PDA

View Full Version : where to sleep near sunfish pond?

joflaig
11-15-2005, 20:44
I'm driving to NY and thought I'd hike up to Sunfish Pond from the Delaware Water Gap on the way. Anyone know where to sleep near there without having to stealth camp?

LIhikers
11-16-2005, 08:03
There's a backpacker camping site an easy walk south from Sunfish pond. It comes complete with privy and bear box and cable.

Toolshed
11-16-2005, 12:32
Beware, it is usually very busy-especially on weekends. It is a long walk N of Sunfish pond before you can legally camp again

Uncle Silly
11-16-2005, 16:36
the backpacker site is one option. another is the Mohican Outdoor Center, about 5 miles north of Sunfish Pond. that would be a pretty good 2-day hike from DWG or the Worthington St Forest parking lot (one day up, one day back). Mohican offers bunks in a cabin and tent sites, assuming they haven't closed for the season. 908-362-5670.

enjoy!

SGTdirtman
02-20-2006, 18:33
Beware, it is usually very busy-especially on weekends. It is a long walk N of Sunfish pond before you can legally camp again

I'm pretty certain you can camp anywhere from the start of the deleware water gap recreation area to about right where the northern end of the rattlesnake swamp trail interesects the AT, then theres about a mile distance you cant camp because millbrook rd. intersects the trail at that point... then you can camp freely again for about 2 miles untill your .5 miles south of blue moutain lakes road, and then when you hit buttermilk falls trail intersection you can gamp again all the way to the other end of the deleware water gap recreation area which is about another 2 mile stretch... I camp in these areas all the time.

the backpacker site near sunfish pond is just the only shelter untill you reach the brink road shelter which is about 21-22 miles north but there is camping allowed in that stretch.

I hike the NJ section at least once a year and really only stay at the shelters in the nothern section of jersey starting at gren anderson in high point. near sunrise moutain.

vipahman
02-20-2006, 19:17
Quoting from the AT guide, "Long distance hikers may camp along the AT in DWG NRA from about 1.0 mile south of Brink Rd to Millbrook-Blairstown Rd subject to the following conditions: Camping is permitted in areas that are more than 0.5 mile from road access or the boundaries of the national recreation area. No camping is permitted from 0.5 mile south of Blue Mountain Lakes Rd to 1.0 mile north of Crater Lake (Lake Success), where the Wallpack Township-Stillwater Township boundary crosses the trail (about 3.5 miles north of Blue Mountain Lakes Rd). Where camping is permitted, hikers must camp not more than 100 ft from the trail and at least 200 ft from other campsites. Camping is prohibited within 100 ft of any stream or water source, and any single campsite is limited to 10 persons."

SalParadise
02-20-2006, 21:58
The backpacker campsite was where I stayed, .3 miles before the pond. If you were considering it, the pond is a hard place to stealth, as the rangers are pretty diligent around the area, plus there's a couple humanized bears there that could give you problems if you were stealthing. I tried to stealth up there and had a couple bear problems and was again told about the problem animals from the ranger on duty.

The next day I ended up stopping at the Mohecan Outdoor Center and an employee there (who blamed thru-hikers for breaking into his house) said the campsite was a couple miles down the road. However I did stealth just into the woods past the MOC and found a spot.

Sly
02-20-2006, 23:34
The next day I ended up stopping at the Mohecan Outdoor Center and an employee there (who blamed thru-hikers for breaking into his house)

Even if it were true, I hope you corrected him. At that point they become criminals and no longer considered thru-hikers, regardless of if they finish the trail.

bartender
02-21-2006, 20:01
Just north of the Mohican Center is the Catfish fire tower, water up at the road to the center, awsome views.

neo
02-21-2006, 20:03
anywere i can stealthly hang my hammock:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9410&c=577

the goat
02-22-2006, 10:58
anywere i can stealthly hang my hammock:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9410&c=577

dude, that looks like a perfect tent spot:D

Just Jeff
02-22-2006, 11:06
Haha...it does, doesn't it? 'Cept it's a more comfortable spot if you're in a hammock!

But it looks like there's room for two - you put a tent there and Neo can hammock right next to you! You'll never even see him with the camo... :)

mbroadhe
02-24-2006, 00:23
Hammock Nazis :rolleyes: