PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Marmot Never Summer 0° Bag?

IDriveB5
11-16-2005, 02:06
REI has it on sale for $180, wondering what your thoughts were on this bag for winter backpacking. me need something warm.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/e2/18/otdrCampingSleeping_BagsAllMarmot_Never_Summer_Sle eping_Bag_0_Degree_Down1-resized200.jpg
600 fill goose down
4# total

i currently have a north face "palisades" synthetic bag and i am looking for an upgrade(both in warmth and comfort department.)

thanks!
daniel

Almost There
11-16-2005, 09:51
Spend a little over $100 more and get a Marmot Helium, 15 degrees and under 2lbs!!! This things loft is unbelievable, and it packs down as small as a 2 liter bottle!

4lbs is kinda heavy for a down bag. That would make it my heaviest piece of gear, unless I decided to carry my expedition backpack. I would say you should try to keep bag weight under 3lbs, and this is definitely true if you are buying down!

IDriveB5
11-16-2005, 16:30
im a lot more concerned with warmth than weight, im 21 and in good shape. maybe when im old and rich ill buy all light weight stuff :p

TooTall
11-16-2005, 20:25
Spend a little over $100 more and get a Marmot Helium, 15 degrees and under 2lbs!!! This things loft is unbelievable, and it packs down as small as a 2 liter bottle!

Ditto! I just bought the Long Helium which is right at 2lbs. With the loft it feels like you're sleeping on a pillow.

Too Tall Paul

MacGyver2005
11-17-2005, 09:32
im a lot more concerned with warmth than weight, im 21 and in good shape. maybe when im old and rich ill buy all light weight stuff :p

It depends on where you will be winter camping. If you are staying in the MD area (I live in Southern MD) then the Helium would work great. My father has one and loves it, and I would pick one up without hesitation. If you are winter hiking you will have a hat, gloves, etc. along anyway, just in case the temperature drops more than planned overnight.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Almost There
11-17-2005, 10:12

Listen here young man! That hurts being called an old man, I just turned 31 and am very sensitive about my age, if we meet up on the trail I just might have to trounce you to show you what's what!:-?

Buy the bag you want, but you shouldn't need a zero bag, unless your planning on hiking north of Pa in the winter!

You can have your youth!!! Danggumit! I'll take my wisdom anyday! Youth is wasted on the YOUNG!!!:D

IDriveB5
11-17-2005, 18:16
31? thats not THAT old.:p

if we meet up on the trail I just might have to trounce you to show you what's what!
was that an invite? i always enjoy spending time with the elderly :banana just kidding...

the small pack size of the helium is tempting, thats one thing i definately dislike about the bag i have now is it doesnt pack down very small.

Almost There
11-17-2005, 21:25
That's why I decided to go with it, I have never seen a bad review of it, and it will amaze you with how much loft it has, this is a bag that if you take care of it will last you almost forever!

IDriveB5
11-20-2005, 15:39
also was looking at the REI kilo plus. looks like a nice bag and @2#14oz it more reasonable in the weight department

IDriveB5
12-05-2005, 22:35
anyone have^^

or at least opinions on rei gear?

Miss Janet
12-06-2005, 22:53
I see a lot of SoBo Thruhikers and winter section hikers that will tell you that a 20% bag is often not warm enough here. It gets COLD down here in the south! Last night it was about 8 degrees up on the mountain and the SoBo's in 20 % bags had a very cold night.

Remember that a bag rating is based on a military rating system. The military system says that a 20% rated bag means you will not DIE when it gets down to 20% but it doesn't mean you will be "comfortable" at 20%.

STAY WARM!

smokymtnsteve
12-06-2005, 23:19
oh 8 degrees and damp down south thar..

right now in Two Rivers AK we have 20 above...so it's colder thar!!!

IDriveB5
12-09-2005, 16:36
Remember that a bag rating is based on a military rating system. The military system says that a 20% rated bag means you will not DIE when it gets down to 20% but it doesn't mean you will be "comfortable" at 20%.

STAY WARM!

Im refering to the REI Kilo Plus 0° bag, as shown by this link (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47694727&parent_category_rn=4500515&vcat=REI_SEARCH)
i definitely wouldnt go with a 20° bag, not warm enough for winter hikes