PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mtn - NBO: end of June

shelb
06-05-2015, 21:31
Please provide comments on Springer Mtn NBO the last quarter of June...

Heat?
Bugs?
Plant life?
Anything else?

I am hoping to complete NJ, but this might be where I am if things don't work out better.
(I had hoped to save this section for an early June hike in a couple of years....)

FatMan
06-06-2015, 16:10
I can only speak for GA. I don't get much further north that time of year.

Heat?...Warm and humid. Expect upper 70s to lower 80s. Heat won't get to you as much as the humidity. Expect to sweat and expect your hiking clothes to never dry.

Bugs?...Fortunately Georgia does not have much in the way of biting bugs. But you will have plenty of gnats. Keep moving and they won't bother you much. Stop and expect many to call you their home.

Plant life...Rhodies will be in bloom the first week of July. Based upon the Laurels this year I expect them to be spectacular.

Anything else?...if you can put up with the humidity it will be awesome. You will have the trail pretty much to yourself on weekdays but you will see quite a few hikers on the weekends. Expect afternoon thunderstorms, some can be impressive and severe. It is best to get up early and start hiking at dawn. You can put in 8 hours of hiking and beat the heat. Water conditions this year are favorable so all major sources will be running. Poison ivy is everywhere. Wear long socks and be very cautious in camp. Best to stay at shelters this time of year. Most campsites are covered. Get in the habit of washing your legs at each water source. Don't brush up against the trees on the trail. Many are covered with PI vines.

Enjoy your hike.

slbirdnerd
06-08-2015, 12:07
Great advice from FatMan! I'm done with GA but did it in June and August and any potential pitfalls were manageable. Have a great hike, wherever you end up! I'll be up around Fontana later this summer.

daddytwosticks
06-22-2015, 16:27
Just did Woody to AFSP Friday afternoon to yesterday afternoon. FatMan summed it up perfectly. Some Rhodies were blooming, plus also saw one of the last few mountain laurels and flame azaleas with blooms. Water was plentiful. :)

Tennessee Viking
06-23-2015, 08:22
Tennessee and northern NC will be hard. High humidity, high temps. Sources will be starting to dry up. Poison ivy and ticks.