PDA

View Full Version : Nido Tips and tricks ???

Rolex
06-07-2015, 22:15
Guys, I just picked up my first can of Nido milk powder. Can you give me an idea of about how much you break it down for trail meals. Can I just "dump it in" with any dry ingredients and add water later making one bag cooking?

Some of the things I eat but I'm trying to get away from boxed dinners and make my own dehydrated ones.

Mac & Cheese
Knorrs sides
cold cereal (Should this be mixed up to milk first?)
Oats
Ramen

Any and all tips, tricks, & recipes for trail cooking with Nido welcome.

Rolex

Walkintom
06-07-2015, 23:08
I always just dump a couple of spoons of it in when I add my water to the bag when I'm FBC and stir it up and it's good to go.

CarlZ993
06-07-2015, 23:16
Cold cereal: mix up 1/4 C (4 Tbsp) w/ 1 C (8 oz) water first. Add cereal afterward. Note: sometimes, the Nido doesn't want to mix like it should (don't know why it happens sometimes & not others). I use a Parkay tub & lid as my bowl. I put the lid on & shake the mixture. Usually takes care of it.
Mac & Cheese: boil 1 3/4 - 2 C water; add Mac & set pot in cozy; after 15 min or so, add 1/4 C Nido & cheese powder; stir until mixed; add meat (if applicable) & other flavorings; eat.
I generally don't add Nido to Knorr Pasta sides; personal preference.
Oats: add 1/4 C to water; add oats & place in pot cozy.
Usually don't add it to Ramen. May have to try & see how it tastes.

RangerZ
06-08-2015, 12:20
I've done Nido and Cheerios for breakfast. I just can't pour water onto my Cheerios so I put them in a separate snack ziplock with the Nido in a quart ziplock. Add water to the Nido and shake it up, then add the Cheerios.

swisscross
06-08-2015, 12:34
I have tried dried milk in the past and almost threw up it was so nasty.
Really screwed up my meals for a trip (I should have at least tried it before relying on it). Thank goodness I was able to eat fresh fish for most of my meals that week.
This was some 20 years ago and don't remember the brand but it has scared me to a point that I cannot fathom that any dried milk could taste good.

I purchased some Nido recently but I am afraid to even open it.
Please confirm that Nido is different/better enough to consume.

swisscross
06-08-2015, 12:34
Really screwed up my meals for a trip (I should have at least tried it before relying on it). Thank goodness I was able to eat fresh fish for most of my meals that week.
This was some 20 years ago and don't remember the brand but it has scared me to a point that I cannot fathom that any dried milk could taste good.

Old Hillwalker
06-08-2015, 12:48
I love Nido, the taste is just like 2% or better milk by my taste buds. I think the reason is, that the butter fat is still in the powder unlike normal dried non-fat milk. Which I agree is, like ground up chalk and water.

Tuckahoe
06-08-2015, 12:54

Many milk powders are lowfat and that rehydrated low or no fat milk tastenis what many object to. Nido is whole milk and results in a more acceptable flavor. Just go ahead and try it out.

Tuckahoe
06-08-2015, 13:00
Also one other thought. If you are using Nido, make sure you adjust the water content of you recipe up to insure there is enough water to rehydrate the milk properly within your dish for the best results.

A quarter cup of Nido makes 1 cup of milk, but it does not necessarily equals 1 cup of milk without the addition of the water.

GreatDane
06-08-2015, 13:07
Nido is much, much better than the "old" powdered milks. For Annie's white cheddar mac and cheese I add two to three teaspoons with the cheese powder and just a little water after the macaroni has cooked. You can always add more water if the Nido and cheese powder hasn't dissolved after stirring. I'd definitely try both cooking with and drinking Nido before you out, though. Everybody's tastes are different, and you might like more or less Nido than I do. I generally put what I need for a specific recipe in the corner of a small, non-ziplock sandwich bag, twist the loose part tight, tie a knot in the twisted part and cut off the excess bag. The little bag of Nido goes in the ziplock bag with the repackaged macaroni and the powdered cheese (or other ingredients for whatever I'm making). That way I don't have to fiddle with a big bag of powdered milk that might leak and I don't have to measure each time I cook something.

colorado_rob
06-08-2015, 13:09
Yeah, Nido really is pretty darn good, way better than other powdered milks, and excellent nutrition and good calories/ounce. The two main uses I have for it on the trail are:

1) Cold cereal, pre-mixed with 1/4 cup of Nido, just ad a cup of water, stir and eat. seems simpler than mixing Nido separately w/ water, but really don't see any other difference.
2) Puddings! Get those jello pudding boxes, "serves 4", split then in two, pre-mix with 1/4 cup of Nido, seal in a ziplock. On the trail, add 1 cup of cold water, mix thoroughly and enjoy! (Make sure you eat your meat first, though; how can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?) I like the oreo cookie, coconut and French vanilla flavors best.

Farr Away
06-08-2015, 16:35
I just dump it in with my FBC meals, but I'm usually not making the meals up very far ahead.

