of that is cutting the ham meat off the hocks and throwing back in.

rocketsocks
06-07-2015, 05:19
I've started cooking mine with an electric pressure cooker. 30 minutes dry pinto beans from bag to bowl. 5 of that is cutting the ham meat off the hocks and throwing back in.man that probably sakes some Heet, hehe. But a seriously great idea.

Del Q
06-07-2015, 08:23
I have eaten dehydrated beans a few times on the AT, last hike I purchased them and mixed with powdered potatoes, dehydrated onions & tomatoes, mixed in some cayenne pepper and cumin. Mix with water, REALLY TASTY and easy dinner.

Will continue to refine this recipe.

P.S. I stopped cooking years ago on the AT, for breakfast I like instant oats, Nido, protein powder, some nuts and chopped up dried fruit. Mix with some water, easy, tasty and a solid way to begin the day

moytoy
06-07-2015, 09:18
But you can really make yourself sick eating raw or under cooked beans. I don't think, at least how I freezer bag cook, that it would cook raw bean powder enough to negate the possible toxicity of the raw beans.

I've gound raw dried pintos forever and I've never heard of this. I use it in on trail soups as a thickener mostly. But I google searched and found quite a bit of information that supports the 'lectin is bad for you theory'. Actually fact more than theory really. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1933252/

rocketsocks
06-07-2015, 10:15
I've gound raw dried pintos forever and I've never heard of this. I use it in on trail soups as a thickener mostly. But I google searched and found quite a bit of information that supports the 'lectin is bad for you theory'. Actually fact more than theory really. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1933252/
Beans Beans, a magical fruit
the longer you cook em, they're better for you
so cook em on high, the better you'll feel
and eat cooked beans at every meal

moytoy
06-07-2015, 10:34
Beans Beans, a magical fruit
the longer you cook em, they're better for you
so cook em on high, the better you'll feel
and eat cooked beans at every meal

+1 on that!

rocketsocks
06-07-2015, 11:06

Here is one article http://wildoats.com/blog-posts/undercooked-beans-dangerous/ yes, it's a store blog and not a medical site but you can google more info.One commenter wrote;

Hi Lydia- What a great question! You are right, I eat raw green beans all the time! There is no clear answer as to why some pea pods like a green bean or a sugar snap pea (which are legumes just like a peanut or a red kidney bean) don’t cause the illness that is associated with other raw or undercooked beans. The best research I can find is that it has to do with the type of lectin. Each type of bean has a different, specific type of lectin, and some are more toxic than others. Red kidney beans are the most toxic, stemming from the Phytohemagglutanin (the type of lectin) contained in the beans, and is the best known type as it regularly poisons people. It is also found at varying lower levels in other beans, like great northern beans or pinto beans. Peanuts have a different type of lectin altogether, as do green beans and sugar snap peas. Outside of kidney beans, which if eaten raw are toxic to everyone, there may also be some difference in tolerance of the lectins in different types of beans based on the individual. Some people may be more sensitive to the lectin in raw green beans, where cooked green beans might be fine. - See more at: http://wildoats.com/blog-posts/undercooked-beans-dangerous/#sthash.ymle6YJ1.dpuf

u.w.
06-07-2015, 12:37
I did a bit of reading on it as well. The quote you posted to Lydia does give a bit more insight. The main ones I grind are lentils and quinoa. I have not personally noticed any of the side effects mentioned, in numerous places, from eating these, raw ground, and added to my meals. Perhaps the grinding to powder and then hydrating in just off boiling water for ten to thirty minutes helps...
Seems cooking them fully, then dehydrating and powdering is a better and safer way. Also seems red kidney beans are far from the best choice.
I've learned some new stuff from this, and am glad it came up. Thanks,

u.w.

Venchka
06-07-2015, 13:01
Why anyone would eat Camellia Brand red kidney beans raw is just plain dumb. You must cook them with andouille, smoked sausage and Honey Baked ham and serve over Konrico Pecan rice. Had some last night and will finish them off during the race from Montreal.
Back on topic. I finally cooked up a batch of the Santa Fe instant refried beans yesterday. I found them bland yet salty as the label indicated. They need help in the flavor department. A work in progress.

Wayne

rocketsocks
06-07-2015, 13:09
I did a bit of reading on it as well. The quote you posted to Lydia does give a bit more insight. The main ones I grind are lentils and quinoa. I have not personally noticed any of the side effects mentioned, in numerous places, from eating these, raw ground, and added to my meals. Perhaps the grinding to powder and then hydrating in just off boiling water for ten to thirty minutes helps...
Seems cooking them fully, then dehydrating and powdering is a better and safer way. Also seems red kidney beans are far from the best choice.
I've learned some new stuff from this, and am glad it came up. Thanks,

u.w.
maybe you are not sensitive to that lectin, who knew, not me, learned lots here...it was a good thread.

Walkintom
06-07-2015, 14:32
Lots of good info here. Thanks for doing the research.

Venchka
06-07-2015, 17:24
And the eating. Good luck.
Wayne

Dogwood
06-07-2015, 20:54
Where u find the dehydrated refried bean mix in bulk(made from pinto beans) you'll often find in bulk dehydrated black beans(corn chowder, potato/leek, etc) that taste different sometimes labeled as black bean soup mix. Boxed Fantastic Foods and McDougalls containerized black bean soups I readily find on main stream large grocery store shelves. McDougalls is a little pricey for what u get since it's an organic complete ready to go prepackaged soup. I always need two of the 1.6 oz McDougalls Black Bean & Lime or Black Beans & Rice to make a dent in my hiker hunger but I can usually get at least 2 dinners, often 3 dinners, out of the 7 oz box, about $3 of Fantastic Foods Black Bean Soup Mix when mixed with some quinoa or cous cous and some green onion, fresh peppers, cheese,etc. BTW, all those I've mentioned are ready to go with short heating times ie; they are not simply dried beans! These you simply warm up with NO soak time or longer heating time required.

http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/BrandItemDetail.asp?itemname=Instant+Black+Beans&sku=7382512482