PDA

View Full Version : Hiking hut to hut on the AT in NH

backpacker451
06-08-2015, 16:33
Planning on doing the white mountains this year or the next and wanted to know if it is possible to do just by reserving the huts and carrying a day pack? A little back story, we have 800 miles of the trail done just by day hiking. Our regular miles are usally 10 to 14 mile average, but we have done a 20 once and quite a few 16 mile days. If anyone has done it, I like to hear how it was.

kayak karl
06-08-2015, 17:31
I would not use a day pack without a shelter.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Slo-go'en
06-08-2015, 17:38
Yes, it can be done and it is how most do it. You will likely have to make reservations now for next year. Go for late August or early September. The AMC web site will tell you the recommended gear to carry. Mostly clothes and good rain/wind protection.

peakbagger
06-09-2015, 09:48
Yes if you have deep pockets, AMC will gladly host you at their huts. If you want to be guided they offer that option. The prime weeks are booked months in advance although the guided trips usually reserve blocks. The major caveat is that no matter what you pay, you cant reserve good weather. The AT runs along to major ridgelines and every storm within 100 miles usually finds it way to those ridgelines. If you get caught in bad weather at one hut and cant make the next, you have to drop down off the ridge, hop an AMC shuttle and hike back up on the ridge most likely with a night at either Pinkham or the Highland Center to get back on track. You cant just shift your itinerary one day. Trying to make it between huts on a real bad day is not inconvenient, it can be dangerous and most folks who try regret it.

They advertise that hikers can use a day pack but the recommended gear list is a lot more extensive then what most folks would typically carry. Plan on an overnight sized backpack. If the weather is bad even in the summer, near winter gear is needed. The wind can and does exceed 100 mph most months and it has snowed every month of the year. If there is a thunderstorm within 100 miles it will most likely end up going over Washington.

Despite the price, the huts are not luxury accommodations, the bunkrooms are cramped and loud all night long. Bring earplugs and a sleeping mask as there are always folks moving around. There are no showers or places to clean your clothes and the hiker funk is very obvious. They cram the huts to capacity so when indoors you had better like people. Bring lots of cash as the hut crews are very effective at extorting tips from the guests. Only three of the huts are "must visits" due to the their location, Lake of Clouds (AKA lake of the crowds), Madison and Greenleaf both are above treeline with incredible views, the other huts are below treeline and the views are far less. Many folks who do decide to do the hut to hut take a break halfway through at Crawford Notch for a night or two at the Highland center (or somewhat less expensive Shapleigh lodge) to get rested up and showered. Saturday nights book early so it may be way of skipping Saturday night at a hut. In shape day hikers routinely do a one day Presidential Traverse which effectively does the stretch from Madison to Mitzpah in one day plus getting on and off the ridge but most folks who do it will need a day or two off.

Thruhikers have slacked the whites but it adds a lot more elevation each day. Many hut to hut folks skip Lonesome Lake as logistically it doesn't buy them much. Many folks assume that they can hike from Kinsman Notch to Lonesome lake in a reasonable day, in shape through hikers can do it but many end up at Eliza Brook shelter wondering what happened to their daily mileage. AMC assumes that you would hike from Crawford Notch to Lonesome Lake but its real short day (1 hour) and they don't offer shuttles to Kinsman Notch so you will need to car spot of hire a shuttle. Skipping Carter Notch is also done but the day hike from Pinkham to Gorham is far longer than many expect and many folks ending up bailing.

If you want a far more pleasurable hut to hut for the same or less money, Maine Huts and Trails in Maine is an option but it doesn't follow the AT (but is nearby).

DavidNH
06-09-2015, 11:41
yes you can hike hut to hut with only a day pack (say 3000 cubic inches... you still need warm clothes). Plan to reserve months in advance and spend a minimum of 100 dollars PER person per night. closer to140 or 150 on Saturday night. You save a little money if you are an AMC member but not much. I am not joking about these prices. You can see for your self at outdoors.org. The trail in the whites is VERY well traveled. You won't be alone and it would be difficult to get lost.

Water Rat
06-09-2015, 12:08
The AMC does run summer specials for members and those who become members to take part in the specials. New members can save $25 on a lodge or hut stay. The current special is Save 10% on a 3-night stay, or 20% on a 5-night stay, at our New Hampshire and Maine Lodges and Huts. This offer is available during the full-service season, Sunday-Friday, at any combination of AMC huts, the Highland Center, Joe Dodge Lodge, Little Lyford, and Gorman Chairback.

I have taken friends (who might not have otherwise been able to manage the Whites at the time) on a hut to hut hike. They had a blast and it was a great way to slowly introduce them to backpacking. Each and every one of them now partakes in long distance hiking. We took part in the 5-night stay and it averaged out to $69 a night that way. This was a few years ago, but I would do it again if it meant I could introduce more friends to hiking and then backpacking.

backpacker451
06-09-2015, 12:34
Thank you for the all the info. This was actually my dad's idea because he is 69 and I think carrying a pack would make his shoulder and hip pain worse. I 'm sure eventually we have to go backpacking, but the whites are a bit much. I read the list of things to bring, so if I pack those in addition to a emergency bivy or some sort of shelter, is it a good idea? I also have a delorme inreach and plan on buying a NH hike safe card. My mom will be around the area for shuttles. The last bits are for my mom's peace of mind.

peakbagger
06-09-2015, 13:54
Definitely plan on a rest day mid week at the RT 302 crossing. Its a logical stopping place and the hike up Webster Cliff trail is quite steep. If you start at the Franconia parkway (I93) the first day, the climb to Franconia Ridge via Liberty is also a steep climb.

I carry a foil bivy but a lightweight sil nylon tarp can be used as a burrito wrap for two.

There are some slackpacking options, the "easiest" is to go up Caps Ridge trail and hike north to Madison Hut or hike south the Lake of the clouds. The trailhead is around 3000 feet so it splits the hike from Lake of the Clouds to Madison into two pieces. This gives you plenty of time to enjoy the extensive above treeline area north of Mt Washington.

peakbagger
06-09-2015, 13:54
Definitely plan on a rest day mid week at the RT 302 crossing. Its a logical stopping place and the hike up Webster Cliff trail is quite steep. If you start at the Franconia parkway (I93) the first day, the climb to Franconia Ridge via Liberty is also a steep climb.

I carry a foil bivy but a lightweight sil nylon tarp can be used as a burrito wrap for two.

There are some slackpacking options, the "easiest" is to go up Caps Ridge trail and hike north to Madison Hut or hike south the Lake of the clouds. The trailhead is around 3000 feet so it splits the hike from Lake of the Clouds to Madison into two pieces. This gives you plenty of time to enjoy the extensive above treeline area north of Mt Washington.

TomN
06-10-2015, 08:10
I did a 3 hut trip with my family a few years ago. With 10 and 12 year old kids it made for long days but was great.

magneto
06-13-2015, 15:45
All this makes the Whites great. I love the unpredictability.

I'm heading out myself to Monson to hike southbound tomorrow. I expect to be in the Whites on the 4th of July weekend. I'm making no plans - just going to wing it.

I've already climbed 41 of the 48, including all of the ones on the AT. There are places to legally camp - I plan to avoid the huts completely as I pass through on my way to Vermont. It can be done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk