PDA

View Full Version : Kelly kettle

bikebum1975
06-08-2015, 14:21
Yep did a search already well a quickie one lol I'm lazy sometimes. Anyways wondering how many on here use one? I just landed one as a trade last night is an aluminum basecamp modle. Yeah don't think I'd hike with it due to the bulk it's mainly when I ride and go fishing

T.S.Kobzol
06-08-2015, 14:43
I have one and even though it's sort of cool I have never quite warmed up to it. Mostly because the regular size is too little liquid for my cooking and the large size is just too large...when car camping we would usually have canisters and cook that way.

Yep did a search already well a quickie one lol I'm lazy sometimes. Anyways wondering how many on here use one? I just landed one as a trade last night is an aluminum basecamp modle. Yeah don't think I'd hike with it due to the bulk it's mainly when I ride and go fishing

750ml
10-24-2015, 19:49
I love the Kelly Kettle! It's very clever, but I can't for the life of me figure why I need one other than as a collectable. Too heavy for the trail, can't cook in it,can't wash it out, and if I'm car camping I'll have much better options.

bikebum1975
10-26-2015, 19:00
I love the Kelly Kettle! It's very clever, but I can't for the life of me figure why I need one other than as a collectable. Too heavy for the trail, can't cook in it,can't wash it out, and if I'm car camping I'll have much better options.
You really don't need to clean it out it's only for boiling water anyways. Can't cook in it but ya can on it. Yeah I've been reading up on them more since posting this

psyculman
10-27-2015, 04:04
I have a Kelly-M. It weighs 13 oz. $80

I don't use it very often.

The small hole in the top is a little difficult to fill from hiking water carriers, (w/o a funnel) and it is not possible to fill with snow at all. The winter use is what I would have liked most. Also, the soot and small pieces of burned material spill into the boiling water when it is poured out. And, un-burned twigs also get down the center tube and all over the place. Of course, the burning material has to be re-started between every fill up. I made a little fan to help force air into the burning cup, which greatly helps speed the boiling by increasing the draft up the chimney tube. The fan weighs about two ounces, is made from a PC mother board fan, and runs on a 9 volt. battery.

The Kelley-M does however need very little burning material to boil water, the smallest of twigs will do it fairly fast, or use a alcohol burner, Esbit, etc. Probably alcohol poured into the cup would work, I never tried that. Even damp or wet stuff gets going. It really puts out a lot of heat. Haven't tried using the top of the chimney to cook anything yet.