One thing to note: if you aren't going to use up the container fairly quickly (in a month, maybe?), you may want to store the opened container in the freezer. It will go bad much more quickly than nonfat dry milk.

The first time I noticed mine starting to go, I stirred it into coffee and it looked curdled. Still tasted okay at that point.

-FA

mrcoffeect
06-08-2015, 18:00
if you add nido to already boiling water it will get clumpy and not mix well.best to mix it with a little cool or warm water first.

RangerZ
06-08-2015, 20:10
Yeah, Nido really is pretty darn good, way better than other powdered milks, and excellent nutrition and good calories/ounce. The two main uses I have for it on the trail are:

1) Cold cereal, pre-mixed with 1/4 cup of Nido, just ad a cup of water, stir and eat. seems simpler than mixing Nido separately w/ water, but really don't see any other difference.
2) Puddings! Get those jello pudding boxes, "serves 4", split then in two, pre-mix with 1/4 cup of Nido, seal in a ziplock. On the trail, add 1 cup of cold water, mix thoroughly and enjoy! (Make sure you eat your meat first, though; how can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?) I like the oreo cookie, coconut and French vanilla flavors best.

+1 on the puddings

Sarcasm the elf
06-08-2015, 20:16
For cereal, I put both the powder and the cereal into a ziploc bag at home. In the morning on the trail, I just add the correct amount of water and shake. The cereal pieces do a great job of mixing up the milk powder.

Old Crock
06-09-2015, 07:20
Curious about where others have purchased Nido. Online I notice there are several varieties. Any preferred choice? Also, how is the shelf life after the can has been opened? Thanks! Obviously a "newbie" to Nido.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikes in Rain
06-09-2015, 07:26
Most folks find it in the Mexican or International food isles. I looked there in my local grocery (Publix), and struck out. Went back to the powdered milk section, resigning myself to a third rate substitute, and there it was. Hmm....Nido in the milk section. Whoda thought? :) On line might be a good source, too. Since it's whole milk, the milk fat in it shortens the shelf life quite a bit. We store ours in the freezer, which helps extend it a lot. Had some for a year or so that I couldn't tell from new, but YMMV.

Old Crock
06-09-2015, 07:56
Thanks for helping with the due diligence! Like so many others, powdered milk isn't very high on my list though I do use it some meals when rehydrating with hot water. Never cold! Personal preference.

Hikes in Rain
06-09-2015, 08:04
I like fresh milk, but drinking powdered was horrible. I did use it for cooking, though. NIDO changed that; it doesn't taste exactly like fresh, but it's a lot closer than the powdered no-fat skim stuff. And curiously, closer than the "recombined" milk we got up in Alaska back in the 70's. (We were told it's more stable to ship the solids and liquids separately, then "recombine" them. Made for an odd flavor, and for some reason, it never spoiled. Hmm...) If you like cream in your coffee, NIDO is a darned good powdered substitute.

colorado_rob
06-09-2015, 08:41
Curious about where others have purchased Nido. Online I notice there are several varieties. Any preferred choice? Also, how is the shelf life after the can has been opened? Thanks! Obviously a "newbie" to Nido.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOur Walmart carries the big cans, and have seen the smaller cans at our Krogers ("King Soopers" in these parts). Check out Walmart. A big can for us lasts about 9-12 months, never had any problem with shelf life/spoiling in that time span, but might not be applicable to you as we live in a much drier climate (Denver) than Michigan.

jdx1177
06-09-2015, 10:38
So what is the consensus on using Nido in hot coffee? Premix with water or dump straight in? I haven't had any luck finding it locally, and online pricing seemed way outta whack. Though it's probably been 6 months to a year since I've looked into it.
Great thread.

jdx1177
06-09-2015, 10:40
What is your favorite online source for Nido?

RangerZ
06-09-2015, 11:49
Also one other thought. If you are using Nido, make sure you adjust the water content of you recipe up to insure there is enough water to rehydrate the milk properly within your dish for the best results.

A quarter cup of Nido makes 1 cup of milk, but it does not necessarily equals 1 cup of milk without the addition of the water.

This is true, it took me a couple of meals to realize that the Nido was sucking up water like the dehydrated meal. Like he says, adjust the water accordingly.

Old Crock
06-09-2015, 13:34
I checked my local Walmart online (store availability) and it looks like they carry Nibo (about $16).

Rolex
06-09-2015, 17:20
I checked my local Walmart online (store availability) and it looks like they carry Nibo (about $16).

Mine also came from Walmart in the Mexican food aisle. Per some online reading I noticed that there was two versions. One is for infants. I was able to tell the difference in that the one we want says whole milk as the first ingredient. $4.48 for a 12.6 ounce (360 grams) can.

