PDA

View Full Version : Where to sleep near Sunfish Pond, NJ?

joflaig
11-15-2005, 20:46
I'm driving to NY and thought I'd hike up to Sunfish Pond from the Delaware Water Gap on the way. Anyone know where to sleep near there without having to stealth camp?

Ender
11-15-2005, 20:53
I'm driving to NY and thought I'd hike up to Sunfish Pond from the Delaware Water Gap on the way. Anyone know where to sleep near there without having to stealth camp?

There's a legit campground 1.3 miles south of the pond. I was there a couple years ago, and remember bear boxes but no water source. But I remember a source a bit south of the campground and of course at the pond. Hope this helps.

Just Jeff
11-15-2005, 21:45
I hiked up there in 2004 - I think you can camp trailside about a mile or two north of the pond without having to stealth. I just pulled off the trail, barely off the ridgeline, overlooking the whole valley - awesome!

I crawled out of my hammock the next morning and heard a bear snarling about 30 yards away. He was injured, and walked on down the ridgeline. I saw a mother and two cubs the day before, and about 6 deer each day...one time I got to within about 15 feet of them. You should have a great hike!

neo
11-15-2005, 22:41
i stealth camp anywere i want in my hammock,i leave no trace:cool: neo

LIhikers
11-16-2005, 07:58
Like Ender says, there is a backpacker camping site complete with privy, bear box and cable. It's an easy walk south of Sunfish pond.

Ender
11-16-2005, 10:05
Like Ender says, there is a backpacker camping site complete with privy, bear box and cable. It's an easy walk south of Sunfish pond.

Man, wish that was there when I was there... then I wouldn't have missed the Simpsons!! :jump

Just kidding. I know what you mean, it just struck me as funny:)

Mouse
11-16-2005, 11:25
Wow, cable on the AT! :banana

Just Jeff
11-16-2005, 12:01
I'm waiting for DSL hookups in the blazes.

The Solemates
11-16-2005, 12:20
mohican outdoor center is only a few miles up the trail and is really nice.