PDA

View Full Version : Competed first section hike last week

r2davis65
06-05-2015, 07:50
I've been lurking on this forum for a while and appreciate the wealth of knowledge and tips for newbies. I completed my first section hike, Springer to Bly Gap (NC), last weekend. It turned out well, but I think back to someone's advice to "pack light and then pack lighter." Very good advice. I shipped home almost 10 lbs at Neels Gap and that made a huge difference the rest of the hike. Great forum.

life scout
06-05-2015, 07:54
We start that section in a couple weeks. How was the bugs and water? We have 8 days on trail. Well see how far we get.

r2davis65
06-05-2015, 08:56
I didn't have any trouble with bugs but I did spray my arms and legs with Deet everyday. Water was flowing in most of the listed resources. I was a little slow and it took me nine days, one day longer than planned. However, I had a late start and didn't leave Springer until 2:30 p.m. on my start day. Great hike and looking forward to the next leg. I did see two big timber rattlers stretched across the trail in the Tray Mountain area.3090630907

shelb
06-05-2015, 08:59
"pack light and then pack lighter." Very good advice.

That is the truth! You never fully appreciate it until you put in some good miles!

dbright
06-05-2015, 09:10
how heavy was your pack when you started.

r2davis65
06-05-2015, 09:59
how heavy was your pack when you started.

I put it on the scale at Neels Gap and it was 44 lbs without water and after depleting food from the pack for 3 days. First mistake was starting with a bearvault instead of hanging food. Rookie mistake.

life scout
06-05-2015, 17:03
I don't really believe snakes exist on the trails. I've been hiking around north Florida and Georgia quite a bit. I have never seen a snake on the trail. Many times I pass another hiker going the other way and get "watch out for the big snake just around the bend" when I get there nothing. Lol. I think it's a game of hide and seek and I'm "it" all the time. Lol. Maybe I'll get to see one this trip.

Thanks for the heads up on the bugs and water tbough.

life scout
06-05-2015, 17:06
Oh use this trip to thin out your pack. Leave behind the things you never used on the trail except first aid stuff. Evaluate everything else see where you can cut weight from your gear. Ultralight is not a challenge it's a blessing.

TREKMAN001
06-18-2015, 17:06
Congrats on you're first section hike!
What was it you unloaded at Neels Gap? Food, clothing, camp chair?
Inquiring newbies want to know!
Guy

ChuckP
06-18-2015, 18:33
Glad you had success on what is a pretty good sized first section hike. With regard to the snakes, I saw a 4 ft. timber rattler this past April a little north of Tray Mtn. while ascending Kelly Knob (perhaps you saw the same one?). I'd never seen a big snake on the AT prior to this but, a few weeks later, I saw a 3 ft. black rat snake a little south of Fontana Dam. You never know what you are going to see next.