The Cleaner
06-09-2015, 18:24
I've been using Nido for a few years now.To mix it to drink you need to put about half of the water you will be using in a container and add the milk powder to the water.If you try other ways sometimes you end up with clumpy unmixed milk.I bought a 16oz Nalgene just for this.I start with about 8 ounces of water plus the Nido,then screw the top and shake.Open up and add more water and close and shake.Add a Carnation Instant Breakfast then mix that and weight a few minutes.Tastes great too.I also use the Nalgene for mixing flavored drink mixes at lunch and for breaks in warmer weather.I never mix anything in my primary canteen.Just rinse your mixing container with a little water or it might get funky if left in a pack all day in hot weather.

Hikes in Rain
06-09-2015, 20:27
So what is the consensus on using Nido in hot coffee? Premix with water or dump straight in? I haven't had any luck finding it locally, and online pricing seemed way outta whack. Though it's probably been 6 months to a year since I've looked into it.
Great thread.

I add it straight, but try to sprinkle rather than dump. Occasionally get a clump or two, but since I make cowboy coffee, there's usually a few grounds, too. Just sip, and toss the last spoonful or so.

zelph
06-09-2015, 23:44
Put cereal in bowl, add water and then sprinkle desired amount of Nido over the entire surface....enjoy :-)

Farr Away
06-10-2015, 15:35
Great thread.

I dump it straight in. Never had a problem getting it to mix. Only problem I ever saw was with a can that had gotten a little old - it still mixed; it just looked kind of curdled. I've noticed the same thing with my half and half at home when it starts to get old.

-FA

Sheriff Cougar
06-15-2015, 00:29
I am a milk lover, whole milk. I was told about the Nido and I was skeptical. I mixed some up and put it in a container then put it in the fridge to get cold. Once it got cold I tried it and now drink the Nido instead of whole milk from the store. A bonus is that I can always have it on hand in the pantry and it won't go bad.

Obiwan
01-05-2017, 18:24
Because of the fats it DOES have a shelf life

Other than that it is a great source of extra calories

Sarcasm the elf
01-05-2017, 19:11
Since this got bumped up, I thought it's worth mentioning that I use powdered goat's milk instead of Nido. Goat's milk is available in the healthfood section or occasionally baby/kids section of most grocery stores. It is often found in smaller containers which works well for me since I don't use it often. It is also lactose free which makes it a good option for people who can't drink regular milk.

DownEaster
03-17-2017, 03:10
I measure Nido Fortificada, old fashioned oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon into a ziploc bag for a single breakfast. In camp I dump the bag contents in my cook pot and add the right amount of water, stir constantly as I bring it to a boil, then take the pot off the stove and put it in my homemade cozy for about 10 minutes to substitute for the normal 5 minute cooking time for old fashioned oats. By the time I finish my mug of tea the oatmeal is ready. The result is so much tastier than instant oatmeal with boiled water added that these really shouldn't be in the same category, even though the cooking (water boiling) time is identical.

Old fashioned oats give the breakfast better texture and taste. Nido Fortificada adds creamy goodness. Nido combines best if you mix it with warm water, and you need to stir the oatmeal anyway as you heat it to boiling. It all comes together very well.

zelph
03-17-2017, 12:47
I am a milk lover, whole milk. I was told about the Nido and I was skeptical. I mixed some up and put it in a container then put it in the fridge to get cold. Once it got cold I tried it and now drink the Nido instead of whole milk from the store. A bonus is that I can always have it on hand in the pantry and it won't go bad.

Same here....love my milk and was pleased with the flavor of Nido. All powdered milk takes good if correctly measured, shaken well and refrigerated before serving.

RangerZ
03-17-2017, 16:52
Put cereal in bowl, add water and then sprinkle desired amount of Nido over the entire surface....enjoy :-)

i just cannot pour water on my Cherrios. I mix the Nido in a quart ziplock and then add the Cherrios from a pint ziplock. Pouring water on Cherrios just isn't right, I mean, the Lone Ranger never did ( revealing my age).

zelph
03-17-2017, 22:15
i just cannot pour water on my Cherrios. I mix the Nido in a quart ziplock and then add the Cherrios from a pint ziplock. Pouring water on Cherrios just isn't right, I mean, the Lone Ranger never did ( revealing my age).

Tonto taught the Lone Ranger to do the water over Wheaties and then add milkweed juice over the top of that. And that's where it all started:D

The Lone Ranger was quick to correct Tonto and informed him the Milkweed Juice was to be added to milk to curddle it so he could have his favorite cheese for breakfast along side his Wheaties. He later added the Wheaties to the cheese curd, added dried grapes and created his first energy bar.

orthofingers
03-18-2017, 15:19
All powdered milk takes good if correctly measured, shaken well and refrigerated before serving.

I'm not so sure I'd agree with "All powdered milk", but I do agree that Nido is the best tasting powdered milk I've ever tried.

Venchka
03-18-2017, 16:28
Back in the Dark Ages, powdered milk from India was highly regarded versus Carnation Instant. I have yet to find it.
The Nido quality stands to reason since it also comes from a country where refrigeration is not widely available.
Wayne

zelph
03-18-2017, 17:28
The powder milk producing companies "HAD" to make it taste good or else:D Serving it well mixed, in the correct proportion and chilled is the best kept secret to powdered milk ;)